Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Vertrkr,

I don't know where you get all of this great info, but thanks.
I wonder if they will mail out the new versions to those who have the originals :confused:

vertrkr said:
The first print run for the manuals has a misprint for the towing specs. The correct info is:

Passengers - trailer wt - tongue wt
1-2 5000lb 600lb
3 4750lb 600lb
4 4750lb 570lb
5 4500lb 516lb

This is for assumed passenger weight of 150lbs and 175lbs of cargo in the trunk.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
That is a lot different than what was previously posted. I'm surprised that Honda didn't catch such a large error.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Howdy.... I have been trying to get the local Honda dealer to verify these new towing specs. The dealership cannot verify (they have checked with the regional manager, fleet manager, service dept, and all bulletins) --- As a result they are standing by the specs in the existing manual. How do I get official confirmation from Honda as to these new numbers? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bigsky said:
Howdy.... I have been trying to get the local Honda dealer to verify these new towing specs. The dealership cannot verify (they have checked with the regional manager, fleet manager, service dept, and all bulletins) --- As a result they are standing by the specs in the existing manual. How do I get official confirmation from Honda as to these new numbers? Thanks for your help!
The specs are accurate I posted and come from very high up at Honda. It will take time for this info to filter down to the dealers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Since neither my passengers nor myself weigh in at the Honda person weight, I do my own math. And if you think you will be close to GVWR, GCWR, or front/rear GAWR, then you better take it to a scale and weigh it!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I am not towing; but it seems like Honda made a major booboo by mis-printing the towing spec. Manual spec of 2000 Lb towing is just not respectable. I think my acura TL spec can tow 1000 lb.

If you are right, someone in Ohio will get fired for losing a lot of sales and giving RL a wrong start. My truck friends are BIG on towing.

What is tongue weight?

·
Registered
32 Posts

I work in the real world of weight and balance , using individual wheel and tire
weights , front axle weights , rear axle weights , gross vehicle weights , and
gross combined vehicle weights .

Small private trucks have never been required to meet any weight or balance
standards .

Each vehicle has a data sticker , usually in the drivers door area , the states
the maximum weights .

The truck has a basic curb ( wet )weight that is full of fuel , lubricants , and
coolant , but minus any people or personal items .

Starting with the "wet" weight , then add passengers , personal items , pets
and anything normally carried in the truck .

Subtract this total weight from GVWR "and" GCVWR .

The difference in GVWR gives you the margin of safety from MAX weight in
the vehicle to your weight as traveled .

The difference from GCVWR is the MAX that you are allowed to tow and
still be legal .

It is easy to weigh your truck and trailer - any truck stop will do it for about
$8.00 , and there are many local scales that will do it .

If you have never weighed at a truckstop , ask a driver to assist you so that
you get the truck and trailer on the appropriate scale plates .

On some scales you can figure the weight for each wheel and really do it
right .

Remember , EVERYTHING that you add to the truck (options) DEDUCTS from
usable weight capacity . Hitches , wheels , bumper guards , roof racks .... it
all adds up .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts