Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
currently own 5 Hondas, oops, now 4 Hondas. 2-CRVs, 2-RLs, just traded 2011 Pilot EXL for 2015 Toyota Highlander Limited. Not impressed with new Pilot or MDX design and tired of slow to market redesigns with no information & old technology. Read to many new MDX reviews from unsatisfied buyers. Will trade 2010 RL for new truck in 2016, Honda will have to win me back, right now not impressed and Honda has lost their edge.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Yep. I had 5 Honda's two years ago and I'm down to 2. I have a little interest in a turbo hrv but other than that I'm probably not a Honda owner in two years.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
It is possible one of the reasons for the RL mum- besides normal Honda secrecy- is they would like to get a look at the 2016 Tacomas and Frontiers before deciding on a feature-strategy for the RL... not a bad idea really. It will benefit everyone, whether you end up with an RL or not, if these 3 trucks offer distinctly different characteristics so everyone can choose what is best for their needs, currenty meaning Tacoma for offroad, Frontier for powertrain, and RL for well-roundedness (consider the Colorado obsolete after these 3 new trucks appear). It would be really sad if the 3 trucks meld together in a rush for center ground...

Honda will sell oodles of Pilots, and Toyota will sell oodles of Highlanders, and hopefully they offer different enough experiences to keep the segment competitive.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I don't believe you are the only one that feels the way you do about Honda.
Yeah, I feel that way too. After owning 7 Hondas, we now own two Toyotas: a 2014 4Runner set up for off-roading (what a RL just can't do) and a 2015 Highlander Limited Platinum. At this point we are VERY pleased with both vehicles, and neither has VCM or anything like it!

:act030:

BTW- the Platinum adds several things over the regular Limited, like a panoramic sunroof, heated steering wheel, heated rear seats and the Technology Package (offered as an option on the regular Limited, but hard to find).

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Yeah, I feel that way too. After owning 7 Hondas, we now own two Toyotas: a 2014 4Runner set up for off-roading (what a RL just can't do) and a 2015 Highlander Limited Platinum. At this point we are VERY pleased with both vehicles, and neither has VCM or anything like it!
If I could talk myself out of needing a truck bed a 4Runner Trail Edition or 4Runner Pro would be my next vehicle purchase.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
It is possible one of the reasons for the RL mum- besides normal Honda secrecy- is they would like to get a look at the 2016 Tacomas and Frontiers before deciding on a feature-strategy for the RL...
Anything is possible, but Honda could loosen up a bit and maybe generate a little buzz about the next gen RL with more sketches or "leaked" spy shots. They don't have to release any info on features or trim levels -- we already have a sense of those from the new Pilot and Joe's posts.

I was reading a post (from C&D I think) where a Honda rep was quoted as saying they know they can't afford to screw up the new RL. They need to get it right with this truck. I assume that means they need to capture a bigger share of the market or the RL will be history. That fits with Honda not wanting another model failure (ie, Element, Crosstour, CR-Z). If all this is true, you might think Honda will give us a Gen2 Ridge that is just as capable or more so for truck duties (incuding off-pavement travel) as Gen1, and doesn't have the face of a mini-van.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I don't understand why anybody thinks they screwed up the first one. I think they got is exactly right. What they failed to do was advertise it. My 08 RTL was probably the best vehicle I ever owned. It did everything I ever asked of it and did it well. Dumbass me, on a whim, traded it. I'd have a new Gen II now if they were available but I don't know what another year will bring.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I don't understand why anybody thinks they screwed up the first one. I think they got is exactly right. What they failed to do was advertise it...
No doubt most RL owners would totally agree. I think the reference was more about low sales than vehicle design. Advertising was poor at best, but even so, press reports indicated the unconventional styling turned away many potential buyers. The other issue that knocked the Ridge out of consideration was the perception of giving up full size pickup capabilities while gaining nothing in fuel efficiency.

This is just my take, but I think the logic goes like this: Honda attempted to get a foot in the door of the very hot pickup truck market with the Gen1. It was full of innovation, won awards and got high praise from Consumer Reports. But sales floundered badly for lots of reasons. Starting with more conventional styling and higher fuel efficiency, Honda wants another chance with the next gen. Yes, they have to do a much better job marketing it to targeted buyers and keeping it fresh. Currently, their production capacity is limited but they need to sell more Ridgelines to stay in the game.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know how you feel. Have owned 5 Hondas. I'm currently down to my wifes CR-V and my daughters Fit. I'm now driving a Grand Cherokee which for the most part has driven extremely well. I loved my Ridgeline, but don't feel the same about Honda anymore. Gen II will hopefully be the one to bring me back. If not...well, there's always the Santa Cruz...

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,609 Posts
currently own 5 Hondas, oops, now 4 Hondas. 2-CRVs, 2-RLs, just traded 2011 Pilot EXL for 2015 Toyota Highlander Limited. Not impressed with new Pilot or MDX design and tired of slow to market redesigns with no information & old technology. Read to many new MDX reviews from unsatisfied buyers. Will trade 2010 RL for new truck in 2016, Honda will have to win me back, right now not impressed and Honda has lost their edge.
Just curious . . .Are the new Pilots at the dealers? Did you test drive a new Pilot or just don't like what it looks like or other details? Did it take too long to be revised? The reviews that I have read have been quite positive and aesthetics aside, the new Pilot really should be a MUCH better vehicle than the current highlander.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what is the difference of limited vs limited platinum
The Limited Platnum we looked at had the full roof glass which we didn't like. That was the reason, we chose the Limited. Plus the Limited they had in color we liked had all the accessories we wanted (running boards, body side moldings, etc.). Fell in love with the Highlander styling, very pleased with purchase.

My family can't believe I didn't buy a Honda.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Funny, I went the other way Toyota >>>Honda

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Just curious . . .Are the new Pilots at the dealers? Did you test drive a new Pilot or just don't like what it looks like or other details? Did it take too long to be revised? The reviews that I have read have been quite positive and aesthetics aside, the new Pilot really should be a MUCH better vehicle than the current highlander.
Don't like the looks of new Pilot and expect them to start showing up at dealers any day. Have no doubt Honda will have no trouble selling them, just won't be selling one to me.

Additionally, not interested in buying an early production Pilot given the choppy MDX launch and quality complaints from buyers. We'll see if Honda can regain their once respected position amongst auto mfrs. I really hope they do and from my seat the Gen II RL will have allot to do with that. In the meantime, I'm lovin the new Highlander. Always hated the look of my Pilot but loved how it drove and its functionality. With the new HL, very satisfied in all areas so far.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Funny, I went the other way Toyota >>>Honda
I went Toyota>>>Honda>>>Toyota. To me, Toyota seems to have really stepped up their game in the last several years, while Honda has not. I got SOOOO tired of hearing "It was designed that way." or "They are all like that." from our Honda Service writers whenever I had a complaint (mostly about road/wind noises, droning {due to ECM} or poor gas mileage). Honda needs to train those guys to provide much better excuses as to why Hondas are the way they are. While I'm sure those two statements are accurate, that doesn't make it right in my book.

Also, Honda needs to make it crystal clear from day 1 that the RL Gen2 isn't intended to be a great off-road vehicle, which was/is one of the biggest complaints voiced about the Gen1 RL. I know that's one of the three main reasons we no longer own a RL (the other two are terrible gas mileage {14-15} and excessive road/wind noise).

·
Registered
175 Posts
You know, about two more new/redesigns that honda DOESN'T hit out of the park, and they's gonna start feeling the pinch. That crap from the last decade of: "We're going to do it our way, and we don't care what anyone else thinks". That stuff just ain't gonna cut it any more with the way EVERYONE else has stepped up their game.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Had 2 Hondas, now 0. I would still love to have the RL as a weekend truck but just not in the cards right now.
Wife sold her pilot and didn't want an suv. Looked at accords, too much $ for basic car with out any features. We Got the cc. Man that thing is a cruiser and everyone ask what it is.
I guess the vw cc is the same Ridgeline.
Anyways.
I'm sure advertising has something to do with it. But Honda did not adap to want consumers want.
If they made some adjustments to the awd to make it more user friendly and more off road capable. Also Needs better mpgs for mid size.
I still think the RL is the most practical truck out there for a weekend warrior. Wish they would step up their game.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
No doubt most RL owners would totally agree. I think the reference was more about low sales than vehicle design. Advertising was poor at best, but even so, press reports indicated the unconventional styling turned away many potential buyers. The other issue that knocked the Ridge out of consideration was the perception of giving up full size pickup capabilities while gaining nothing in fuel efficiency.

This is just my take, but I think the logic goes like this: Honda attempted to get a foot in the door of the very hot pickup truck market with the Gen1. It was full of innovation, won awards and got high praise from Consumer Reports. But sales floundered badly for lots of reasons. Starting with more conventional styling and higher fuel efficiency, Honda wants another chance with the next gen. Yes, they have to do a much better job marketing it to targeted buyers and keeping it fresh. Currently, their production capacity is limited but they need to sell more Ridgelines to stay in the game.

I am totally with you on this line of thinking. I would like to add a couple more reasons that clearly influenced the apparent malaise at Honda we understand now with respect to the Ridgeline. Those would be making decisions to make vehicles they could sell in order to make it through the worst economic recession since the big one in the early 1930's, as well as $4.00 (+ or -) a gallon gas across the country. Honda has always been deeply committed to the "green" end of the auto world so making big gas guzzling trucks wasn't their first order of concern during the past 6-8 years.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I purchased a 15 Limited Platinum in November and I'm fairly pleased with it but I think the Entune is difficult to use.

I put a bypass switch in so we can program the navigation while moving and also put in a switch so I can turn on the rear camera while driving.

CGM55123 it looks like we are almost neighbors.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts