Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Five weeks ago, the 2019 Grom was totaled by a distracted driver while I was riding home from work. The driver's insurance paid more than 100% of what I paid for it. This evening, I sold the 2014 Interceptor for 88% of what I paid for it. I still have the 2019 PCX150 scooter, but I'll probably use it for short trips to the grocery store instead of commuting to work and back.

I'm currently in the market for a 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring manual, but my search isn't going well. Manuals are hard to find! I'm also considering getting back into another Civic Si if I can't find a Miata. I was really happy with my 2017 Civic Si before it got vandalized. Looking back, I was most pleased with the Ridgeline/Civic Si combination. If I get another Civic Si, it will be another red sedan, but a 2020 instead of a 2017. Since 2017, there have been a few changes to the infotainment and climate controls and LED headlights and Honda Sensing are now included.

·
Registered
734 Posts
2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring manual (new)

^ The only one that came up searching Mazda website new and 2019 CPO inventory, within 250 miles of Austin 78731 (which should capture Waco > San Antonio > Houston).

I've purchased a few parts for my '01 Miata SE at that Austin dealership but have zero experience with their new car sales department.

Good luck with your search (the RL + ragtop Miata is a fun 'fleet' for me, lots of practicality with a dash of occasional 'therapy' ;) )

….. and congrats on the Interceptor sale (y)

·
Super Moderator
12,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring manual (new)

^ The only one that came up searching Mazda website new and 2019 CPO inventory, within 250 miles of Austin 78731 (which should capture Waco > San Antonio > Houston).

I've purchased a few parts for my '01 Miata SE at that Austin dealership but have zero experience with their new car sales department.

Good luck with your search (the RL + ragtop Miata is a fun 'fleet' for me, lots of practicality with a dash of occasional 'therapy' ;)

….. and congrats on the Interceptor sale (y)
Cars.com lists 140 manual Miata Grand Touring manuals nationwide. My preference for a white exterior further limits the choices to 37. :(

I'm glad I sold the VFR, too. I've had it listed on multiple forums, groups, and Facebook Marketplace for a month and didn't have one...single...inquiry. Then, late yesterday evening, I got a message through Facebook from a local resident. After I checked out his Facebook profile, I gave him my phone number. We spoke on the phone then he showed up minutes later with his wife on a pristine, low-mileage 2006 CBR1000RR. They live right down the road and I drive by their house every day. During our conversation, we discovered that we had some mutual friends and our paths have crossed before. As it turns out, he intended to buy the same VFR from the same dealer I bought it from, but I had beat him to it back in March. It's funny how these things play out sometimes! He knew all about the VFR and had been looking for one for his wife. It didn't take long for us to agree on a price and exchange payment for paperwork.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I was the happy owner of a 2014 Miata SE, purchased new. After a year I am still experiencing seller remorse. I miss my totaled Valkyrie too. As impractical as the Miata is, it is far more practical than a motorcycle.

·
Banned
1,277 Posts
Having owned a S2000 and first gen NSX, the current Miata is great, but the cabin is not. If you are 6 feet tall, slightly more, etc, the BRZ is a much better cabin. Amazing how well laid out the cabin is, the room behind you in the hatch if you need to carry anything, etc. Driving position is one of the best out there also. As an enthusiast, I still want more power out of it and they are now working on the next gen BRZ with rumors of the Toyo/Sub partnership going with the new 2.4L boxer in the Ascent, Legacy, and Outback. That should give the bump in power the car needs. The ND2 is outstanding, just cramped. And top down here in North Texas is just about worthless with the weather we get.

I love my sportbikes too much to get rid of any of mine. For now, my local twisties are still outstanding and like a vacation when I suit up and go corner on the weekends. Football is a damn institution here, a religion, so it's great when the Cowgirls play, as I have the twisties almost entirely too myself. Best time of year to ride. Wait for kickoff then head out. I've owned and driven some very fast cars but they are still not as much fun to drive as a motorcycle is to ride. Especially when you have the track time, training, and can power out of the apexes still leaned over, and have Ferrari/Tesla acceleration. So hard to get any kind of vehicle that could give me that. They'd be 200k.

·
Super Moderator
12,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Miata search continues.

Initially, I was torn between a Civic Si and Miata. I've already owned a Civic Si, but never a Miata (although I've driven them on public roads, race tracks, and in autocross events, so I know how fun they are). I started out wanting a Grand Touring soft top for the amenities like automatic climate control, but then realized it lacked the limited slip differential that is standard on the lower Club trim. So, I decided that I could do without automatic climate control in this type of vehicle in exchange for the improved performance. Then, I realized the LSD could be re-added to the Grand Touring in a package that included Bilsten shocks and a strut tower brace. Then, someone suggested I consider the RF (retractable hard top) model which I had initially though was much more expensive than it turned out to be. Sooo... Now I'm looking at a manual 2019 RF Grand Touring GT-S and am having trouble deciding between red/tan and white/black. The white is "cleaner", but the red is certainly flashy. I'm a bit hesitant to buy a 2019 so late in the year, but word is that 2020 production doesn't start until November 30th with deliveries to dealers around February 2020. Like the Ridgeline, potential changes to the 2020 aren't yet known, but aren't expected to be major (unless the addition of CarPlay is considered major).

·
Banned
1,277 Posts
Have you driven a manual trans BRZ with the performance package? Has Direct and Port injection both, extremely reliable.

·
Super Moderator
12,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you driven a manual trans BRZ with the performance package? Has Direct and Port injection both, extremely reliable.
I have driven some flavors of BRZ and 86, but I'd have to look back at my press kits to see how they were configured. Whatever they were, I don't recall any of them leaving enough of an impression to stay with me unlike the Miata, Hellcat, Trackhawk, Golf R, Civic Type R, AMG C 63 S Wagon...or even a Nissan Leaf! ;) Post-warranty reliability generally isn't a concern at the rate I turn over vehicles, but I do like to avoid the inconvenience of warranty repairs.

I found a Miata at a decent price this afternoon, but it's 3.5 hours away and I wouldn't be able to go get it until Saturday.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I started out wanting a Grand Touring soft top for the amenities like automatic climate control, but then realized it lacked the limited slip differential that is standard on the lower Club trim.
If memory serves me the LSD is available on the manual GT but not on the automatic GT. But this information is most likely dated and may apply only to the NC model and not the current ND.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Dang that is a nice looking car! I'll be coming down to Dallas and I want a ride in it ! lol

Steve

I have driven some flavors of BRZ and 86, but I'd have to look back at my press kits to see how they were configured. Whatever they were, I don't recall any of them leaving enough of an impression to stay with me unlike the Miata, Hellcat, Trackhawk, Golf R, Civic Type R, AMG C 63 S Wagon...or even a Nissan Leaf! ;) Post-warranty reliability generally isn't a concern at the rate I turn over vehicles, but I do like to avoid the inconvenience of warranty repairs.

I found a Miata at a decent price this afternoon, but it's 3.5 hours away and I wouldn't be able to go get it until Saturday.

View attachment 396655 View attachment 396656

·
Super Moderator
12,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If memory serves me the LSD is available on the manual GT but not on the automatic GT. But this information is most likely dated and may apply only to the NC model and not the current ND.
Correct.

Sport = LSD not available
Club = LSD standard on manuals
Grand Touring = LSD available for manuals as part of a $750 GT-S package that also includes Bilstein shocks, strut tower brace, and black roof (on RF models).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm jonesing for a Miata too. But I'd never sell my V-Strom to buy it. I love my two wheeler too much. I figure I'm about 8 to 10 years away from acquiring my toy car. Gotta get my kid graduated from high school, through college, and out of the house first.

·
Banned
1,277 Posts
Correct.

Sport = LSD not available
Club = LSD standard on manuals
Grand Touring = LSD available for manuals as part of a $750 GT-S package that also includes Bilstein shocks, strut tower brace, and black roof (on RF models).
I’d definitely get the LSD and Bilsteins. Bilstein makes excellent dampers. Ran them on my STi. Best of luck with it.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
I love that racing orange of the Miata 30th Anniversary Edition. And look at how that model is equipped! The Rays dark gunmetal forged alloy wheels. Orange-painted Brembo brake calipers. Recaro sport seats with contrasting orange stitching and piping. Bilstein shock absorbers. Front shock tower brace. Limited-slip rear differential. What's not to like?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
@Zroger, your exodus from Honda has commenced. If you don't give into the 9 speed, your RL days are over unless you hold onto yours which is unlikely.:( Congrats on the Miata.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Oh my, Miata's have changed a lot, but FWIW I've felt and enjoy the benefit of the Torsen LSD that's part of my (ancient?) '01 SE OE trim, as well as the 'Bilstein package' from an '05 MazdaSpeed turbo Miata that I installed long ago :D. That included not only the Bilstein struts/shocks but uprated springs and stabilizer bars compared to the 'Sport' suspension with tower brace that is OE on my SE.

OE 'option bundling' …. Lol, never can please everyone :)

Aside - I'm decidedly olde skoole on this point …. if it isn't a ragtop it's NARM (Not A Real Miata) :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
12,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’d definitely get the LSD and Bilsteins. Bilstein makes excellent dampers. Ran them on my STi. Best of luck with it.
A few days ago, I knew very little about Miatas other than they were cute, little, impractical convertibles that didn't have much power, but handled well and were a blast to drive. I've spent the last few days studying Mazda's website, watching reviews, reading forums, and shopping.

I knew early on that I didn't want anything less than the Club (middle) trim because of the lack of an LSD. I also knew that I wanted automatic climate control which only comes on the Grand Touring (top) trim. I then realized that the Grand Touring deleted the LSD which led me to shopping for a Club and giving up some other options I wanted. In my opinion, Mazda's website can be misleading to someone who isn't well-versed in Miatas because it doesn't disclose that the Grand Touring loses the LSD (as standard). Fortunately, I discovered that it can be re-added with the GT-S package. When I mentioned that I wasn't too fond of convertibles (due to noise, leaks, maintenance, and security), I was asked why I didn't consider an RF (retractable fastback). At the time, I was under the impression that the RF was a lot more expensive than the soft top than it actually is.

Those considerations are what redirected me from a soft top Club ($30K) to an RF Grand Touring GT-S ($35K).

@Zroger, your exodus from Honda has commenced. If you don't give into the 9 speed, your RL days are over unless you hold onto yours which is unlikely.:( Congrats on the Miata.
I will likely hold on to the 2019 Ridgeline for two more years until the B2B warranty is up. By then, the G3 should be out. I've certainly traded for lesser reasons, but I've not yet seen or heard enough to convince me to trade for a 2020.

If Honda still made the S2000, I might have been able to stay in the Honda family.

I really enjoyed my 2017 Civic Si and lined up to buy a 2020. While the Civic Si is certainly more practical than a Miata, I already have one of the most practical vehicles on the planet - a Ridgeline, which will continue to be used for weekend shopping and road trips. The Miata is also 2.5 feet shorter than a Civic, so it'll fit in my garage with my Ridgeline, scooter, mower, work benches, etc.

Oh my, Miata's have changed a lot, but FWIW I've felt and enjoy the benefit of the Torsen LSD that's part of my (ancient?) '01 SE OE trim, as well as the 'Bilstein package' from an '05 MazdaSpeed turbo Miata that I installed long ago :D. That included not only the Bilstein struts/shocks but uprated springs and stabilizer bars compared to the 'Sport' suspension with tower brace that is OE on my SE.

OE 'option bundling' …. Lol, never can please everyone :)

Aside - I'm decidedly olde skoole on this point …. if it isn't a ragtop it's NARM (Not A Real Miata) :ROFLMAO:
The GT-S package restores the handling bits from the Club that the Grand Touring loses including stiffer springs.

I enjoy driving or riding in convertibles (during a very narrow set of weather conditions), but I've never been eager to own one due to the issues mentioned above. The BRZ/86 just don't do much for me. The RF solves most of my concerns with a soft top while still offering more open-air experience than a sunroof during nice weather.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
I have driven some flavors of BRZ and 86, but I'd have to look back at my press kits to see how they were configured. Whatever they were, I don't recall any of them leaving enough of an impression to stay with me unlike the Miata,
Nice review of the BRZ here with some comparisons to the Miata...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Doesn't the FIAT version offer a larger more powerful engine ? I believe i read that it was a better vehicle overall. (although I dont' think I could ever own a Fiat)

Steve

·
Super Moderator
12,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Doesn't the FIAT version offer a larger more powerful engine ? I believe i read that it was a better vehicle overall. (although I dont' think I could ever own a Fiat)

Steve
The 124's 1.4L turbocharged engine has more torque (184 vs. 151), but less HP (164 vs. 181) than the Miata's 2.0L naturally-aspirated engine. It weighs about 200 lbs. more, is slower than the Miata, and suffers from lots of turbo lag. The 124 is quieter and leans a bit more toward comfort than performance. I prefer the simpler exterior styling of the Miata along with it's familiarity and history of reliability.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts