Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ridgeline Touring
42 Posts
It sounds like my 2018 is doing pretty good, judging by this thread. I live in the country and it's almost entirely highway. Mixing backroads, occasional in-town and highway, right now in the winter when it's averaging like -10C, I get around 19.8-20.5 mpg. On highway driving, even when it's this cold, the dash says 25 mpg. I know the dash can be a little optimistic, but this makes me feel good for when it's warm out, I might even get below the hallowed 9.0 L/100km! :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just did a 4800 mile round trip northern VA to Bisbee AZ towing a Kendon motorcycle trailer and two adventure bikes. According to the car it averaged 19.1 mpg (noting the car reading is about 7% more than actual mileage).
Going west across I10 in NM into a headwind/storm, it went down to 14 mpg and needed to hold 4th gear to maintain 65 mph.
Overall the trip out and back went well, with the 10 days riding in Mexico being fantastic.

·
Registered
2019 RTL White
69 Posts
So I plan to buy either a new Ridgeline RTL-E or a Ram 1500 - the Ram has an option for a 33 gallon fuel tank. However, I have been a Honda guy for a long time (currently own an Acura MDX, CRV, honda snowblower, lawnmower, etc). Ram gets great reviews but I worry about reliability/build quality issues.
I make a 665 mile (one way) road trip 7-10 times a year, I don't like to stop. Assuming no trailer or other add-ons that would lower highway MPG (such at big AT tires) - what are people seeing for Max highway range in miles after topping up the fuel tank until it almost spills out of the ground? My 665 trip is one long flat ribbon of a road where most cars are traveling 75-80mph. I read a 19.5gallon tank - so maybe 500 miles of range assuming no serious headwind? Hondas are great vehicles - but they often have small gas tanks.

Also, I know subjective, but is the ridgeline interior quiet at 75 mph?
2019 RTL No Tonneau cover - just a tarp tied down real well. I do a 685 mile trip a few times a year (One Way) and I noticed I was getting 27.5 miles per gallon using Cruise Control and the ECO button in cool weather for a good part of the ride. But no, not the average for the return trip.. Not Towing but a 3 or 4 hundred ponds in the back and trunk. I Start full tank. stop 2 times but arrive with plenty of gas. Computer varies 23.5 to 26.2 for the entire trip one way. Hoping gas gets back to normal before my next run. But unlikely. Still.....I am glad I did not buy the GMC Sierra when I fill the tank. Hopefully Pick a Tonneau cover out soon...or a New Weber Grill..I don't know..... One or the other. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
2021 rtl-e black
6 Posts
After testing over 6000 miles, I get worse gas mileage using the ECO mode, I have it turned off now.

I get 2.8MPG more using no ethanol gas over 87 10% ethenol gas. For highway driving, 65MPH seems to be the sweet spot for fuel economy; with speeds over that lowering MPG. With no ethanol gas, I am averaging 22 with auto idle stop OFF in stop & go driving and a much-improved 26.8MPG in hilly highway driving around 65-70MPH. 2021 Ridgeline mpg Sport, no big surprise but quality of gasoline really seems to impact MPG.

Anyone else notice the ECO mode does not improve gas mileage and actually makes it worse?
my 2017 got an easy 29 mpg on the hwy in eco mode at 75 to 80 mph. it actually went up higher at that speed because it didn't shift when i pulled out easy to pass. my new 2021 rtl e shifts a lot more often at that speed and i only averaged 24 mpg over the same trip. taking it out of eco improved mileage by about 2 tenths more

·
Registered
2018 Ridgeline Touring
42 Posts
It sounds to me like using ECO is useful for fuel mileage if you don't use cruise control, or drive a lot in stop-n-go in the city. I would think on long highway trips where the throttle isn't moving a lot anyway, it wouldn't matter?

·
Registered
105 Posts
It sounds to me like using ECO is useful for fuel mileage if you don't use cruise control, or drive a lot in stop-n-go in the city. I would think on long highway trips where the throttle isn't moving a lot anyway, it wouldn't matter?
In that case, the savings would be due to climate control. While in ECON mode, the climate control system has greater temperature fluctuation so comfort might suffer a bit.

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE in Southern Florida
1,750 Posts
Korek.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I plan to buy either a new Ridgeline RTL-E or a Ram 1500 - the Ram has an option for a 33 gallon fuel tank. However, I have been a Honda guy for a long time (currently own an Acura MDX, CRV, honda snowblower, lawnmower, etc). Ram gets great reviews but I worry about reliability/build quality issues.
I make a 665 mile (one way) road trip 7-10 times a year, I don't like to stop. Assuming no trailer or other add-ons that would lower highway MPG (such at big AT tires) - what are people seeing for Max highway range in miles after topping up the fuel tank until it almost spills out of the ground? My 665 trip is one long flat ribbon of a road where most cars are traveling 75-80mph. I read a 19.5gallon tank - so maybe 500 miles of range assuming no serious headwind? Hondas are great vehicles - but they often have small gas tanks.

I have a 2017 with the 6 speed tranny, so my info won't be as close to the mark as you might like. On a long haul like that I get 25.x. On a LONG haul. Former owner said he got 30 mpg driving across the Dakotas. Raising the eyebrow on that number! As for quiet, yes, pretty decent and not much of a need to raise the volume on the classic rock. (Mine raises it automatically as I gain speed, and I have to turn it down a bit when cruising faster.
1 year of ownership so far and loving it. I replaced a Frontier that I took immaculate car of. Nothing like getting rear ended by a guy trying to impress the women on the sidewalk.

·
Registered
3 Posts

345 .it gets 25 mpg. This new 2021 ridgeline is very smooth quiet ride at 100mph! It the quietess truck around in my opinion. My wife has a noisy Ford explorer and Ford escape.
My brother n law has a Silverado and that's a nice truck.smooth and quiet ride.
Mark

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes - I didn't think the Ridgeline would make the whole 665 mile trip - but curious what sort of real world range people are seeing (without a trailer). I often read about people seeing much higher than EPA MPG rating. I would be happy if I could get 27mpg at 75 or so MPH - that is an effective 500 miles of range.
Less than 2000 miles on RL, currently driving in 50 degrees and wind always seems to be on the nose, interstate speed on 73 MPH, currently averaged 21.8 mpg.

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE in Southern Florida
1,750 Posts
I have a 2017 with the 6 speed tranny, so my info won't be as close to the mark as you might like. On a long haul like that I get 25.x. On a LONG haul. Former owner said he got 30 mpg driving across the Dakotas. Raising the eyebrow on that number! As for quiet, yes, pretty decent and not much of a need to raise the volume on the classic rock. (Mine raises it automatically as I gain speed, and I have to turn it down a bit when cruising faster.
1 year of ownership so far and loving it. I replaced a Frontier that I took immaculate car of. Nothing like getting rear ended by a guy trying to impress the women on the sidewalk.
I don't doubt it. My 2017 RTL-E has seen computer mpg up to 32. Getting 28 or more was never hard on long highway runs for me.

·
Registered
Black 2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
34 Posts

Probably get about 350 miles before the low fuel warning light comes on. Last time it did on my truck, I still had 3 gallons when I got to the pump or another 65 miles if you want to sweat it. Total then a little over 400 miles with a one year old truck, not towing and no mountains or high winds; just pure highway driving at about 70 mph.

Everybody’s definition of quiet is different. Our 2020 is much quieter that our 2019 Tacoma. However, I still find it a little loud at 75. Still have the Firestone OEM tires. When I replace I may look at Michelins to quiet some of the road noise.

141 - 155 of 155 Posts