Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many electrical devices dead, instruments "chatter" when key is first turned on

I loaned my truck (2006) to a friend for a few days, and got it back with these problems:

When the key is first turned on, the instruments all make a chattering noise for about 10 seconds, and the pointers flutter at the bottom of their range. Then they set to their normal readings, and work when the truck is being driven.

Also, the following electrical devices do not work - interior lights, cargo lights, radio, homelink remote, door locks,( door switch or key remote, although I do hear a relay click when I push the door switch).

These others do work. Headlights, backup lights, the little courtesy light in the overhead console, instrument lights, accessory sockets in the front console, horn, headlights.

I have checked the fuses in all three of the fuse panels, and can't find any blown. Also, since some items in each panel do work, power must be getting to all three panels OK.

I am stumped! Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for looking,
Richard

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Re: Many electrical devices dead, instruments "chatter" when key is first turned on

How old is your battery? A battery going bad can cause all sorts of problems such as this. I had a bad cell in my OEM Honda battery that did some similar things.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Re: Many electrical devices dead, instruments "chatter" when key is first turned on

How is the battery? Any aftermarket accessories?

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,809 Posts

I would stop in to Auto Zone/Advance Auto etc and have your battery tested. Maybe your friend left the interior light on and ran it down?
I guess that would still not account for why some stuff is not working, but start with the battery.
Be sure your three way switch for the interior light wasn't bumped by someone's knee. If the battery was drawn all the way down you will need the radio code. Maybe the homelink and door locks can be reprogrammed?

I think I had a similar problem once after doing a jump start and had to replace a relay.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

Ditto on battery.

As mentioned by others, newer cars, and especially Hondas can have very strange issues with low voltage. Unless your battery is brand new, have it tested. If it is anything except perfect, replace it. If you still have issues, check the chassis grounds to be sure they are all intact, and see if the stuff that you are having problems with all feeds from the same fuse/distribution box. May have got water or dirt in it.

What did the friend do with the truck? Just move some stuff or something else?

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts

Battery or it's connections. Those symptoms are not even strange compared to some.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts

Just after installing your new battery start reading up on the problem now turning up on the 06 model (internal) radiator failure. Frequent flushing of the radiator will NOT resolve this SERIOUS problem, if you have it.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

Grounding issue. To start clean your posts and terminals on your battery real well.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,073 Posts

X4 on the battery. Get down to your auto parts store and swap out for a new one. Make sure the terminals are clean and free of any dirt or grime.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts

Just after installing your new battery start reading up on the problem now turning up on the 06 model (internal) radiator failure.
Where do I start lookin, read it all here but know where else is there more somewhere else. Its hard to believe its only the Honda Ridgeline. Are there that many (not that it matters) but one failure on this site is a BIG problem. Almost seems like more have changed them out than failures which I understand cause of all the die hard Honda fans that worry about everything. Does anyone know if this same radiator was installed in any other vehicle in its time, and whats the out come of it on that vehicle. Just wonderin cause I dont plan on changin mine out till I see the new RL. Its roll the dice for me I guess and dont really like it. And I dont like the looks of that new Pilot so I could be changin that radiator out within a year, buyin a 2014 or somethin else.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts

I agree, I don't know why this problem appears unique to the Ridgeline. All the parts involved have to be at least similar if not the same on other Hondas, even other makes!

I am not as involved on other car forums these days to know if it common among other vehicles.
At first I thought the issue was pumped up a bit because as we know problems get bigger headlines and more audience than non-issues. Especially on the internet.

Maybe for some less reliable cars or trucks it is just one more problem, where in general the Ridgeline goes down the road quite undisturbed through most of it's life, as do Hondas in general, so maybe an issue like this sticks out more.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,384 Posts

Where do I start lookin, read it all here but know where else is there more somewhere else. Its hard to believe its only the Honda Ridgeline. Are there that many (not that it matters) but one failure on this site is a BIG problem. Almost seems like more have changed them out than failures which I understand cause of all the die hard Honda fans that worry about everything. Does anyone know if this same radiator was installed in any other vehicle in its time, and whats the out come of it on that vehicle. Just wonderin cause I dont plan on changin mine out till I see the new RL. Its roll the dice for me I guess and dont really like it. And I dont like the looks of that new Pilot so I could be changin that radiator out within a year, buyin a 2014 or somethin else.
I agree, I don't know why this problem appears unique to the Ridgeline. All the parts involved have to be at least similar if not the same on other Hondas, even other makes!

I am not as involved on other car forums these days to know if it common among other vehicles.
At first I thought the issue was pumped up a bit because as we know problems get bigger headlines and more audience than non-issues. Especially on the internet.

Maybe for some less reliable cars or trucks it is just one more problem, where in general the Ridgeline goes down the road quite undisturbed through most of it's life, as do Hondas in general, so maybe an issue like this sticks out more.
Just Google SMOD or Strawberry Milkshake of Death, Nissan, Toyota and various domestics comeup. This isn't a Honda thing, Just spend a little time on Google and Youtube, it's out there, all you have to do is look.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,873 Posts

If we're talking about radiators, the problem with the Belleville washer is not limited to the RL or even to Honda. It is a problem with that design and crosses manufacturers.

Oops. See you beat me to it Carsmak!

·
Registered
10,073 Posts

Just after installing your new battery start reading up on the problem now turning up on the 06 model (internal) radiator failure. Frequent flushing of the radiator will NOT resolve this SERIOUS problem, if you have it.
It's not just the '06 model. Some '07 and '08 models have experienced this issue. As these trucks get older, I'm sure we'll see '09 and '10 models have the same issue. Nonetheless, this issue has been talked about to death in other threads. Let's try to help the OP with his battery/electrical issue here.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts

Sorry, my bad hows your battery like others have said. Thats the first start.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

Drove to the drug store yesterday. Was a rainy day and I turned off the Ridgeline and sat and waited for my wife to come back out. Forgot to turn the headlights off....after about 15 minutes, I tried to start up the Ridgeline up and got the "chatter". Five year old Sam's Energizer battery (09/10 sticker on it). Guess it's time for a new one. Hadn't had any problems with starting up before this and it started fine this morning, but winter is setting in and I'm sure I'll get stranded somewhere if I don't replace it.

·
Registered
10,073 Posts

Drove to the drug store yesterday. Was a rainy day and I turned off the Ridgeline and sat and waited for my wife to come back out. Forgot to turn the headlights off....after about 15 minutes, I tried to start up the Ridgeline up and got the "chatter". Five year old Sam's Energizer battery (09/10 sticker on it). Guess it's time for a new one. Hadn't had any problems with starting up before this and it started fine this morning, but winter is setting in and I'm sure I'll get stranded somewhere if I don't replace it.
Good idea to replace now. Maybe this happened so you DIDN'T get stranded in a bad, wintery situation later on. I'd highly suggest an AGM battery over a lead-acid. I made the switch about three years ago now and haven't looked back since. Much better starting power and it charges much quicker than a lead-acid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts