Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got new springs from @Jason B installed.

In one word - Confidence.

I'm impressed. This is my best mod yet. Improved both performance and comfort. Yep, I just said that. I wouldn't call it a sports car, but it is pretty darn good for a truck.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks nice. How was the alignment? You put in the rear adjustable joints? I've been mulling this over myself for like...months. @Jason B needs to have a sale!!!
I know there is a thread on that but I called Jason before hand and he said he sold over a hundred of these and only a few people had problems - Well I'm not one of them. I had them professionally installed and aligned. They came in spec for camber. No adjustable joints needed. I was so happy I tipped the installer.

I've been driving it around for 2 days now on backroads and highways. I have driven pretty fast around 270 degree corner and it is planted now AND better ride. It basically feels like a good quality car ride.

If you are thinking about it - do it. I would do it again without hesitating.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably the only this I noticed is less travel on speed bumps... so maybe a little sharper on speed bumps. But better everywhere else I think.

·
Premium Member
2020 Black Edition
85 Posts
Just got new springs from @Jason B installed.
Looks great!!!

Got mine done last month. I noticed speed bumps seem harsher right away and it doesn't dance/wiggle as much either. I thought overall it rode just as good at first but now that I've got a few more miles on it, I think it's a bit harsher. Girl friend noticed right away. I though she was kidding but now I don't. Only true way would be drive a stocker on the same path back to back. But it's that close. Wished the springs had a shade more progressive wind as that would have solved a lot but at the sacrifice load limit. I rarely haul so I'm fine with that. Say, how bad was your total damage for install and alignment?

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great!!!

Got mine done last month. I noticed speed bumps seem harsher right away and it doesn't dance/wiggle as much either. I thought overall it rode just as good at first but now that I've got a few more miles on it, I think it's a bit harsher. Girl friend noticed right away. I though she was kidding but now I don't. Only true way would be drive a stocker on the same path back to back. But it's that close. Wished the springs had a shade more progressive wind as that would have solved a lot but at the sacrifice load limit. I rarely haul so I'm fine with that. Say, how bad was your total damage for install and alignment?
Looking good.

$400 install

$125 alignment

I tipped him $35 after I found out it came in alignment.

I have mostly driven on good roads and freeways and it feels great to me. Maybe after time I will have a better feel for it. If it is harsher it is not by that much. I'm not really noticing it yet except speed bumps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks great man. Stance is great. 👍

What window vent visors are those? They look slick.
thanks... and I can’t remember the name of them now. I’ll have to google again and find lol... but they are oem knock offs. Identical to factory but half the price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking good.

$400 install

$125 alignment

I tipped him $35 after I found out it came in alignment.

I have mostly driven on good roads and freeways and it feels great to me. Maybe after time I will have a better feel for it. If it is harsher it is not by that much. I'm not really noticing it yet except speed bumps.

Just curious how does this effect towing - either capacity or handling ? I've a small travel trailer to pull don't want to effect that function for the looks of the truck

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tow 4210 dry weight and 590 lbs on hitch. It is about 4500 with normal load and tanks dry. This is pretty close to max limits. I do use a weight distribution hitch. Without the WDH there would be considerable squat. But with this setup and loaded cab, the front and rear wheels wells are within 1/2 inch of each other - essentially even. There is plenty of travel and doesnt bottom out. The cruise is smooth with no harshness. The center of gravity is lower which is better for towing and stability is great. In short, I love it and have no problems at all like this. I am not in a hilly area so the 6spd tranny works fine for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
wow that's quite the set up ! mine looks so tiny compared to your rig.. but it's only 2800 lbs dry... and I still use a WDH too !

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking good! There is no negative for a WDH imo. Some people complain it is extra work, but it is very easy and quick if you know how to use the jack to set and release the tension. Takes me 1 minute and get great peace of mind.

You have nothing to worry about with the Burtmann springs. They are heavy duty and handle towing perfectly for me.

·
Premium Member
2020 Black Edition
85 Posts
UPDATE as of 10/25/2020:
Was hoping for more of a dropped look. I don't haul much but added two 70lb sandbags in the trunk for winter. That helped a liittle. Definitely harsher ride now that I've had a chance to really test it out. Wished I hadn't done it now. Wasn't worth the cost and effort to me, IMHO. If the springs were more progressively wound to take out the harshness on speed bumps or road dips like bridges,etc. then I'd have been satisfied. As is, I'll be looking into air ride or mag controlled suspension on my next ride that some of the new electrics are adding. Wish someone would come up with something like this for the Ridgeline as an aftermarket add on. Oh well, live and learn.

·
Registered
94 Posts
UPDATE as of 10/25/2020:
Was hoping for more of a dropped look. I don't haul much but added two 70lb sandbags in the trunk for winter. That helped a liittle. Definitely harsher ride now that I've had a chance to really test it out. Wished I hadn't done it now. Wasn't worth the cost and effort to me, IMHO. If the springs were more progressively wound to take out the harshness on speed bumps or road dips like bridges,etc. then I'd have been satisfied. As is, I'll be looking into air ride or mag controlled suspension on my next ride that some of the new electrics are adding. Wish someone would come up with something like this for the Ridgeline as an aftermarket add on. Oh well, live and learn.
Thanks for the feedback. I was interested in these springs, but could not find where Jason Burtman stated the spring rates. I’ve seen multiple threads where he’s been asked and to my knowledge never addressed. I will never buy springs where the seller won’t state the spring rates. Seems shady. Search continues for a proper suspension setup!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I installed my new Burtman lowering springs this past weekend in my garage. The rears are simple, 2 bolts and 3 nuts to remove. You can almost install the new rear springs without compressing them. The fronts are more complicated, but nothing too hard. You really need two guys for the fronts to rehang the struts, but all in all, not that bad. The springs are different front and rear, left and right and top and bottom - you just need to pay attention when you take the struts apart (we didn't and got one of the front struts reassembled with the spring hiupside down and had to redo it). Other than a spring compressor and a 36mm socket to loosen the front axle, the rest of the tools needed are pretty common. Thanks to whoever posted the torque specs for the Ridgeline, they were very useful. I'm not sure why it talked about needing to replace the nuts and bolts involved, none of them are single use fasteners. My truck ended up 2" lower front and rear and looks much better. My wife thinks that the ride improved though I can't tell much difference. It's definitely not worse. The camber and caster were well within spec and only the toe needed adjustment. The free height of the new springs was right at 2" lower than the stock springs. Given that my truck ended up 2" lower when the springs were installed I feel that the spring rate was the about the same for both springs.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Given that my truck ended up 2" lower when the springs were installed I feel that the spring rate was the about the same for both springs.
Agree. There is less travel, which you do feel over speed bumps, but not too bad. Overall not much change from stock with more stable and predictable ride.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts