Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2020 ridgeline RTL E last month and I am thinking to buy 60,000/48 month maintenance contract for $900
Need help to make a decision

·
Registered
2019 RTL
450 Posts
There's not a whole lot of servicing before 60,000 miles is up. Oil/filter, Rear Diff fluid, Brake fluid, Air/Cabin Filter, possibly brake pads (if included). Will be changing some of these several times (e.g. oil/filter 6 or more). All of this is easy to do yourself (especially cabin/air filters).

I do all the above and no way I would pay $900 up front. Even if I went to the dealer for service, I wouldn't pay that.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Buy the Honda care before your 3/36 expires, maybe a month before. Buy online.If you do it now you are throwing money away

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Buy the Honda care before your 3/36 expires, maybe a month before. Buy online.If you do it now you are throwing money away
This is apples vs orangutans. HondaCare provides certain mechanical breakdown coverage, the OP is talking a pre-paid scheduled maintenance contract, they are two totally different things.

(just want folks to understand that while your suggestion may, in your opinion, be valid, it is totally off-topic of the OP question)

@SeattleR 'gets it'.

Worth noting too that it's virtually impossible to judge the 'value' of a maintenance contract without knowing what it provides (specific items and intervals) and other 'gotchya' terms and conditions (e.g. brand of parts and fluids to be used; who must do the service; etc) - the terms and conditions of such contracts can vary widely and often have no relationship to the maintenance schedule required to preserve either the vehicle warranty or vehicle health / longevity (though it will assuredly preserve the seller's profit margin). As suggested by @SeattleR , factors such as owner inclination to DIY or rely solely on a third-party for maintenance, as well as how long one plans to own the vehicle are factors in judging 'value'. None of that info is provided by the OP.

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
I'd also like to mention that Honda offers both service contracts (Honda Care) and maintenance contracts (Honda Care Maintenance). There are also products that offer limited maintenance (Honda Care Sentinel) and limited maintenance and service (Honda Care Sentinel Plus).

While the Ridgeline is one of the few exceptions, I generally don't recommend service contracts and never recommend maintenance contracts - the later of which is simply a way of prepaying (and usually overpaying) for maintenance in exchange for more convenience and certainty.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E
159 Posts
My parents did the "oil change" maintenance plan when they bought their CRV. As to be expected (but still somewhat of a surprise) you can only redeem it when the maintenance minder on the vehicle calls for it. In hindsight it's understandable, but still annoying when you're already at the dealer for a different service...

If you're interested still and you haven't bought it yet, check out Hyannis Honda (link: Available Plans |- Hyannis Honda) I bought my service contract through them (for what seems like basically at cost) and it looks like they do the maintenance contracts as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts