Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ridgeline has 75,000 miles on it. I've replaced the brakes and tires. I've had the oil, dif, transfer case, tranny, and brake fluid changed as required. That's just about it.

I was wondering if there is any other maintenance that should be done, such as greasing/lubricating things like the windows or doors or anything else.

My rear sliding glass window seems like it is straining, is there a way to lube that? My windows also seem to struggle when it's cold out.

Should I look into lubing other things like door hinges, suspension parts, etc?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,670 Posts
Don't forget to change your power steering fluid. And the cabin and engine air filters too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention the filters, I have changed them as required as well. Never did power steering, I have to look into that.

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's odd, I'm not even seeing the power steering fluid replacement listed on the maintenance schedule. Do you happen to know why?

How often should it be changed?

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
Yes, that is odd... that it's not on the MM list. There have been multiple reports here about whining power steering systems that are fixed by simply changing the fluid. So I figure that ought to be a standard maintenance procedure (at least it is for me). I've never encountered a system before that needed changing, but it's no big deal at all to change.

There is no official time frame... just WAGS. I'd say every 3 years/50k miles is probably good enough. ;)

(edit: I just looked at my records and see that I do the PS fluid every 30k-ish miles)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I'll have it changed next time I have work done. I'd like to hit 200,000 miles with this thing.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Re: Lubing and regular maintenance

It would be nice to have a maintenance schedule of the things people on here do over and above the MM. Anyone got one?
Maybe a Seasonal schedule or one that covers things that are not usually done by the dealer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

It would be nice to have a maintenance schedule of the things people on here do over and above the MM. Anyone got one?
Maybe a Seasonal schedule or one that covers things that are not usually done by the dealer.
Yeah, I'd be interested in that too.

Pure, thanks for the link. Just squirt that stuff in the tracks? No need to take anything apart?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just put a little on my finger and rubbed it on lightly.
All the info I found said to use very sparingly.
Do a search on this board and you'll find lots of info.

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts

This is really an individual thing (maintenance more often than the MM calls for). I drive mostly around town and do not tow. I often have some reasonably short road trips... ~100 miles each way... sometimes a bit further. I normally get 320+ miles per tank of 87 octane gas.

Basically, here is my schedule (for better or worse):

I use the MM for oil (and filter) changes and I normally run to 0% or a little beyond; transfer assembly fluid changes; rear diff fluid changes; and cabin and engine air filter changes.

I do the tranny D&F every other oil change.

I do the power steering roughly every 30k miles.

Brake fluid ~ every 3 years or when I do a pad change.

Tire rotations every oil change (and check slider pins too... if I have time).

While the coolant is good for 120k miles, I prefer to change it around 60k miles.

What have I left off the list?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
'Couldn't open Purt's link. If it was for Shin Etsu grease, I'll second that. Works great for many things rubber & plastic. I was pointed to it by Honda dealer when I had what I thought was a "rattle" in my convertible top of my S2000..... turns out it was just the rubber sealing materials between the roof & top of the windshield audibly complaining (really sounded like a rattle). A little of that Shin Etsu & everything was silent again. Really 'conditions' the rubber as it lubricates w/o noticeable residue.

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
165 Posts
As far as door hinges and things of that nature, I used a product called Fluid Film. Lots of people use it to do almost of an undercoating to their vehicle as well. Here is a link if anyone cares to check it out.
http://www.fluid-film.com/applications/automotive/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts