Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else having issues with pop up windows stating your computer is infected, anti virus subscription expired or other malware type messages while on this site....? I've run a couple scans using my anti virus and they come up clean.
This just started two days ago, every time I'm on on this site and it's the only site I have this happening on

·
Registered
846 Posts
Yes, but it depends upon which browser I use and what extensions are running. Actually, it may only depend upon the extensions. If I use a straight, no-extensions-enabled browser such as Safari, then I do get those page hijack malware screens. Happens both on the desktop computer and on a mobile device. With some anti-malware extensions turned on, I don't have the problem. Malwarebytes' extension for Firefox stops the malware, for example. So does an ad-blocking extension on Safari, it appears.

So basically, the simple answer is YES, THIS SITE HAS MALWARE ON IT.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Start by emptying your cache/cookies. I’ve had this issues on iOS/macOS on a lot of sites, including this one, lately.

·
Administrator
830 Posts
Hello all,

If you are getting these ads please provide us with the following information so we can block them.
  • take a screenshot of the page or “pop up” that loads and hijacks the page you’re browsing
  • note what you were doing or what forum section or thread you were browsing
  • copy the URL of the now hijacked page
  • device info, browser, and software
  • geolocation where it happened
  • put all of that info in this thread
Jeff M

·
Registered
846 Posts
On my system(s), it appears as though it is a pop-up window in the middle of the page, so there's not a URL in the browser address bar to copy & paste. Sometimes, at least, the malware is grabbing geo-reference info from the ISP, as it claims to be notification of winning something in a certain geography or area. I wondered whether it was an intermediary attack, which I suppose it could be, but I don't think so.

It's not there all the time. It comes and goes. Or, that is to say, it came and went. I don't run any browsers without ad or malware blockers any more.

·
Administrator
830 Posts
Hello all,

If you are getting these ads please provide us with the following information so we can block them.
  • take a screenshot of the page or “pop up” that loads and hijacks the page you’re browsing
  • note what you were doing or what forum section or thread you were browsing
  • copy the URL of the now hijacked page
  • device info, browser, and software
  • geolocation where it happened
  • put all of that info in this thread
Jeff M
On my system(s), it appears as though it is a pop-up window in the middle of the page, so there's not a URL in the browser address bar to copy & paste. Sometimes, at least, the malware is grabbing geo-reference info from the ISP, as it claims to be notification of winning something in a certain geography or area. I wondered whether it was an intermediary attack, which I suppose it could be, but I don't think so.

It's not there all the time. It comes and goes. Or, that is to say, it came and went. I don't run any browsers without ad or malware blockers any more.
I'm regularly getting fake flash pop ups on Safari and I have to force quite the browser. Getting so I visit less and less.
Heya guys,

Note the above post, we need more info so we can report and block these.

Jeff M

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Start with your system. I highly doubt the site is infected. Start by downloading and running malwarebytes. If you find major problems, go to bleepingcomputer.com for help. If you have a Mac, you need to talk to someone else. I don't do Mac.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Not so far.
Ditto

Win 10 Pro, Edge browser, nothing but the 'native' MS security / virus / malware protection (all updates kept current)

No, I'm not affiliated with MS in any respect ;)

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Start with your system. I highly doubt the site is infected. Start by downloading and running malwarebytes. If you find major problems, go to bleepingcomputer.com for help. If you have a Mac, you need to talk to someone else. I don't do Mac.
Based on this thread I did run Malwarebytes on my Mac and Malwarebytes flagged two Adware files that were quarantined.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've been running Malwarebytes Premium for 2 or 3 years without interruption. The Mac and mobile device are clean. As I said, either the Malwarebytes extension (desktop Firefox, and the mobile device) or an ad blocking extension (Safari) prevents the issue, and while in theory I'd like to help, I don't care for the force-quit I have to do to the browser and the subsequent speedy tab-close operation before the thing re-opens.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
I despise malwarebytes "real-time protection." I run malwarebytes from time to time, and immediately remove it after doing so. I run only Windows Defender at this time, and uBlock Origin on Vivaldi. Zero issues. Oh, I recently installed Privacy Badger too - but I don't know if that will be a permanent addition.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Safari on Mac running OS Mojave, v10.14.6
While reading this thread
That is on your computer. Flash must be updated regularly to address constant security issues. That is not a website issue!

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Nope, look at the web address
Are you positive you have cleared all your cache? I have heard that Malwarebytes being the best, but before Windows 10, I used to run ZoneAlarm. Since the switch over to Windows 10 and Chrome, I am yet to find something on my computer.

Since you use Mac, there is not much I can recommend. Only alternative would be to reset the OS.

For Windows users who encounter some issues, download and install Geek Uninstaller (https://geekuninstaller.com/download). This can also be in your USB stick and is a self executing program. It even removes registry entries when performing an uninstall, including all cache and trace files.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts