Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'21 RTL
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be hitting the slopes nearly every week this winter, so I'm looking for winter tires for my 2021 Ridgeline. Problem is, most of the snow tires that fit the Ridgeline do not indicate if they're rated for light duty trucks. Any recommendations? I'd prefer not to go with studs.

·
Registered
482 Posts
On my Gen 1 Ridgline I’ve been running Blizzaks DVMs for years, in size 235/65-18. It’s generally a good idea to go one size narrower and taller in a snow tire - cuts through the deep stuff better and gives you just a little more sidewall in case you encounter anything unexpected. I live in the White Mountains and the Blizzaks have been amazing.

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
I'll be hitting the slopes nearly every week this winter, so I'm looking for winter tires for my 2021 Ridgeline. Problem is, most of the snow tires that fit the Ridgeline do not indicate if they're rated for light duty trucks. Any recommendations? I'd prefer not to go with studs.
I wouldn't recommend LT-rated tires as they will be heavier rated than you need. If you want something with a greater load rating than the stock Firestone, look for something XL rated instead of SL rated. I would suggest the Nokian G4 WR SUV in size 255/60R18 to get the XL rating. I run them year-round.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am also planning or hoping to take my 19' RL AWD out to ski slopes this year. I don't live in snow country, so dedicated winter tires don't make sense for my needs. Thanks to this forum, I've learned there are year round "All Weather Tires which are better than All Season Tires". All Weather Tires can have snow peak / winter tire ratings and can be used year round....

I'm planning to replace my factory Firestone tires with Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires in the next few weeks. I'm hoping the Forum's Discount Tire Rep can offer an opinion?

·
Registered
2021 Canadian Ridgeline Sport
143 Posts
Your original size is 245/60R18 on 18x8 wheels with a +45 offset. The dealer nearest to where I live commonly fits 245/65R17 on 17x7.5 wheels for winter use. This gives the same rolling diameter in 17 inches as the 245/60 does in 18, so the speedometer and odometer should still be correct.

Suitable tires include the Nokian Hakkapeliitta mentioned above, which is available with or without studs. The Nokian Nordman 7 is less expensive but still pretty decent. Others include the Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV (favored by the nearest Honda dealer), Cooper Discoverer True North and Pirelli Winter Ice Zero FR, as well as the Blizzak DMV2 already mentioned. Most are available in either 245/60R18 or 245/65R17.

The Fast Wheels Switch is an alloy wheel with a winter finish that is an exact match for the stock Honda wheels in dimensions, offset and center bore. It's also available in 17 inch sizes. I don't know if Fast Wheels sells into the US.

I prefer alloy wheels even for winter use because I can clean the outer side of the brake calipers at the car wash. Steel wheels usually don't allow that access.

·
Registered
482 Posts
BLIZZAK DM-V2 in size 235/65R18 is actually a narrower tire but a larger diameter than OEM.
That’s correct. 0.3 inches narrower and 0.4 inches taller. Both are an advantage in snow - reduces the contact patch to cut down to the pavement. You want to slice through, not float. Look what the guys who plow driveways are running - I guarantee you it’s not a wide, low profile tire.

The speedometer error in my case is 1.4% - less than a mile per hour at 60 MPH.

But if that doesn’t make sense to you, by all means get the stock size - the DVM-V2 is a great tire in any case.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm planning to replace my factory Firestone tires with Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires in the next few weeks. I'm hoping the Forum's Discount Tire Rep can offer an opinion?

I looked at the Cross Climates for tread life and grip, but I figured for Houston, I'm better off with the more orthodox Defender LTX. If I were in the mountains, though, I would definitely look into these.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m using Michelin Xice on my 2020 RL in northern Minnesota. I think they are great in snow and on the dry highway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought 4x BLIZZAK DM-V2 245/65R17 from Costco last year for about $650 mounted and balanced. For $200, I was able to buy some 2011 Honda Pilot 17" wheels that have the same bolt pattern and get the snows mounted on them.

I live in Wisconsin and the winter performance was fantastic. I wouldn't worry about the LT specific tire needs, as crossover friendly tires are going to work just as well, since your weight characteristics and wheel size are pretty similar.

I was in northern WI in Feb and we had a big snow event (like 10" dropped overnight) and then the temps dropped below 0 and I had no issues. Coupled with my hometown opting to frequently not salt streets, I'm thrilled to have snows on the RL. Best performing vehicle in snow I've ever had.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.