Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here’s a maintenance slide show for performing an oil, filter, and fluid check service.

Consider setting the show viewing speed (lower left corner) to SLOW.

Basic Oil and Filter Change, Fluid Check Service Procedure Link

This new “slideshow” design allows me to update and maintain it on a slide-by-slide basis. It also allows the user to change the viewing speed and to advance forward and backward.

I appreciate the information and contributions from the show’s content
Contributors and Reviewers who generously offered their time during the build process.

Many thanks to:

MikeT
pixelmonkey
RkyMntHigh
shovelhd
speedlever
Tcape
xridgelinex

Let me know if there is anything we need to add to the show. :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Very nice! oil change seems like a no brainer but now I do not have to remember the socket size, leaving out .5 of a quart, or even where to dial in my torque wrench! Also reminded me to wear my gloves as not only a heath issue but it keeps my nails nice and clean so I can enjoy dinner that evening. Never fails that I put the amount of oil that my van needs in the truck and vice versa!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Might add to make sure the old oil filter gasket is not still on the engine before putting on the new filter.

( did that once - a whole quart got away before I saw what was happening - not on the Ridgeline but on a Chevy Blazer )

And to fill the windshield washer fluid tank with the proper fluid ( not water ).

And to check the tire air pressure ( including the spare ) while you are doing the other stuff. ( maybe rotate the tires??? )

Sorry Craig - had to add my 2 cents worth - good job anyway.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might add to make sure the old oil filter gasket is not still on the engine before putting on the new filter.

( did that once - a whole quart got away before I saw what was happening - not on the Ridgeline but on a Chevy Blazer )

And to fill the windshield washer fluid tank with the proper fluid ( not water ).

And to check the tire air pressure ( including the spare ) while you are doing the other stuff. ( maybe rotate the tires??? )

Sorry Craig - had to add my 2 cents worth - good job anyway.
Good suggestions. I'll update it this weekend.

You going to have to come down and bring your breaker bar to help me with the tire rotation. :D.:D

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
That is a much needed and money saving slide show Craig. Very well done!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Good suggestions. I'll update it this weekend.

You going to have to come down and bring your breaker bar to help me with the tire rotation. :D.:D
Maybe you should come up here and we can rotate your tires, I have a nascar truck jack ( 6 tons 30 inches - bought it for the Ridgeline ) that can jack the whole side of the Ridgeline up at one time. ( and I have an air wrench to remove the lugnuts and a torgue wrench to tighten them with ) :D

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I haven't been checking the forum lately Craig, so I just now saw your slide show. As I've said before, nobody does it better than you when it comes to documentation. :cool: Excellent work! Thanks very much!
Tom

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I recommend the oil volume from empty to top line on dipstick be set to 4.75 US quarts on your instructions. 4.5 is OK and puts the fill point between the marks, but why not go to the top.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I recommend the oil volume from empty to top line on dipstick be set to 4.75 US quarts on your instructions. 4.5 is OK and puts the fill point between the marks, but why not go to the top.
Howdy Bill. We decided to follow the manual recommendation on page 238 where it specifies 4.5 US qt. I can add a line to recommend it be topped off. I honestly can't remember if my particular Ridge requires more than 4.5 qts. I know the my dealer just adds 5 quarts and it comes back a little over full.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Howdy Bill. We decided to follow the manual recommendation on page 238 where it specifies 4.5 US qt. I can add a line to recommend it be topped off. I honestly can't remember if my particular Ridge requires more than 4.5 qts. I know the my dealer just adds 5 quarts and it comes back a little over full.
Overfilling the oil is a bad thing to do. It causes frothing as the crankshaft picks up the oil. The engine will not get proper lubrication. Slightly too little oil is better than too much.:)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Well done OwnerCS. I look forward to using this info in the near future. Great thread . Thank You,
John

·
Registered
2 Posts
CS, thanks for the great slideshow. Just bought my Ridgeline in January. I'll be putting 40K miles/year on it, so learning diy maintenance is a must, but I'm new to it. What do I need to know about removing/reinstalling the splash guards to get to the oil pan and filter??

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
CS, thanks for the great slideshow. Just bought my Ridgeline in January. I'll be putting 40K miles/year on it, so learning diy maintenance is a must, but I'm new to it. What do I need to know about removing/reinstalling the splash guards to get to the oil pan and filter??
Welcome to the ROC.
To answer your ??, you don't need to know anything about removing/reinstalling the splash guards. No need to take anything apart.
Just turn the wheel to the right (or is it left?) and filter is accessible. If you feel like you have to take something apart, take the right wheel off to get easy access to the filter. Oil plug is just to the side of the filter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts