Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL E
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned many new vehicles in my 69 years and without exception a maintenance schedule was included with the owners manual, warranty information, etc.. I have looked and looked through the books that came with my 2020 RTLE and for the life of me I cannot find anything about at what mileage I should have maintenance performed.

The oil life information is now listed at 20% and I think I’m getting pretty close to needing an oil change. Any help about what type of service is needed and at what mileage would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,026 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
64 Posts
Honda does not use mileage schedules any longer. They go by the maintenance minder which varies based on driving conditions, temperatures, etc. When your oil life indicator gets to 15% you will get a service due soon message. When it gets to 5% it will say service due now. When it gets to 0% it will say service past due. Mine usually hits 15% at around 7500 miles. Some Honda dealers go by this and some are still stuck on the old mileage based charts and will still make recommendations based on that even though Honda will not back that up with any documentation. I'm going based on the maintenance minder but sometimes its a little argument at the dealer to get them to do what I want done.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honda does not use mileage schedules any longer. They go by the maintenance minder which varies based on driving conditions, temperatures, etc. When your oil life indicator gets to 15% you will get a service due soon message. When it gets to 5% it will say service due now. When it gets to 0% it will say service past due. Mine usually hits 15% at around 7500 miles. Some Honda dealers go by this and some are still stuck on the old mileage based charts and will still make recommendations based on that even though Honda will not back that up with any documentation. I'm going based on the maintenance minder but sometimes its a little argument at the dealer to get them to do what I want done.
OK, that makes sense. I think I will make an appointment with the service department when the maintenance minder says that there is 15% of the oil life left. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thank you.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
131 Posts
Nashville Artist, I know what you are saying. I just changed the oil in our 2020 RTLE at 5k miles...I think the Honda oil indicator said 40%, but at 70 I have conditioned myself to be cautious on the first oil change. I also tow a 2K lb. teardrop trailer and took that into consideration. I will also have the trany fluid changed at maybe 30k miles, just a guess.( probably way ahead of schedule, but again, towing.)

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,343 Posts
Nashville Artist, I know what you are saying. I just changed the oil in our 2020 RTLE at 5k miles...I think the Honda oil indicator said 40%, but at 70 I have conditioned myself to be cautious on the first oil change. I also tow a 2K lb. teardrop trailer and took that into consideration. I will also have the trany fluid changed at maybe 30k miles, just a guess.( probably way ahead of schedule, but again, towing.)
If you do change your oil earlier than the maintenance minder suggests, then do not clear the codes, just make a note to yourself about the date and mileage. Otherwise, you will not be alerted to the other codes that may be prompted by the maintenance minder later on in the cycle. Clear the codes only when the services are prompted in the maintenance minder.

·
Registered
21 Platinum White Sport (ETA TBD...)
67 Posts
While there is no schedule there are plenty of dealers that have the schedule on their site, here is an example. Now it is not a checklist like we are used to but gives a decent overview

Maintenance schedule

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,753 Posts
While there is no schedule there are plenty of dealers that have the schedule on their site, here is an example. Now it is not a checklist like we are used to but gives a decent overview

Maintenance schedule
Replace sparkplugs every 30K??? Inspect valve clearance at 30K??? That maintenance schedule is a dealer concoction that incorrectly calls for early services on some items, undermaintains the transmission at 90k interval and completely misses the rear differential, front transfer case. Pretty much worthless and is probably representative of most dealer written maintenance schedules.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
131 Posts
I was just at our local Honda dealership and talked to a service rep about towing. Even though our little trailer is close to 2000 lbs., he said I should change the trans fluid at 40k at least. What and who to believe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was just at our local Honda dealership and talked to a service rep about towing. Even though our little trailer is close to 2000 lbs., he said I should change the trans fluid at 40k at least. What and who to believe.
The owners manual does include notes for frequent trailer towing(at least for the 2021):
Transmission(and possibly transfer case) at 30K
Rear Differential 1st service at 7500 then every 15K

·
Administrator
19,035 Posts
Honda expects owners to follow the advice in the Owner's Manual which says to follow the Maintenance Minder except for certain, very specific conditions. This takes all the guesswork and opinions out of the equation. What could be easier? :)

Dealer employees can generally be divided into two groups: Salespeople whose primary job is to make money and laborers who can barely follow printed instructions - let alone understand what they're actually doing.

·
Registered
445 Posts

Maintenance schedule
It boggles the mind that a Honda dealer would go through the trouble to make a scheduled maintenance page on their website and not even mention the MM system. It would take too long to list all of the errors in this list. As zroger said, just follow the MM.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Keeping to official documentation, (not opinion), 2019, towing a 4-5,000 pound trailer, no addendum info in the Owner's Manual(s), (that I have been able to find), when should you change the transmission fluid, by the MM?

Bill

·
Registered
445 Posts
By official documentation? When the MM displays maintenance sub item code 3. Most 6 speed owners report this code at about 40K miles. It’s logic driven so I’m guessing the 6th OCI. If your use of the vehicle results in shorter OCIs or you reset the MM early, the ATF code will appear sooner.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
131 Posts
The owners manual does include notes for frequent trailer towing(at least for the 2021):
Transmission(and possibly transfer case) at 30K
Rear Differential 1st service at 7500 then every 15K
I will look in my 2020 manual for that info...I can't imagine it would not be there ( not sarcastic )

·
Registered
445 Posts
I agree, but nothing in the 2019 manual. There is a note about changing the rear diff fluid more often then the MM calls for if you tow. Oddly, the OM says have the dealer check the ATF level even though the 6 speed has a dip stick for the ATF. OM also says don’t attempt to change the ATF yourself, have the dealer do it. But the OM does contain instructions on engine oil changes.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
If the MM actually sensed and calculatedbased on those sensors for EVERYTHING it flags, then it might make sense to not have a schedule. Since it merely has the mileage schedule programmed in for many items, it’s idiotic to hide the schedule from owners.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just had the B 1 2 service done to my ridge...minus the changing of the filters, as that is something I do myself. The dealer recommended a transmission service as I was just shy of 30,000 miles when I took it in.

I said no thanks, as I am one of those owners that is going to follow the MM. I also have never towed anything. This is my fourth A or B service, and I am at about 7400 miles (average) interval, when I reach 15%.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If the MM actually sensed and calculatedbased on those sensors for EVERYTHING it flags, then it might make sense to not have a schedule. Since it merely has the mileage schedule programmed in for many items, it’s idiotic to hide the schedule from owners.
Most owners would never look at a printed maintenance schedule since most never crack open the OM. With the MM, the required maintenance is displayed in the gauge cluster. No need to dig thru a pesky OM. Works well if performing maintenance as displayed when the MM prompts for maintenance. However not so well if don’t follow the codes as displayed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts