Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still getting to know my RL. Trying to understand how the maintenance minder works. Am I correct in saying that it's a reminder of service due? Is there a manual that shows what mileage my services are due?
I cannot find information in the owners manual to tell me at what intervals am I doing my maintenance.
Page 317 of the owners manual references codes but not when to expect maintenance. Was I suppose to receive a maintenance schedule handbook?
I previously owned 2 Hyundai's and they came with maintenance schedule handbook / checklists that would tell you when to complete the services / mileage. I'm thinking I should of received this type of handbook from this link below?
SI9999O00132A.pdf (honda.com)

Attachments

·
Registered
796 Posts
Honda has not used printed schedules for a number of years. The one you pointed to is not correct for your RL. Just follow he maintenance minder. I tracks your driving habits and makes the recommendations.

If you want some references to future services, then check out this ongoing thread for another users experience.

Reactions: GreginJaxFL

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you....Sure would be convenient ton have a printed schedule. Wierd, not even an online printable version.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Thank you....Sure would be convenient ton have a printed schedule. Wierd, not even an online printable version.
A printed schedule does not know how you drive......like at what speeds, ambient temps, distances, coolant temps, amount of time driven and on, and on, and on. When all of that info and a whole lot more are recorded in the ECU from various sensors, and algorithms are then applied, that’s what triggers the MM. Much smarter than any printed schedule.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A printed schedule does not know how you drive......like at what speeds, ambient temps, distances, coolant temps, amount of time driven and on, and on, and on. When all of that info and a whole lot more are recorded in the ECU from various sensors, and algorithms are then applied, that’s what triggers the MM. Much smarter than any printed schedule.
Didn't realize Honda was that high tech. Last car I bought was in 2012

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
538 Posts
If you do your own maintenance such as oil changes, do not reset the Maintenance Minder until it tells you to change the oil. If you reset early, it will not advise of maintenance needs in the future. I change my own oil and other services I can do in my garage to avoid going to dealers. I like to know what goes into my vehicles.

I did that with my 2017 consistently resetting the oil percentage at 40-50%. I never was told of other maintenance needs. My dealer gave me a chart for recommended maintenance at various mileages.

I now have a 2021 and intend to continue doing my maintenance when I desire to do it, but will let the Maintenance Minder give me it's advice and not reset until it posts the advice. I will keep a log that records the mileage I do things, with a separate parallel record of MM percentages and maintenance advice.

In my opinion, I can continue to satisfy my own OCD and let my truck continue to advise.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
538 Posts
I didn't change the oil in a Murray lawn mower with a B&S engine for 12 years - it was still running when I gave it to a friend. :)
Have you looked closely at the maintenance schedules for lawn equipment at big box store such as Home Depot. They recommend not changing oil. They would rather the buyer came back to but a replacement after a couple of years.

Of course, lawn mower never contend with short trips and the crankcase crud that builds up as a result.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,708 Posts
Have you looked closely at the maintenance schedules for lawn equipment at big box store such as Home Depot. They recommend not changing oil. They would rather the buyer came back to but a replacement after a couple of years.

Of course, lawn mower never contend with short trips and the crankcase crud that builds up as a result.
To echo Zroger, my Craftsman Mower with a B&S engine has not had it's oil changed since we bought it 17 years ago. It's still going. Maybe they don't build them now like they did at the turn of the centrury? . . .

I have found (as one would hope and expect) that the maintenance minder in my GenI will call for oil changes at significantly different mileage intervals depending on the type of driving I am doing. In general if I am doing short trips and or lots of stop an go driving the oil change interval will be short. Another way to look at it is if your gas mileage is crappy (and your Ridge is otherwise running properly) then the minder will produce shorter intervals for oil changes.
Basically, the minder handles the short trip vs long trip / city vs highway computations just fine and with out the need for my intervention. IMHO changing the oil earlier than the minder calls for will benefit OCD but not the truck.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It's not that smart. Can't even remind you to change the oil after 12 months. You have to read the manual for that!
Some things are totally illogical......common sense says change once a year, no? That’s the way I was taught.

I change the oil in my 10 year old Honda mower once a year......does that mean I’m doing it wrong?🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The MM interval can vary for how you drive. I've seen some people getting the prompt for service (at 15%) as low as 4500 miles while others get it more toward 9k. I am a mostly freeway driver so I get prompted ~9k miles and do my service at ~9500.

If you were curious, I have a running tally of MM codes, because so far we've done our own work on our cars.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
My in-town, short trip driving has not yielded a 4k mile interval yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you do your own maintenance such as oil changes, do not reset the Maintenance Minder until it tells you to change the oil. If you reset early, it will not advise of maintenance needs in the future. I change my own oil and other services I can do in my garage to avoid going to dealers. I like to know what goes into my vehicles.

I did that with my 2017 consistently resetting the oil percentage at 40-50%. I never was told of other maintenance needs. My dealer gave me a chart for recommended maintenance at various mileages.

I now have a 2021 and intend to continue doing my maintenance when I desire to do it, but will let the Maintenance Minder give me it's advice and not reset until it posts the advice. I will keep a log that records the mileage I do things, with a separate parallel record of MM percentages and maintenance advice.

In my opinion, I can continue to satisfy my own OCD and let my truck continue to advise.
Agree!.....Are you able to post a pic of the maintence chart? Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Are the air & cabin filters part of the Maintenance Minder? These are items I like to replace rather than pay shop prices.
My apologies to the good mechanics out there but when I use to take my Sonata to the Hyundai dealership for excessive oil consumption and twice they overfilled it. Once by 1/2 qt, 2nd time a full one qt and the 3rd time they failed to put the oil cap on, spraying oil on my hood. Luckily I am a bit OCD and if possible I double check repairs / maintenance to my vehicles.
BTW...Hyundai did make good and get me a new engine / long block under recall due to excessive oil consumption. But had I not double checked the simple task of filling oil it would not of met the standard of excessive oil consumption.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Main Items
A – Replace just your engine oil.
B – Replace your engine oil and filter, and inspect various parts of your car. These parts include your front and rear brakes, tie-rod ends, steering gearbox and gearbox boots, suspension components, driveshaft boots, brake hoses and lines, fluid levels and the condition of the fluids, exhaust system, and fuel lines and connections.

Sub Items
1 – Rotate your tires. Follow the pattern shown in your owner’s manual.
2 – Replace your air cleaner element*. If you drive primarily in dusty conditions, replace it every 15,000 miles. -Replace your dust and pollen filter*. It should be replaced whenever airflow from the heating and air conditioning system is less than normal. If you drive in mostly urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from the industry and from diesel-powered vehicles, replace it every 15,000 miles. -Inspect your drive belt. Look for cracks and damage, then check the position of the drive belt auto-tensioner indicator.
3 – Replace your transmission fluid and transfer fluid*. Driving in mountain areas at low speeds or towing a lot results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires you to change your fluid more frequently than what’s recommended by the Maintenance Minder system.
4 – Replace your spark plugs. Inspect your valve clearance (when your engine is cold).
5 – Replace your engine coolant. Use Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2. If necessary, add Honda Extreme Cold Weather Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 as needed for prolonged cold temperatures below -22° F.
6 – Replace your rear differential fluid* (with AWD).
7 – Replace your brake fluid*. Make sure the brake fluid level is between the upper and lower marks on the reservoir.
*Not available on all models.

Oil Life
Oil Life 15% – Service is due soon.
Oil Life 5% – Service is due immediately.
Oil Life 0% – Service is past due.

After you change your oil, press and hold the “Sel/Reset” button until the indicator reads 100%. If you keep driving when your oil runs out, your engine could fail or other significant damage can occur to your vehicle. Many cars today can drive between 5,000 and 7,5000 before needing an oil change, and some can drive up to 10,000 miles. You should check your oil every three months or 3,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,119 Posts

My Honda push mower (actually self-propelled) manual definitely gives oil change info. I change my mower oil annually and use... what else? Mobil 1 10w-30. ;)

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
2019 RTL
678 Posts
MM. Much smarter than any printed schedule.
It's not that smart. Can't even remind you to change the oil after 12 months. You have to read the manual for that!
Some things are totally illogical......common sense says change once a year, no? That’s the way I was taught.
Agree. The MM isn't clever enough to even remind you to change your oil annually. I therefore can't rely on the MM so I keep a track of my maintenance and I decide what to do when (including annual oil changes). Which is kind of the point of the OP.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I thought the algorithm had been modified to now include 1 year. Look at the bright side, the OP is looking at the manual....how many cars get traded in with the cellophane wrapper still on the manual. The MM even has that covered for the major stuff.

·
Administrator
18,253 Posts
I thought the algorithm had been modified to now include 1 year.
Not until the third-generation Ridgeline.

"Starting with the 2018 Odyssey, the maintenance minder system includes a 365-day timer that keeps count from when the last oil change was done. Once the system hits the 310-day mark, it will trigger a Maintenance Due Soon message on the driver information interface and it will read Oil Life: 15% when you access the maintenance minder information. All models will apply this new logic at it's next full model change timing."

1 - 20 of 48 Posts