Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I hit the 600 mile mark this weekend, and decided it was time for a load of firewood. So I went over to the local (as in country) firewood peddler and loaded her up. I am not sure how much weight was in the truck, but it was around a half a cord of seasoned Georgia red oak. She handled it like a beaut! I could definitely feel the load, and stopping distances were a little longer, but nothing unmanageable. Still had plenty of power going uphill. Oh yeah, the in-bed lights came in real handy when unloading in the dark! I am continually impressed with the thoughtful engineering in this truck, and am certainly glad I got it over the new Tacoma.:D

Cheers!
TS

Attachments

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Welcome to the ROC, troutscout. You picked a fine time to load up Lucille. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hehehe thanks webwader...I had a feeling that was coming. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Hey troutscout, Oh what a feeling!! Welcome to the club.:p

·
Registered
186 Posts
WhiteRL said:
Did that wood scratch your bed real bad?
That was my first thought too (ouch!..... scratches?).... Then, I reminded myself that this is a "truck!" Granted I'm really pickey on how it's treated.... but we're SUPPOSED to haul and pull "stuff" ! ! :D :D ;)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Nicely done. I remember the first load I carried and was all worried when the bed got scratched. My wife reminded me " It's a truck"

·
Registered
479 Posts
The subject line reminded me.....I need to return some videos.:eek:

I know, that's really in bad taste. But I couldn't resist.

All kidding aside.....That's a good load. Cut wood is heavy. As a kid, I always helped my older brother cut, split and load fire wood into his Manly Chevy truck. I know how heavy it is.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I have a good fire going tonight. I am lucky and have enough wood close by that I don't have to take the chance of messing up the bed. I use my little Kubota with the FEL for most of my wood hauling.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Nice pictures, reminds me of home. Although I would suspect that it is a bit cooler where I came from than Atlanta through most of the winter. Looks like the Ridgeline dealt with it well, didn't look like it lowered the back much if any.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a 1,000 lbs load in mine and it road smoother than normal (no sway-just smooth). This baby is made to haul a certain amount(<1500lbs). The independant suspension makes you forget how strong the suspension is until you load'r up. Yea, the bed will scratch alittle but who has a the option of a swing gate except Ford wagons of the 70's.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hey all! As for the bed scratches from the wood, there weren't much. My muddy boots scratched it more than the wood. I was a little hesistant at first to scratch it up being new and all, but I figured it is gonna happen sooner or later. I do wanna keep Lucille purdy! (I am actually a clean car freak) The surface is pretty tough though. I just hosed it out, and all is well. I plan on using the bed to haul stuff like lumber and building materials regularly, so we will see how it holds up in the long run. My biggest issue with the bed is that it is fairly slickery. I may get Line-X down the road if it ends up being a problem.

Fins: TMI, man. :p

Captmiddy: Yeah, probably not as cold as the N.E. We are lucky if we get a few flakes each winter. Most of the time it is 33 F and raining here. But it sure feels cold. :)

Washem: yes, the swing gate sure was nice when I got to the wood in the back of the truck. Kept me from having to climb in to load up. I definitely think the independent rear suspension holds its own against a live rear axle. Makes ya wonder why they still make trucks with rear drums, leaf springs, and solid rear axles. It's so 20th century. LOL

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I've had a couple loads of wood in the truck now...
The marks seem to go away with a good washing or
Using a alcohol wet wipe or
amorall..

The scratches seem to be worse with sand scraping or pulling like a water jug with some sand on the bottom..

But they all seem to wash right out!!

:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Excellent first load Trout ! I'm glad you jumped right in and let Lucille cut her teeth on a job she was MADE to do.

That first load was tough for me and Rocky, but I knew it was inevitable. It'd been way too dorky to avoid loading anything in his bed when that's what it's there for, KWIM ?

After that first load (and a few scratches that cleaned right up with Armorall) I was fine. I have no problems now using Rocky for what his intention is.

Rocky's proud of Lucille ;)

Lisa

·
Registered
626 Posts
Webwader said:
You picked a fine time to load up Lucille. :D
Ughhhhhh! Webwader, you crack me up! Cheesy fantasticus! :D

Nice load, troutscout. As soon as I saw the pics I said to my SO, hey, we should go get a load of wood in the Ridgeline! :D

·
Registered
430 Posts
fins2theright said:
The subject line reminded me.....I need to return some videos.:eek:

I know, that's really in bad taste. But I couldn't resist.

All kidding aside.....That's a good load. Cut wood is heavy. As a kid, I always helped my older brother cut, split and load fire wood into his Manly Chevy truck. I know how heavy it is.

fins2theright......we are on the same page. I saw your signature line and refer you to an earlier post of mine.
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17690&postcount=17

1 - 20 of 27 Posts