Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: $1.87 Rivet nut tool for step/running boards.

got it done and everything went well!
thanks for the thread and thank you for the help!

·
Registered
41 Posts

I finished installing some OEM running boards last week and was pleased to find the rivnuts already installed. Did anyone else have this already on there truck???

·
Registered
97 Posts

Local aftermarket place here does not use the rivnuts or the hole they go into during an install of the brands of running boards they carry. said they never come with the special nuts and hasn't experienced any issues. I know the honday spec parts need the rivnuts. they must use some other fasteners there. Any ideas or is he blowing smoke?

·
Registered
3 Posts

Jimbo55 reporting in....The $1.87 fix (actually $2.09 for me) worked like a charm. Definitely eat your Wheaties before doing the install. The hardest part is that the wrench to turn the nut is difficult to leverage. I wound up using a bigger wrench on the smaller wrench for leverage and that helped. I also learned the benefit of the torque wrench. I bought one at Sears for $25 on sale. It is longer so that you get good leverage. Almost all of the nuts required an extra turn or two to reach the recommended torque (20 Ft Lb). Also, even though the holes are covered, some WD40 with a couple of minutes wait was a hugh help.

·
Registered
1 Posts

MIKE!!!!!! your the man!! thank you very much!!! i been looking for a cheap rivnut tool for 15 days (i don't want to spend $279.89 to the dealer for installation) until i found this website and i took me 25minutes to install the whole running board. its so easy even a cave man can do it. i'll kiss your ass if i see you!!:act027: thanks dude.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

I'm happy to have helped you. I feel like an inventor. Now if I can only find a cap for under a grand that will make my day.

·
Registered
237 Posts

I recommend also couple more things before start installation of running boards to make your work easer for now and in the future.

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

·
Registered
926 Posts

I'm happy to have helped you. I feel like an inventor. Now if I can only find a cap for under a grand that will make my day.
Check the Tradin post.
One showed up recently.

·
Registered
574 Posts

Could someone give me an exact list of what I need to buy? I showed this page to a worker at Lowes and he looked at me like I was crazy, and said he had no idea what I needed. I told him about the 8mm 2" long bolts, washer, nuts, and locking washers, but he said he has never see "the gold thing" and I am better off letting the dealership install it.

Please help!

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2011 Honda Pilot and this worked perfectly. Thanks Mike. My only recommendations are as follows

1. Bring the rivetnut with you when you buy the nuts and bolts, to make sure you don't buy the wrong threaded bolt. I initially bought an 8mm x 50mm (length equivalent to 2 inches) bolt that had and additional 1.0mm listed. the 1.0 mm refers to the thread. 1.0mm is a fine thread. 1.25mm was the thread i needed. so if you go to Home Depot, you're looking for 8mm bolt, 50mm length and 1.25 thread.

2. I used my jack to give me a little more working room

3. The ratchet didn't work too well for me. mine is only a short hand one. maybe if you have a longer handle one it would work better. I used two adjustable wrenches and that worked out well.

Thanks again Mike. Hope my additions help someone out!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Kudos to Mike and all the other posts on this subject. I installed the 2 'press-fit' nuts yesterday without a hitch after reading this forum. I opted to use a nylon washer under the steel washer to help minimize friction. I plan to complete the install later today.

I found a similar forum for my motorcycle that has proven to be a wealth of information, and I'm happy to have discovered this one as well.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts

Somebody give this man a ceegar!! After looking at the cheaply made $50 rivnut installation tools and the $100 good ones, I decided to go the Home Depot route. It worked perfectly!! Thank you so much. Now THAT is what this forum is all about.

·
Registered
160 Posts

I just wanted to add my variation to the homemade rivet nut tool thread.

On the year 2009 Ridgeline forward, Honda switched the 7-pin connector support mount to 6mm rivet nuts.

I tried the two washer method, but the rivet nut kept spinning with the nut you turn to deform the rivet nut. So, I used a 6mm wrench in between the nut and rivet nut, as seen below:

All I had to do was keep the 6mm wrench stationary while I tightened the nut right below the 6mm wrench.

Install was easy, and it didn't require that much torque, probably because it's a lot easier to deform a 6mm rivet nut for the 7-pin connector support mount than it is to deform an 8mm rivet nut for the running boards.

The install went well, and everything feels very solid.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts

Necesity is the mother of all invention.

·
Registered
682 Posts

Installed my OEM Running Boards today using the $1.87 Rivenut tool described in this thread. It was so much easier than I imagined. Total install took about two and half hours. (I am old and slow)

Thanks to this thread I was able to do the install myself and saved about $150 for the Dealership install. Even to just install the rivnuts they wanted anywhere from $65 to $87. Even a third party auto repair place wanted $50 just to install the rivnuts.

Thanks again to Mike and multitude that have added so much information to this thread. :act035::act035:

61 - 80 of 106 Posts