Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
A few days ago, I knew very little about Miatas other than they were cute, little, impractical convertibles that didn't have much power, but handled well and were a blast to drive. I've spent the last few days studying Mazda's website, watching reviews, reading forums, and shopping.

I knew early on that I didn't want anything less than the Club (middle) trim because of the lack of an LSD. I also knew that I wanted automatic climate control which only comes on the Grand Touring (top) trim. I then realized that the Grand Touring deleted the LSD which led me to shopping for a Club and giving up some other options I wanted. In my opinion, Mazda's website can be misleading to someone who isn't well-versed in Miatas because it doesn't disclose that the Grand Touring loses the LSD (as standard). Fortunately, I discovered that it can be re-added with the GT-S package. When I mentioned that I wasn't too fond of convertibles (due to noise, leaks, maintenance, and security), I was asked why I didn't consider an RF (retractable fastback). At the time, I was under the impression that the RF was a lot more expensive than the soft top than it actually is.

Those considerations are what redirected me from a soft top Club ($30K) to an RF Grand Touring GT-S ($35K).

I will likely hold on to the 2019 Ridgeline for two more years until the B2B warranty is up. By then, the G3 should be out. I've certainly traded for lesser reasons, but I've not yet seen or heard enough to convince me to trade for a 2020.

If Honda still made the S2000, I might have been able to stay in the Honda family.

I really enjoyed my 2017 Civic Si and lined up to buy a 2020. While the Civic Si is certainly more practical than a Miata, I already have one of the most practical vehicles on the planet - a Ridgeline, which will continue to be used for weekend shopping and road trips. The Miata is also 2.5 feet shorter than a Civic, so it'll fit in my garage with my Ridgeline, scooter, mower, work benches, etc.

The GT-S package restores the handling bits from the Club that the Grand Touring loses including stiffer springs.

I enjoy driving or riding in convertibles (during a very narrow set of weather conditions), but I've never been eager to own one due to the issues mentioned above. The BRZ/86 just don't do much for me. The RF solves most of my concerns with a soft top while still offering more open-air experience than a sunroof during nice weather.
I've owned a gen 1 NSX and a gen 2 (AP2) S2000. Your assumptions about the soft top/vert are correct. It's loud, is a liability parking it somewhere out of sight (thievery). The loud part I got tired of with my S2000. The cabin is also cramped (the Miata is also), and I just don't like the inline 4 motor unless it's a crossplane. The S2000 was/is a great car but the hype exceeds reality. I haven't missed mine since I sold it, not for a single day. It was great at the track, and on the road, but the -'s outweighed the +'s.

The PP Equipped BRZ is an extreme value. You're a wise competent shopper, you can steal one right now. PP gets larger rotors, Brembo calipers and Sachs dampers that are on bar with Bilsteins, just a smidge below full Ohlins. I believe the wheels are different as well, half an inch wider. The cabin is better, to me, as there is ample room for smaller and larger drivers and you've got some cargo room in the hatch, enough for groceries, golf clubs, or weekend luggage for an escape. For a 2 seater or coupe, it's got the best driving position of anything affordable on the market today. It's an instant classic, a car that could be kept for many many years. DI+PI = no issues to deal with going forward. It's built in Japan and worthy of all the praise it gets. Even if it is not wetting your noodle, go drive one for grins only. Any dealer will toss you the keys. You only need to take some bends in it, any decent turns and you'll understand. The performance package is like $1195 so the car can be had for $30k. An old boss I had just went through the same thing and was dead set on the ND2. He went and drove the PP BRZ and called and said he bought it and thanked me as it was 5k cheaper. Subaru holds their value better than anything out there should you want to trade/sell in a few years. The chassis in that car is so competent that I call it a Cayman - the motor. At 35k, that changes things as you can grab a used Z51 C7 for 40k, and have 455 HP, and monster capability.

·
Administrator
18,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The PP Equipped BRZ is an extreme value. You're a wise competent shopper, you can steal one right now.
Stealing one may be the only option since there don't appear to be any for sale at dealers within hundreds of miles of northeast Texas. ;)

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Stealing one may be the only option since there don't appear to be any for sale at dealers within hundreds of miles of northeast Texas. ;)
We are right at the 2019 to 2020 transition point with Subarus, that's probably why. I buy my Subarus from Heuberger and have them shipped for $750 to Dallas area. Local dealers don't like to budge a nickel. I checked their site and they only have 1 and it doesn't have PP. Worth checking out though before you pull a trigger. Might be a used one on a lot somewhere close.

·
Administrator
18,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No luck finding a BRZ manual with the performance package anywhere.

I had planned on getting a ride to Houston Monday to pick up the red Miata, but they sold it this morning.

There's a white one at a DFW-area dealer, but it's been sitting around since January and has 98 miles on it. If they discounted it enough, I'd take it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If they discounted it enough, I'd take it.
Somehow that has the ring of resigned compromise no matter what the price :(

…. but maybe I'm reading too much between the lines :LOL:

Reactions: zroger73

·
Administrator
18,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I was actually okay with either white or red. I was leaning toward the red because it was fresh. The white one sold, too, as did the 2020 Civic Si that I was considering before I decided on a Miata.

"And then there were none"

There are no more Miatas that I'm interested in. The 2020's are scheduled to start arriving in February, so maybe I'll revisit my next vehicle purchase in the spring.

·
Administrator
18,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
That was my plan, but my brother had prior commitments and couldn't take me to Houston today. By the time he offered to take me Monday, it had already sold.

I had my heart set on it and was disappointed, but I'll be over it tomorrow. I really like the Si, but I doubt I'd buy another one over a Miata.

I'll just put my wallet back in my pocket for now. :)

·
Administrator
18,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
After missing out on four Miatas by hours while haggling over the last several hundred dollars, I had given up. Then, a Miata forum member found the exact Miata I had been looking for at a dealer near him. It had been delivered from Japan a few days ago and wasn't yet showing up in any listings. I managed to get a hold of someone at the dealership on a Sunday (unusual for Texas due to our blue laws) and we agreed on a price. He wouldn't hold the car for more than a day or take a deposit - the first one there with the money wins. So, I quickly arranged for a 3-hour ride to the dealer. If all goes as planned, this will be in my driveway this evening with the plastic still on the seats.

·
Administrator
18,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Check for hail damage?.
That was the first thing I looked for - especially considering the line of thunderstorms and tornados that swept across Texas on Sunday. Fortunately, there was no evidence of such.

My initial reasons for choosing an RF over a soft top were: Noise, leaks, maintenance, and security.

The RF is somewhat quieter and I think it looks better with roof closed, but the GT-specific soft top is better insulated than the lower trims (which I did not realize until recently) and I think the soft top looks better with the top open (which is the way an MX-5 should be enjoyed).

I've never owned a convertible, but leaks don't seem to be plague modern versions. It appears well-engineered.

I'm not fond of any type of fabric or vinyl on a vehicle, but it's really not a big deal to shampoo and treat the top. Plus, it'll spend most of its time in a garage and I'm unlikely to still own it by the time the top deteriorates.

Security is a non-issue for me since it'll spend most of its time indoors or in plain sight at work. There's virtually no interior storage and I don't keep valuables in my vehicles. Plus, there's a trunk if I need to store something more securely.

Even if I spend most of the time with the top up, the open feeling of the soft top when it is down ultimately made my decision easy.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If all goes as planned, this will be in my driveway this evening with the plastic still on the seats.
So, all went as planned (+/- on the timing) ?

·
Administrator
18,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So, all went as planned (+/- on the timing) ?
Whoops - I guess I left out the most important part. :) I expected to be home by 8-9pm, but my brother was starving so we had stop and eat and the dealer wouldn't take a personal check "since I wasn't local" so I had to drive to my bank's nearest branch to get a cashier's check. The MX-5 and I finally arrived at home safe and sound at 9:30pm. I didn't have time to pick up my Ridgeline which I left at the office yesterday, so I had a friend take me to work this morning.

The car is dirty - just as it came off the transport truck from Japan on Friday. I pulled the plastic off the seats because it was flapping around - I'll pull the rest of it off and give it a wash, clay, and wax as soon as I have time. There's too much going on right now.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Whoops - I guess I left out the most important part. :) I expected to be home by 8-9pm, but my brother was starving so we had stop and eat and the dealer wouldn't take a personal check "since I wasn't local" so I had to drive to my bank's nearest branch to get a cashier's check. The MX-5 and I finally arrived at home safe and sound at 9:30pm. I didn't have time to pick up my Ridgeline which I left at the office yesterday, so I had a friend take me to work this morning.

The car is dirty - just as it came off the transport truck from Japan on Friday. I pulled the plastic off the seats because it was flapping around - I'll pull the rest of it off and give it a wash, clay, and wax as soon as I have time. There's too much going on right now.

View attachment 396987
Ah, there ya go, complete with the requisite "pics so it did happen" :LOL:

Congrats on your new Real Miata ('ragtop'!), hope you enjoy it, betting you will !

(y):)

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,455 Posts
Again, Where is this place that I can sign up for the "Zroger" experience.

Live the life of a bachelor with far more vehicles than time to drive them all. ;)

·
Administrator
18,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Sweet!! I look forward to your mid & long term evaluations. I'm still experiencing "seller's remorse" for parting with my 2012 Miata SE. Maybe I can live vicariously through you.
I briefly considered a clean "like new" (their definition of "like new" is considerably different than mine) 2012 PHRT Touring at a local dealership until I saw this...

It's also been in three wrecks according to its CARFAX. :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It's also been in three wrecks according to its CARFAX. :)
Ummm, "No, Thank You" :ROFLMAO:

Hitches on Miata's are popular among the track-day crowd …. used for a very light trailer dedicated to toting a set of track-use wheels/tires …. the cars seem to fare just fine with those trailers …. no comment on the track-day wear-and-tear ;) (noting Eagle's Canyon @ Decatur and Motorsport Ranch @ Cresson are both popular for such shenanigans in the DFW area)

'Passing' on that 'offer' was a good call, IMO.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts