Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to follow the maintenance minder based servicing for my '19 RTL-E. The first 2 alert "A1" came up 8k miles. The 2nd one "B16" came up at 17k miles - all within the first year. Now due to the Covid situation etc. I have been driving less and now almost a year is coming since I've had my oil change. The maintenance minder says I still have 60% oil life is left, and now I'm at 20k miles.
Now my question is, should I wait and see when the next servicing prompt should show up, or go ahead change oil. My concern in this regard: what I learned from this forum is that maintenance minder is a complex setup, and servicing does not just mean oil change. Thus if I go ahead and reset it, will that confuse the system?

·
Registered
953 Posts
This Covid deal could last longer than we want, so waiting on the rest of the 60% might be awhile. You could change the oil, but do not reset the maintenance minder. By the time you get down to 15% might take another year.

Reactions: olgzr and YetiXing

·
Registered
581 Posts
If it’s been one year since your last service the oil should be changed. Not just a matter of wear and tear on the oil. But moisture content in the engine etc. from sitting around. I am in the same situation approaching one year and about to perform oil and filter change at 50% oil life. Working from home. Not driving much... it’s in the manual, so I’m going to perform service...

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
310 Posts
If you just reset the oil change tracker, it doesn't skip monitoring the other service items does it? So when you get to the next 15% it should still be accurate with the code... Am I understanding this correctly?

·
Registered
953 Posts
If you just reset the oil change tracker, it doesn't skip monitoring the other service items does it? So when you get to the next 15% it should still be accurate with the code... Am I understanding this correctly?
Resetting MM for an oil change early will mess up future due items. Only reset your MM after 15% and a code is displayed, and you performed all of the services displayed.

·
Administrator
24,242 Posts
Correct.

If you perpetually reset the oil life before it reaches 15%, the other maintenance codes will never display. However, once you let it reach 15%, other maintenance codes that are due or past due will be displayed. They're only cleared if the MM is reset while those other codes are displayed once the oil life reaches 15%.

The big problem occurs if you always change the oil before the MM indicates reaches 15% either because you never drive enough miles in a year or if you change the oil before prompted by the MM and reset the MM (i.e., dealer-recommend premature oil changes or old habits).

·
Registered
581 Posts
Serious question. For a person that doesn’t drive allot of miles during the year...What is the proper procedure?

-change oil once a year and Ignore the MM oil%. Track mileage manually.
(By mileage/date)
-Each time the MM reaches 15%, perform everything listed ( tires, trans, etc) other than oil since it’s not due... and reset oil life %.

you would think that Honda would have an update to the MM. For the 2016-2019 to include date of service like the newer systems...

I’m in this boat this year w COVID-19 And working from home...
my truck just turned one year this month. Oil life at 50%...

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
180 Posts
I’m kind of wondering about this too. My truck says it was manufactured 12/19 but it was delivered to the dealer 3/30/2020 and I bought it two weeks ago. Should I get the oil changed in December because if the year since built?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
We are using our own maintenance schedule based upon a 5,000 mile interval, which makes for easier and definitive future planning. A part of the decision to use this interval is our dealer's inclusion with the purchase of a lifetime oil change plan using this interval.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,705 Posts
Serious question. For a person that doesn’t drive allot of miles during the year...What is the proper procedure?

-change oil once a year and Ignore the MM oil%. Track mileage manually.
(By mileage/date)
-Each time the MM reaches 15%, perform everything listed ( tires, trans, etc) other than oil since it’s not due... and reset oil life %.

you would think that Honda would have an update to the MM. For the 2016-2019 to include date of service like the newer systems...

I’m in this boat this year w COVID-19 And working from home...
my truck just turned one year this month. Oil life at 50%...
I'm in the same boat. I will change the oil at roughly one year and 50%, and NOT touch the MM until the second oil change at <15%.

I never thought I'd drive this little over a year's time. :oops: :unsure:

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I will change the oil at roughly one year and 50%, and NOT touch the MM until the second oil change at <15%.

I never thought I'd drive this little over a year's time. :oops: :unsure:
Same here. When I got the email from Honda that my truck was a year old. I was surprised. I went from a long commute and picking up kids at school to working from home, and they all drive themselves now.
I just don’t have a reason to drive much. Just to the hardware and grocery store. Lol

·
Registered
2017 White RTL-E
310 Posts
Correct.

If you perpetually reset the oil life before it reaches 15%, the other maintenance codes will never display. However, once you let it reach 15%, other maintenance codes that are due or past due will be displayed. They're only cleared if the MM is reset while those other codes are displayed once the oil life reaches 15%.

The big problem occurs if you always change the oil before the MM indicates reaches 15% either because you never drive enough miles in a year or if you change the oil before prompted by the MM and reset the MM (i.e., dealer-recommend premature oil changes or old habits).
Thanks, I was mostly curious for the OP's current situation. I'm in healthcare so my commute hasn't really changed... Hospital everyday doesn't keep the miles away lol.

·
Administrator
24,242 Posts
Clearly, Honda failed to provide a solution for the situation where the vehicle is driven so little that an oil change is required before the oil life reaches 15% on an ongoing basis.

The Odyssey, RDX, and upcoming TLX are Honda's three models that will force the oil life to 15% after one year. Also, most other Honda models will let you view upcoming maintenance codes and reset individual items without the use of a scan cool.

Scenario 1: Owner A normally drives 12,000 miles per year. One year, a temporary situation results in driving only 2,000 miles for a year (i.e., pandemic, injury, job loss, etc.). The owner changes the oil after a year before the oil life reaches 15%. Let's say the next codes that would have appeared at 15% oil life are B16. The owner or mechanic resets the oil life to 100% as Honda instructs. After a year, the owner begins driving 12,000 miles per year again. The new time the oil life reaches 15%, code B16 will appear. The vehicle might be a couple thousand miles past due for a tire rotation and rear differential fluid change, but that's likely to be inconsequential.

Scenario 2: Owner B bought the Ridgeline as a weekend vehicle. They drive an EV to work. The Ridgeline only gets driven 3,000 miles per year. The oil gets changed and the MM is reset every year. This owner will NEVER see any maintenance minder codes including code 6 which would have become due at around 15,000 miles. So, after 5 years they'll be past due for the first rear differential fluid change. After 15 years, they'll be past due for the first transmission fluid change. There have been at least two examples of Ridgelines on this forum with six-digit odometer readings where these services were never performed and the vehicles were still functioning. The chances of an owner driving very little AND keeping the same vehicle for 5-15 years or more is extremely unlikely. Generally, the vehicle will have gained a new owner who will see 15% oil life in less than year.

The bottom line is to do what Honda says - follow the MM, but change your oil every year if you haven't reached 15% oil life then reset the MM. If you drive so little that you're changing the oil before 15% oil life on an ongoing basis, then you'll likely be dead or will have traded for a different vehicle by the time the missed maintenance will render the vehicle inoperable.

·
Read Only
1,351 Posts
I'm in the same situation as many, in that my first year of ownership will be up before the MM (I've done less than 1,300 miles in 7 months). I'm just going to change the oil/filter after 12 months and not reset MM. Then when the MM does eventually come up, I'll do whatever it says.

Obviously if the MM came up within a couple of months after doing the oil/filter change I wouldn't do that again, but if it had been 6 months or more, I'll probably do it again just to resync the change with the MM.

I'm not sure when MM would suggest a rear diff fluid change given low mileage, so I might do that after 2 years if nothing comes up (as I doubt I'll be anywhere near 15K by then).

·
Registered
581 Posts
Sounds like a plan for the low mileage drivers. The real problem comes in when the normal or high mileage driver continually resets the oil life before 15%....Right?
They will have the wear and tear with no warnings of service required from the MM. As it’s designed.
Probably explains how people are getting to 60-70k miles on their transmissions before servicing....
👍🏻

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I get what the computer is doing, but logically it makes no sense. When you reset for an Oil Change that should be completely independent of other milestones that need/should occur. People change their oil all the time before hitting the 15% mark, I know I would (pre Covid) because I would put up hundreds of miles a week and timing with oil changes I'd often have it changed in the 20s percent range or sooner. Or if you are going on a trip or whatever, not to mention what happens when people go in the opposite direction and let it go long past 0% does that throw off all the other maintenance minders ?

Up until now I thought they were all independent of each other, not based on oil change resets.

·
Read Only
1,331 Posts
How easy and handy it would have been to simply publish the underlying mileage schedule the computer is actually using...

The thing about first oil changes being due 1 year from build date vs from delivery date to the dealer vs from purchase date is interesting. If it’s not a big deal to run 6-9 months over the first 1 year oil change mark because it was a long time from build date to purchase date, one wonders why it’s a big deal to run 6-9 months over on a single subsequent 1 year mark because of a(nother) non-recurring circumstance.

I don’t have these problems because I change factory-fill fluids very early, and because I track miles against the miles schedule my pickup’s computer is using (which was helpfully posted here years ago). It’s interesting to watch what you all decide to do, though.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.