Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda Odyssey Hybrid greens up your minivan - Autoblog

A while back, Honda was tinkering with the idea of a hybrid Odyssey. And didn't the Accord just get a new 212hp hybrid power plant?

I wonder if there is enough room somewhere in the G2 Ridgeline for some batteries?

A Ridgeline that got 30 MPG would be good. One that got 35 would be irresistible. That would definitely be the key to my wallet. If I could buy a Ridgeline that got 30-35 MPG, I would simply click "add to cart" and go directly to the checkout.

If it we we 61 MPG like the Odyssey in the article, it would change the industry completely.

Moe.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Yea, no kidding. Although I completely agree, if going Hybrid decreased towing or cargo capacity, I'm not sure. And if it was only available for another $20k that would negate the benefits.

But if it only added $5-$10k and could double the G1's 16/21 city/highway numbers, now we're talking,

And an Acura version with the SH-AWD, with dual electric rear motors, Hmmm.... May be worth $20k

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Yea, no kidding. Although I completely agree, if going Hybrid decreased towing or cargo capacity, I'm not sure. And if it was only available for another $20k that would negate the benefits.

But if it only added $5-$10k and could double the G1's 16/21 city/highway numbers, now we're taking,

And an Acura version with the SH-AWD, with dual electric rear motors, Hmmm.... May be worth $20k
I don't think so either. If you drove 12000 miles a year, and got 36MPG vs 18MPG for instance, you'd save about $1000/year on gas, even if it was $3/gallon. That's 10 years of ownership before you even break EVEN, if you had to pay a $10K premium....... AND you would have sacraficed all that storage space for batteries along the way, AND I'd expect resale would be dead after 10 years unless you wanted to foot the bill for a battery refresh???? No Thank You Please.
Unless you just want a Hybrid.... then by all means, go for it!!! >:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
In your scenario, it wouldn't work. But for someone who drives a lot of miles, especially city miles, it could actually work very well. Not sure if it would actually cut into storage space. I want to say the gas tank was located on one side of the prop shaft the AWD model. Conceivably, there could be room on the other side for the battery. The MG's could have some clever configurations and space has not been much of an issue. Some people may even be willing to sacrifice some of that trunk space if it came down to it. A reasonable battery could be

Batteries have not had a high rate of failure in hybrid applications either. OE's have gained a lot of knowledge and learned to keep the SOC in optimal ranges to keep battery life up. And even then, in a hybrid application, typically you are talking about a $2-3K cost. Its not like were talking about a BEV or longer range PHEV. And even in a used car market, there will be some extra value to a hybrid version of a vehicle than its non-hybrid counterpart. So its not like you lose its entire resale value advantage. I will say that a hybrid isn't for everyone. Just depends on each individual's needs.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Considering most of the battery packs are starting with laptop "c" cells, they can be configured to go just about anywhere. Additionally, I'd lose the donut "spare" without a second thought. How about the ability to use the RL as a work site generator in earthquakes and remote locations. Honda already has developed something similar for it's fuel cell's.

Additionally "Hybrid" owners are a different group, say it reached 32/36 with a combined 34, some Hybrid owners will own it to say they "have a Hybrid"

I just wish rather than 7 trims (AWD) and 12 trims (FWD/AWD) there were some real options. A Hybrid may not be for everyone, but I'd bet it would sell.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If we are talking alternative power plants, my first thought was a Turbo I-4. After seeing what Ford did with the 2.7L in the F-150, I think a blown 4 could get a few more MPG and have better performance.

And, no VCM :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Additionally "Hybrid" owners are a different group, say it reached 32/36 with a combined 34, some Hybrid owners will own it to say they "have a Hybrid"
I think the Highlander Hybrid is probably the closest match for weight, aero, and power to what a Ridgeline hybrid might end up as. Its EPA rating is 27/28 mpg. I doubt we would see over 30.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts