Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,966 Posts
TOPPING OFF: I almost always top it off when filling and more to the max when driving distances or having fuel points to use. I have filled my tank to exactly 21.0 gallons with a high probability of at least 0.5 gallons still in the tank which is not good for the pump, and also to 23.861 gallons when I stupidly was not paying attention. I still had no idea how I got to almost 24 gallons and so filed a complaint with the dept of weights and measures. However, I recently learned that when you go beyond filling the neck (3/4-1ga), some of it can return into the pumps vapor recovery system giving them some free gas at our expense and, much worse, it can possibly spill over into the EVAP system via the vapor intake hole, which can then be sucked into the charcoal canister which can only deal with fumes and can ruin it to the tune of a few hundred dollars or much more, especially trying to diagnose it. I have no clue myself. I now assume that because I was filling it so very, very slowly in order to totally max it (had $0.80 off per gallon points) that it was going back into the vapor recovery system, or perhaps somewhere else(?), and wasting much of my discount and time.
Years ago, I did a test of using non-ethanol gas. In order to be consistent, I trickle fueled my 2008 Ridgeline close to the brim. I found it would easily take over 3.5 extra gallons of gas after the auto-shutoff shut off the pump. This was before I knew that I could potentially contaminate the vapor recovery system.

I found this was all usable fuel and was able to extend my range between fuel stops accordingly. Where the fuel gage would come off the full mark at about 50 miles on a normally filled tank of gas, fueled to the brim, it would easily go 100 miles before it would break the case. Instead of 300-325 mile fuelups, I was getting close to and exceeding 400 miles.

The listed fuel capacity of the G1 Ridgeline is 22.01 gallons. I have exceeded that amount on multiple occasions by trickle fueling after auto shutoff occurred. I think the most I ever put in was something over 24 gallons. I frequently drive it well into the LF light too. The most I recorded was just over 56 miles on the LF light.

Rectangle Font Material property Pattern Number

Here are some notes I made when I first started the test back in Sept 2011.
Product Font Material property Rectangle Parallel

I did this for about 7 months before I learned better. Thankfully, my truck has not exhibited any problems from the over-fueling.

I don't know how much extra fuel the G2 Ridgeline would hold after the auto shutoff acts, but if it's like my 2008 Ridgeline and 2006 Pilot, there may be an extra 3.5 - 4 gallons available should push come to shove.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2021 Sport owner. I'm amazed at the guys reporting only 20/21 mpg highway. I typically average 21.3 around town. Highway at usually 70MPH, I have hit 27.4 MPG. That's coming right out of the gas station onto the highway. I've never used a full tank on solid highway, but I have gone 375 miles on 15 gallons mostly highway which equates to 25 MPG for that tankful.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,098 Posts
I imagine a lot depends on driving conditions. I live in a somewhat rural area and, like you, I get 21 mixed driving commuting to work and driving around town (that drops to 18 during winter when our temps are typically below 20°F).

I can imagine if I lived in the suburbs of a big city, I'd have a tough time keeping MPG above 20. I've driven around DFW, Austin, San Antonio and Minneapolis enough to know that you're into the throttle quite a bit, and freeway speeds can really sneak up there, and then roller-coaster a lot.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Remember that measured gas mileage will likely be around 1.5 mpg less than what the Honda computer reports, give or take a bit. Honda apparently doesn't want to fix that, but the vast majority of people who've measured and calculated their actual mileage have stated that the computer overstates mpg. Consumer Reports testing showed 29 mpg highway and 13 city, with a combined 20, for both the early years and the newer G2. I've had the computer telling me I'm getting over 31 mpg for two-lane highway 55-60 mph driving, so 29 is probably right. And I've measured over 27 for 70 ish mph on mostly flat highways. Going up & down the Sierra Nevada mountains, or increasing speed to 78-79 mph, drops that a couple of mpgs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I plan to buy either a new Ridgeline RTL-E or a Ram 1500 - the Ram has an option for a 33 gallon fuel tank. However, I have been a Honda guy for a long time (currently own an Acura MDX, CRV, honda snowblower, lawnmower, etc). Ram gets great reviews but I worry about reliability/build quality issues.
I make a 665 mile (one way) road trip 7-10 times a year, I don't like to stop. Assuming no trailer or other add-ons that would lower highway MPG (such at big AT tires) - what are people seeing for Max highway range in miles after topping up the fuel tank until it almost spills out of the ground? My 665 trip is one long flat ribbon of a road where most cars are traveling 75-80mph. I read a 19.5gallon tank - so maybe 500 miles of range assuming no serious headwind? Hondas are great vehicles - but they often have small gas tanks.

Also, I know subjective, but is the ridgeline interior quiet at 75 mph?
Topping off the fuel tank after the auto clicker on the pump shuts off can cause damage or destroy the Charcoal canister on a modern vehicle. The only way you will make that distance without stopping for fuel is with a pickup equipped with dual tanks if they are even offered any longer. Even carrying extra fuel in containers will require stopping and pouring.

So it is a good idea to consider stopping along the way to refresh yourself and protect you, your passengers, and other motorist. Fatigue is a silent and deadly enemy..
k

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS AWD, White Diamond Pearl
88 Posts
Topping off the fuel tank after the auto clicker on the pump shuts off can cause damage or destroy the Charcoal canister on a modern vehicle. The only way you will make that distance without stopping for fuel is with a pickup equipped with dual tanks if they are even offered any longer. Even carrying extra fuel in containers will require stopping and pouring.

So it is a good idea to consider stopping along the way to refresh yourself and protect you, your passengers, and other motorist. Fatigue is a silent and deadly enemy..
k
Do you have first hand experience with topping off fuel causing charcoal canister damage or destruction? I’ve topped off to the brim many, many times on modern vehicles and never had any problems. I will continue to do so.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
1,308 Posts
Do you have first hand experience with topping off fuel causing charcoal canister damage or destruction? I’ve topped off to the brim many, many times on modern vehicles and never had any problems. I will continue to do so.
I don't top off myself, so have no first hand experience, but there are many articles advising against it, such as this Consumer Reports one.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My friend just spent hundreds of $$ replacing the charcoal cannister system on his Tacoma. Frequent topping off over a period of time killed it!

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
I would get the engine warning light/emissions system failure on my VW Eurovan when I topped off.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS AWD, White Diamond Pearl
88 Posts
I would get the engine warning light/emissions system failure on my VW Eurovan when I topped off.
Good to know, and good reason to be cautious. I guess I’m lucky so far that the vehicles I’ve owned are not sensitive to topping off. One is a Dodge Grand Caravan that accepts 2.5 gallons more at topoff. 9 years of that and no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Did you ever test the difference in MPG between non-ethanol gas vs ethanol gas? Thanks.
I ran a tank of non-ethanol fuel through my Mazda PU. Mileage increase was 3+ MPG (I monitored every fill up over 203,000 miles) but the cost difference (over $ .50 per gallon more) eliminated that as a reasonable option. Just didn't make sense, plus I was not sure that the non-ethanol gas was Top Tier since it was only in one pump out of 20 at the station. Just my observation...

·
Super Moderator
23,966 Posts
Did you ever test the difference in MPG between non-ethanol gas vs ethanol gas? Thanks.
Yes, I believe I saw about a 1.5 mpg improvement with nonE gas. Pretty much what was expected.

Reactions: Lucky Jack

·
Super Moderator
23,966 Posts
Good to know, and good reason to be cautious. I guess I’m lucky so far that the vehicles I’ve owned are not sensitive to topping off. One is a Dodge Grand Caravan that accepts 2.5 gallons more at topoff. 9 years of that and no problems whatsoever.
I did the same with my Pilot and Ridgeline for a long time. I found I could easily get 3.5 + gallons more per tank by trickle-fueling to the brim... or at least up to where I could see fuel in the filler neck. The Pilot could get closer to 4.5 gallons iirc.

That's been more than 10 years since I did that extended test (about 7 months worth at the time) and I still have both vehicles today. Both run great with no issues.

I confess that I still routinely plug in a gallon past the auto shutoff. But I no long fill to where fuel is visible in the filler neck. I really enjoyed the increased range. The Pilot could reach about 500 miles on the highway filled like that. The Ridgeline a bit over 400 miles.

·
Registered
2022 RTL-E Modern Steel with Gray interior
123 Posts
Same here, and I know about the potential charcoal canister problems. I've topped off the tank on just about every one of the 30 plus cars I've owned (foreign and domestic) without any issues. When I've done it though I always make sure I'm going to be driving at least 10 miles or so, never filled to the brim and parked it shortly there after.

Probably won't try to top the Ridgeline off since it has the new no cap fills - makes it to much of a pain to try and see/hear the gas coming up, I do run the gas to round the dollar amount up once it clicks off. My Jeep Wrangler, which I just sold, was a challenge - when the pump clicked off there was very little room left and almost no warning prior to the gas spilling out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There have been various tests over the years, with various results..., ....Some trucks might be better with tailgate up, some down, etc. Ultimately, the difference probably wasn't significant enough to worry about.
Thank God for Mythbusters and myth busters.

The listed fuel capacity of the G1 Ridgeline is 22.01 gallons. I have exceeded that amount on multiple occasions by trickle fueling after auto shutoff occurred. I think the most I ever put in was something over 24 gallons. I frequently drive it well into the LF light too. The most I recorded was just over 56 miles on the LF light.
I did this for about 7 months before I learned better. Thankfully, my truck has not exhibited any problems from the over-fueling.
Yikes! Good to know that no problems have come up (yet). I still worry about the long term damage in mine. You never know for sure until the pump, canister or cat finally goes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Regarding evidence of charcoal canister problems from overfill: In looking for info on whether and how it affects the catalytic converter, which I found very little on relatively speaking, it is unequivocally clear from innumerable articles I perused that this is a very real and significant issue. BUT FOR WHICH VEHICLES AND TO WHAT EXTENT?? How much of it is overstated?

I bought my 2018 RTL-E in 2020 after I sold my Nissan Frontier crew cab LE after owning it for 10 years, at over 120,000 miles. I topped it off almost every time with an extra 1/2-1 gallon and trickle-topped it everytime I did a trip over 100 miles or had Fry's fuel points. I bought it used at 11k miles from a leasing company and paid $1475 for a 120k extended warranty knowing for certain that I would more than get my money back. Except I did not get a single penny back because nothing ever broke, though 2 window motors died from normal wear.

Not only did I not baby the truck or treat it nice, but I almost never drove less than 5mph (usually 10-15) over the limit around town, and a minimum of at least 9mph on the highway if not 20-30mph depending on traffic and road conditions. I never thought twice about going over curbs (especially because the turning radius sucked) and through the woods when convenient. Next to my wife's 2008 Prius, it was the best quality vehicle we ever owned. And perhaps that is why it never had any issues from over-filling. I have no idea.

But now I am over 60 and of necessity drive a little slower and more carefully, I have an RTL-E, which I call a car-truck and my son calls a sissy-truck :D, in which everything is computer/electronic and I assume more sensitive to anything and everything. So I am not taking any chances with excessive over-filling, and filling up the neck with the extra 1/2-1 gallon is not excessive, but anything over that most certainly is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
make a 300 mile trip from ky to mi about every 2 months and always get 25 mpg. about 22mph driving around town. also the ride of the ridgeline would be much better than the ram. the ridgeline is a joy to drive

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE in Southern Florida
1,750 Posts
Maybe try with the ECO mode off; that helped my MPG by abt 2mph. And yes, approaching 70MPH, mpg seems to ratchet down by about 3mpg
ECO mode cannot change your highway mileage at all, unless you are one who refuses to use cruise control; all the ECO mode does is re-maps pedal response. But 70 MPH takes the same amount of gasoline to achieve, irrespective of pedal position.

121 - 140 of 155 Posts