Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I plan to buy either a new Ridgeline RTL-E or a Ram 1500 - the Ram has an option for a 33 gallon fuel tank. However, I have been a Honda guy for a long time (currently own an Acura MDX, CRV, honda snowblower, lawnmower, etc). Ram gets great reviews but I worry about reliability/build quality issues.
I make a 665 mile (one way) road trip 7-10 times a year, I don't like to stop. Assuming no trailer or other add-ons that would lower highway MPG (such at big AT tires) - what are people seeing for Max highway range in miles after topping up the fuel tank until it almost spills out of the ground? My 665 trip is one long flat ribbon of a road where most cars are traveling 75-80mph. I read a 19.5gallon tank - so maybe 500 miles of range assuming no serious headwind? Hondas are great vehicles - but they often have small gas tanks.

Also, I know subjective, but is the ridgeline interior quiet at 75 mph?

·
Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
Ram eco diesel yes. You'll make it the whole way.

Ridgeline nope, It takes me 3 stops on the way to the UP of Michigan with it. Pulling a dual snowmobile trailer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ram eco diesel yes. You'll make it the whole way.

Ridgeline nope, It takes me 3 stops on the way to the UP of Michigan with it. Pulling a dual snowmobile trailer.
Yes - I didn't think the Ridgeline would make the whole 665 mile trip - but curious what sort of real world range people are seeing (without a trailer). I often read about people seeing much higher than EPA MPG rating. I would be happy if I could get 27mpg at 75 or so MPH - that is an effective 500 miles of range.

·
Administrator
22,395 Posts
In order to get 665 miles out of 19.5 gallons of fuel, you'd need to achieve 34.1 MPG. Unless the entire drive is 45 MPH downhill with a tailwind, you won't be doing that in a Ridgeline. If you're willing to make a couple of stops, but not at fuel stations along the way, just fill and carry a couple of 5-gallons gas cans with you.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,087 Posts
It will probably be between 425 and 475 miles, maybe 500 if you're good at it. G2 gets slightly better MPG than G2.5, possibly due to better aero.

Wind will play a huge factor. Tailwind wikk get you 27mpg, headwind will drop that to 23mpg.

Of the full-size trucks, I don't think Ram is a bad choice... i'd pick it over Ford. Do they still offer the HFE package? I think i remember the EcoDiesel was good for 800-mile range.

Another option would be GM with their 3.0L inline diesel. That truck should get 1-2mpg better than Ridgeline, but i don't know how big of a fuel tank you can option.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It will probably be between 425 and 475 miles, maybe 500 if you're good at it. G2 gets slightly better MPG than G2.5, possibly due to better aero.

Wind will play a huge factor. Tailwind wikk get you 27mpg, headwind will drop that to 23mpg.

Of the full-size trucks, I don't think Ram is a bad choice... i'd pick it over Ford. Do they still offer the HFE package? I think i remember the EcoDiesel was good for 800-mile range.

Another option would be GM with their 3.0L inline diesel. That truck should get 1-2mpg better than Ridgeline, but i don't know how big of a fuel tank you can option.
Thanks, Longboat - very helpful data. I agree headwind is a huge factor. Made this trip last week and on the way south it was a headwind - way home we had a tailwind and it made a significant difference in range. Ram is nice - but may be overkill in many ways (size) for my needs the majority of the time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had a 2018 RTL-E for 9,500 miles, and the most range I got out of a tank was 410 miles at a hand-calculated 23.9 MPG. I put 17.183 gallons in the tank on that fill-up, so there was some distance left.

The highest MPG I got on a tank was 24.4. This was over 391 miles, and it took 16.024 gallons on that fill-up. These examples were more than likely on trips to see my family, on which I would set the ACC between 75 and 78 for most of the drive.

·
Registered
2022 Ridgeline RTL-E
282 Posts
Yes - I didn't think the Ridgeline would make the whole 665 mile trip - but curious what sort of real world range people are seeing (without a trailer). I often read about people seeing much higher than EPA MPG rating. I would be happy if I could get 27mpg at 75 or so MPH - that is an effective 500 miles of range.
I too drive a similar distance regularly. My last few long highway drives just like that resulted in 19.5 mpg (as shown on the ridgeline dash) in eco mode.
Others on this site report a bit more. But I’ve never hit 20 mpg ever. No way 27 mpg at 75 mph.
And yes, super comfortable quiet nice ride (RTL-E).

·
Registered
250 Posts
I’ve owned both: a 2015 Ram BH, 4 wd, 4-dr, 3.6 Pentastar, 8-sp, towing package, 33 gal tank. I averaged 27-28 mpg @ 55-60 mph and 24ish @ 75. It handled much better than the 5.7, was only 1 sec slower 0-60 and 1/4 mile. The lighter engine really made a difference! The computer was about 0.8-1.0 optimistic on fuel economy.

I owned it 2 1/2 years, loved it; but the seat wasn’t good for my wife’s back. The 3.6 is much better fuel-wise than the 5.7 and just felt better.

When my Muzzler 2 is disconnected, the mpg of the Honda and the Ram V6 was virtually identical. I really miss the 33 gal tank! For 40K miles - my Ram only had a voltage regulator problem, that’s it.

Reactions: Lucky Jack

·
Registered
21 Posts
The perfect solution would be a RL with a 4 cyl diesel.

I just did a 600 mi round trip with my 22 RTL-E. Over 2 mountain passes twice and probably half the distance was interstate at about 72 mph. Computer said I got 25.6. I don't think you're going to get 600 mi on a tank.

·
Banned
2022 Sport "Strippie" Grand Piano Black
98 Posts
So I plan to buy either a new Ridgeline RTL-E or a Ram 1500 - the Ram has an option for a 33 gallon fuel tank. However, I have been a Honda guy for a long time (currently own an Acura MDX, CRV, honda snowblower, lawnmower, etc). Ram gets great reviews but I worry about reliability/build quality issues.
I make a 665 mile (one way) road trip 7-10 times a year, I don't like to stop. Assuming no trailer or other add-ons that would lower highway MPG (such at big AT tires) - what are people seeing for Max highway range in miles after topping up the fuel tank until it almost spills out of the ground? My 665 trip is one long flat ribbon of a road where most cars are traveling 75-80mph. I read a 19.5gallon tank - so maybe 500 miles of range assuming no serious headwind? Hondas are great vehicles - but they often have small gas tanks.

Also, I know subjective, but is the ridgeline interior quiet at 75 mph?
To me it seems like Honda didn't do a good job with the wind noise on the 2022 Sport. It's fairly loud. Road noise also is not exactly quiet. Depends on what your used to or what you are comparing it to. I came from a 2019 accord which was aerodynamic and quiet compared to this ridgeline. After 1700 miles I'm averaging 21 MPG. Can maybe get 22 on the highway, but that as high as it gets so far. I'm most dissapointed with the wind noise. Maybe I should have test drove the RTL. But I'm getting used to it and will forget about it before long. Also a canoe rack is gonna make even more noise. So what does it even matter. I find the time I enjoy driving this truck the most is on back roads going up to 55 mph. Highway driving is loud., but again relative.

·
Banned
2022 Sport "Strippie" Grand Piano Black
98 Posts
The Sport offers the least noise reduction treatment of any trim. The RTL adds an acoustic windshield and foam in the doors. The RTL-E adds insulation below the carpet.
Yeah I didn't know that when I bought it, but not sure I would have paid the extra money anyway. It's a relative, the noise. It's quiet compared to other trucks I've had in the past.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
771 Posts
I don’t know how you guys are getting 25MPG. I’ve made multiple highway trips and never get above 20. I must be a terribly inefficient driver although I must say I try super hard to get that number up!
Have you tried resetting the trip computer once your up an cruising on the highway?

1 - 20 of 155 Posts