Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '14 with close to 50k on it. The last two or three oci's I have only gotten a single A or B with no numbers.
It has gone to 15% around 3500 to 4 k the last two times.Has anyone had this happen?
I had a '10 that actually took back a code number when it got to 5%.
I might do a round of filter and fluids to be safe.I bought this RL with 5 I on it and the Honda dealer did an oil change. Might that have scrambled the MM?

·
Administrator
14,672 Posts
Do you have a model with navigation that also has the Multi-Information Display with the dot matrix display or a non-navigation model with the segmented Information Display? If it's the former, I'd do a display check to make sure all the segments of the display are working. I've never heard of your particular issue and suspect you may have missed transmission, transfer, and differential fluid changes.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thank you Roger.
I have a non naval RTL.
It does not look like my display is missing anything when I scroll through the select button.
The MM is at 10% with 4400 miles on this oil change.50 k on truck.
I will change all the filters and fluids since I go by the MM and did not record the last services.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello,
My maintenance minder alerted to 15% showing a A12 code since my last oc.
So I think my concern was wrong and it was doing what it is supposed to do.
Carry on!

·
Banned
2007 Ridgeline RTL
40 Posts
Hello,
My maintenance minder alerted to 15% showing a A12 code since my last oc.
So I think my concern was wrong and it was doing what it is supposed to do.
Carry on!
You should change at around 3500 no matter what the MM says.
The MM is mostly BS.
The oil MM is to make the engine wear out faster, and some of the superficial maintenance tasks that the MM comes up with are to keep dealer's revenue flowing.
Remember car manufacturers are in the business of selling cars, not making them run forever.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,049 Posts
The MM is mostly BS.
The oil MM is to make the engine wear out faster, and some of the superficial maintenance tasks that the MM comes up with are to keep dealer's revenue flowing.
Remember car manufacturers are in the business of selling cars, not making them run forever.
You are trying to argue that the MM is not conservative enough for oil change intervals and is overly conservative for everything else?? Which is it???

In reality it is the dealers who try to sell you on lumped together unnecessary mileage based services. Following the minder will save you money over the typical dealer schedules. . .The GenI's maintenance minder seems pretty well tuned to the vehicle's actual needs. There are plenty of high mileage Ridgeline's out there that have followed the MM for oil changes and honestly I don't think that you have any factual basis for your 3500 oil change interval. It is good for lightening your wallet and adding unnecessary waste to our environment and perhaps keeping the revenue flowing for oil manufacturers. . . .

·
Administrator
14,672 Posts
The MM is mostly BS.
Please provide your source for these incorrect opinions and misunderstandings.

·
Banned
2007 Ridgeline RTL
40 Posts
The source is common sense thinking.
I don't want to get into a lengthy discussion about the MM.
I know I will not convince you and you will not convince me.
I change oil every 5K KM (about 3.5K mi) no matter what the MM tells me.
And I was not happy about $300 charge for an oil change and a visual inspection. I don't recall which MM service it was, but I called it BS.
My brother followed his MM (another car make) and at over 10K Km when I looked at the oil, it was more like a black sludge than oil.

·
Administrator
14,672 Posts
The source is common sense thinking.
I don't want to get into a lengthy discussion about the MM.
I know I will not convince you and you will not convince me.
I change oil every 5K KM (about 3.5K mi) no matter what the MM tells me.
And I was not happy about $300 charge for an oil change and a visual inspection. I don't recall which MM service it was, but I called it BS.
My brother followed his MM (another car make) and at over 10K Km when I looked at the oil, it was more like a black sludge than oil.
It's your Ridgeline and your money, but it's our planet - please stop being so wasteful.

I have research papers written by Honda engineers and actual oil analyses that back up the Maintenance Minder. You have the color of your brother's oil in a non-Honda vehicle. Now, what's this you were saying about common sense? ;)

·
Banned
2007 Ridgeline RTL
40 Posts
It's your Ridgeline and your money, but it's our planet - please stop being so wasteful.

I have research papers written by Honda engineers and actual oil analyses that back up the Maintenance Minder. You have the color of your brother's oil in a non-Honda vehicle. Now, what's this you were saying about common sense? ;)
Research papers from Honda? Sigh, I suppose you also believe the Corona virus statistics from China then.
I won't respond to any more of your posts. No point wasting time with ignorant, misinformed, lack of how real world is working understanding people. And btw the oil came from "our planet".

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,606 Posts
I won't respond to any more of your posts. No point wasting time with ignorant, misinformed, lack of how real world is working understanding people.
That's a violation of the forum rules:

2) Be respectful. We allow differing opinions and even debate, but only if it maintains a respectful and civil tone.

Please get with the program, we like this forum respectful and civil, calling someone "ignorant" is neither :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
I don't know precisely how Honda did their work, but it was at least similar to what GM did previously. GM did a TON of engineering and analytical work to develop and validate their maintenance alert system (I think GM's was the first of the major manufacturers' to appear in the mass market? Could be wrong about that...). One of the things they tracked was ZDDP levels taken from running engines at high frequency over the course of thousands and tens of thousands of miles (per oil drain, per engine). They also published papers correlating ZDDP levels of the then-minimum-spec oils to other factors so they could use ZDDP as a proxy and validate their model. It was an amazing amount of work, and really impressive, frankly.

The maintenance minder systems have good, hard science and engineering behind them, and REAMS of analytical data. They work.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The maintenance minder systems have good, hard science and engineering behind them, and REAMS of analytical data. They work.
Agreed, while also noting that manufacturers link compliance with MM-driven maintenance to long-term drivetrain warranty preservation. They have no incentive to over-reach protective maintenance intervals.

·
Administrator
14,672 Posts
I don't know precisely how Honda did their work, but it was at least similar to what GM did previously. GM did a TON of engineering and analytical work to develop and validate their maintenance alert system (I think GM's was the first of the major manufacturers' to appear in the mass market? Could be wrong about that...). One of the things they tracked was ZDDP levels taken from running engines at high frequency over the course of thousands and tens of thousands of miles (per oil drain, per engine). They also published papers correlating ZDDP levels of the then-minimum-spec oils to other factors so they could use ZDDP as a proxy and validate their model. It was an amazing amount of work, and really impressive, frankly.

Honda's research paper on their life monitoring system with some key points is attached to this post.

My 2019 MX-5 and 2020 CX-5 offer a choice of distance-based or condition-based oil change intervals for their maintenance alerts. The condition-based setting is called "flexible". The fixed setting for oil changes and tire rotations can be changed. The vehicles will not prompt for other maintenance items that are required. The Owner's Manual has 15 pages of different maintenance schedules that must be chosen based on where you drive, how you drive, and whether you use the fixed or flexible setting. As a former Honda owner, I really appreciate Honda's Maintenance Minder for its simplicity!

·
Registered
928 Posts
That’s interesting about your current Mazda(s). Mine (a 2015) only has miles-based schedules in the manual. It sounds like Mazda is trying to move to the more refined system that many manufacturers have moved (or are moving) to, but is also aware of the numerous complaints from customers who demand a miles-based schedule they can lay out ahead of time for the next several years. Tricky line to try to walk.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
........................ but is also aware of the numerous complaints from customers who demand a miles-based schedule they can lay out ahead of time for the next several years.
Yep, the very reason we do prefer not to wait for the Maintenance Minder exclusively to inform us when maintenance is due, though it's "interesting" how some folks feel, almost with a fanatical zeal, that since it is there that it is mandatory to use it exclusively, or else your Ridgeline will surely suffer the most dire of consequences! :devilish:

Bill

·
Registered
928 Posts
I don’t especially mind either system, so long as the MM will tell you at any point how long you have left until service, AND what items that service will include. Planning is important for everyone, but particularly those of us who do our own maintenance and service work.

I appreciate the ability of the more sophisticated systems to help me save time and money by reducing unnecessary (or unnecessarily frequent) parts and fluids replacements.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Yep, the very reason we do prefer not to wait for the Maintenance Minder exclusively to inform us when maintenance is due, though it's "interesting" how some folks feel, almost with a fanatical zeal, that since it is there that it is mandatory to use it exclusively, or else your Ridgeline will surely suffer the most dire of consequences!
It seems to me that the opposite is the case.

That is, there are those posting who accept that following the MM provides adequate protection, while also accepting that some may choose to use shorter / more frequent intervals than suggested by the MM (with no ill-effect on the vehicle). I can't find any posts by those folks suggesting that following the MM recommendations is "mandatory", only those pointing out that following the MM will meet warranty requirements.

I can't find where anyone has ever argued that more frequent maintenance presents any jeopardy to the vehicle or the warranty (economic and 'environmental / non-renewable resource' arguments being a totally different matter, unrelated to vehicle health or warranty preservation). Some of these folks have repeatedly posted info and argument relating to the science and engineering behind MM systems. None of that fits the accepted definition of "fanatical zeal".

It seems to me that the 'zealots' are those who insist that following the MM is not protective of the vehicle, and that following the MM will result in the the "most dire of consequences". Those folks seem to zealously advocate that the MM is some sort of sham or scam in it's entirety for some reason, more often than not exhibiting no interest whatsoever in even trying to understand the science and engineering behind such systems. Those attitudes do seem to fit the definition of "fanatical zeal".

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
LOL, Just as a single example, do I need to go and copy zroger73's responses to folks who choose to use/add mileage based, or maybe dealer designed, maintenance schedules?

Bill

1 - 20 of 22 Posts