Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front ball joints are looking pretty cracked on my RL at 160k. Thinking of replacing the whole LCA. I was reading about going with OEM vs. Aftermarket. And someone mentioned mevotech having a more heavyduty product to OE. Any recommendations or comparisons out there?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Front ball joints are looking pretty cracked on my RL at 160k. Thinking of replacing the whole LCA. I was reading about going with OEM vs. Aftermarket. And someone mentioned mevotech having a more heavyduty product to OE. Any recommendations or comparisons out there?
If it were me, I'd want some validation of that "heavier duty" claim. Like specs of some kind. It's possible to look & feel heavier (& actually weigh more) if 'lesser' materials are being used. So, while I might invite a "better" part, I'd want something to confirm that's actually the case.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,587 Posts
I don't think that there are any issues with the stock ball joint being problematic. They do wear out / get cracked rubber (not sure that the cracked rubber is a problem until it cracks all the way through and allows the lubricant to leak out) but replacing with a "heavier duty" unit doesn't seem to be necessary. The OEM part will almost certainly fit perfectly and give you another 100k (at least) worth of trouble free service and the cost difference (when bought on line) isn't worth (to me anyway) the gamble with aftermarket fit and quality.

My 06 has had a hard life of construction duty and third world quality city roads and my front compliance bushings are close to being ready for replacement. I would bet at 160k that yours are getting a bit worn too. All the more reason to replace the entire assembly. I will be using OEM parts when I change out the fronts in a month or so.

In case you are interested, I will also be replacing my rear lower control arms. I don't think the parts are worn out but the rear alignment adjustment bolts (toe I believe??) are completely seized to the control arm bushings making it impossible to correct the mild out of alignment condition that my ridge has. Cutting/drilling the bolt heads and replacing the arms is the only real fix. I would venture to say that this is a hidden "problem" that many Ridgeline's probably have in wet / snowy areas where salting is used. If your rear alignment is OK, It is probably not worth replacing.

Have fun!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the thoughtful posts. I have always replaced with OEM. Just looking for any validation to such claims. Yeah my front compliance bushings look cracked and ready to spill last time I pulled the wheels off.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I purchased my replacements from rock auto.com. I ordered some mevotechs multiple times but they kept coming in with a cut in the ball joint boots. So after 3 reorders i just told them to send me the dorman replacements. identical construction to the OEM. Probably lesser quality bushings. So if you dont feel like doing this again for a long time..get the honda ones. If you dont plan on keeping the truck for awhile or tight pocket book get the mevotech ones. Im sure the ball joints and bushings are equivalent to the OEM. I offroad mine alot so I didn't feel like killing the expensive OEM ones.

Reason for my replacement is the horizontal bushings were almost torn all the way through from doing some gnarly trails. Ball joints were completely fine and still stiff at 150k ish

1 - 5 of 5 Posts