Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I recently bought a 06 ridgeline with 116,000 miles. I got a Carfax on it. it is a one owner car no accidents. it shows all maintenance was performed at Sloane Honda in PA. is there a way I can find out if the timing belt and valve adjustment was done. I brought my ridgeline to Atlantic Honda in NY but they said they cannot bring up maintenance records only warranty and recall records. I hate to throw 1000 bucks into the work if it was already done. the car fax shows every oil change was done @ about 3k miles and it looks like it followed the recommended maint. the Carfax shows a 18,000 kilometer service performed @115,022 miles that was the last entry

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Give the dealership [0] a call and have your VIN ready. They won't give you any info that would violate the previous owner's privacy [1] but if you ask them a targeted question like "Was the timing belt service done, and when?" they'll answer it.

[0] You might be able to get this answered at your local dealer - it used to be that all the Honda service departments were not connected by computer, but I think they are now.

[1] Honestly, they'd probably give you the previous owner's dog's name, if you asked. A lot of dealers are pretty slack in this regard.

Chip H.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I agree that the dealer who did all the service should answer a targeted, was the timing belt changed and when, question.

Let us know whether they do.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Honda Service departments are connected by computer to Torrance, CA, offices. But they only maintain warranty and recall info in the system. Maintenance Records are not in the system, but I agree, a targeted question after providing the VIN should be able to be answered.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,582 Posts
the Carfax shows a 18,000 kilometer service performed @115,022 miles that was the last entry
I'm curious what an 18k service is in the USA? Or elsewhere, for that matter?

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
If you can get ahold of the service department where the majority of maintenance was done, and if they did the service, they should be able to tell you when the timing belt service was performed.

Honda does not have a "nation wide" service system that can tell if what services where performed at what Honda garage. You'd think they would, especially with how everything is connected via the internet, but they don't.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I called Sloane they were very helpful they Faxed me all the records for what they did on the truck. unfortunately they recommended to the old owner to do a timing belt water pump and tensioner the last time he was there but he denied the recommendation and decided to upgrade and traded it for a new car. their price for the job is 919.87 + tax

·
Super Moderator
22,582 Posts
At least you know what's been done to your truck. That's better than a lot of used buyers get.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Bummer, but at least you know now.

Chip H.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
... drive down, drop off the car & have the courtesy van drop you off at a nearby seafood joint, and enjoy a blue crab feast while you wait! Make it a worthy road-trip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
I have to say that is a awesome deal. I called Atlantic Honda in bayshore NY yesterday they want 960.00 + tax
I agree, that is an awesome deal. I did everything I could, using coupons, doing some of the work myself, and I still had a hard time getting it below $1000.

Funny thing was, I called about a 1/2 a dozen different garages in my area, even a few an hours drive or more, and the cheapest estimate came from my local Honda dealer. I had a couple places give me quotes of over $1500...one place wanted $1750...!!!

·
Super Moderator
22,582 Posts
Basically, they didn't want to do it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry it didn't turn out like you would have liked. I just bought an '06 and called the Honda dealership listed on the Carfax and explained to them my situation. After a quick VIN check, they emailed me everything that was done. I got lucky and the prior owner had the timing belt and water pump done, along with valve adjustments and spark plugs at 101k miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts