41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
:ROFLMAO: 'Offering' you that one took some chutzpah! :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
My white 2012 SE had a manual transmission and a Flyin' Miata hitch on it. I towed a lightweight trailer, similar to a motorcycle trailer full of a Summer's worth of gear for my seasonal US Park Ranger job. It worked great.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
…. maybe even a keeper not a flipper for you.
Not putting any $ on that, are you?

Based on my relatively short time following 'The Vehicular Adventures of @zroger73' methinks if he gets the long-term Miata bug he'll be eyeballing the 'latest' in ~2022.

(but no, I won't put any $ on that either ;) ) :LOL:

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Not putting any $ on that, are you?

Based on my relatively short time following 'The Vehicular Adventures of @zroger73' methinks if he gets the long-term Miata bug he'll be eyeballing the 'latest' in ~2022.

(but no, I won't put any $ on that either ;) ) :LOL:
Yeah, you're probably right no bets here. I know nothing about Miatas except they don't change much and it's the first non Honda Zroger has owned since I joined the forum in 2016. If I have it right, he has had a CRV, 2 RL's 1.5 Accords, Civic Si and an RDX and now the Miata.:oops: Most impressive to me was how he was able to return an Accord for hail damage.

·
Administrator
18,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The Miata is vehicle #30 in 30 years of driving including ten Hondas since 2006. Since you joined this forum, I've owned: 2017 Ridgeline, 2017 Civic Si, 2018 Accord, 2019 RDX, 2016 Fiesta (inherited), 2019 Ridgeline, 2019 Miata. Also, 2014 VFR800F (sold), 2019 PCX150 (still have), 2018 PCX150 (gone), and 2019 Grom (totaled).

On the other hand, I've had the same riding mower for 7 years and there is a case of Ramen noodles in my pantry. Priorities! ;)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Again, Where is this place that I can sign up for the "Zroger" experience.

Live the life of a bachelor with far more vehicles than time to drive them all. ;)
Lol, seein' what you mean ...

(all good fun, Roger …. 'ya can't take it with ya' as 'they' say ;) )

·
Registered
631 Posts
Congrats Roger!
Looking forward to a long term review.......:)

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,455 Posts
The Miata is vehicle #30 in 30 years of driving including ten Hondas since 2006. Since you (WHO) joined this forum, I've owned: 2017 Ridgeline, 2017 Civic Si, 2018 Accord, 2019 RDX, 2016 Fiesta (inherited), 2019 Ridgeline, 2019 Miata. Also, 2014 VFR800F (sold), 2019 PCX150 (still have), 2018 PCX150 (gone), and 2019 Grom (totaled).

On the other hand, I've had the same riding mower for 7 years and there is a case of Ramen noodles in my pantry. Priorities! ;)
You have to call out who, on that quote (@14v6 vs @CentexG2) and I agree with v6, you owned at least 1.1 if not 1.5 Accords...

·
Administrator
18,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
You have to call out who, on that quote (@14v6 vs @CentexG2) and I agree with v6, you owned at least 1.1 if not 1.5 Accords...
I was referring to @14v6's October 1, 2016 join date. I suppose I owned 2.1 Accords since my first one (and first Honda that started the run) was a 2006 EX-L sedan.

30-in-30 sounds like a lot of vehicles and it really is excessive, but I know people that flip them faster than that. Usually, though, they're used and flipped at a profit rather than a loss. By buying low and selling high, I've minimized my losses, but I've still spent a lot of money on vehicles unnecessarily. I am perfectly happy with the same computer, house, circle of friends, job, or pair of shoes for years, but I tire easily of automobiles. I'm not sure why that is - I guess it's because they're one of my greatest interests, hobbies, curiosities, and sources of pleasure. I thought that getting into automotive journalism would satisfy my cravings and reduce my turnover rate, but it really only fueled the fire by exposing me to a much wider variety of vehicles. I've seen Miatas here and there for the 30 years they've been in production, but never even considered owning one until I drove one for the first time a couple of years ago.

·
Administrator
18,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I don't doubt that at all - its tiny dimensions, light weight, and easily-approachable handling limits encourage 10/10, autocross-like driving everywhere you go. It feels like a harmless toy that can be flogged around on public roads without certain death or a prison sentence.

With that said, I was surprised to learn that full coverage insurance on my Miata is about 20% lower than any other automobile I've owned regardless of price.

On a more positive note, Consumer Reports rates the Miata the most reliable automobile you can buy with a reliability score of 95 and the highest-possible owner satisfaction rating of 5/5. The least reliable? Chevrolet Colorado with a reliability score of...4 and an owner satisfaction rating of 2/5. For comparison, the Ridgeline earned a reliability score of 55 and an owner satisfaction rating of 4/5.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
@zroger73 , just curious how much you're picking the Miata when you need to drive?
  • When you don't need the hauling capacity of the RL, do you tend to take the Miata?
  • When you make a 'multi-bag grocery run' - which do you take?
  • Does weather / forecast bear on the decision?
  • When you can drop the top, do you?
  • Has the Miata cut-into your use of the remaining scooter?
Like I said, just curious - wondering if it's become a somewhat 'regular use' choice or is more of a 'special occasion' choice?

In any case, hope you're enjoying it!

·
Administrator
18,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I rarely need the hauling capacity of the Ridgeline - I estimate only once or twice per year on average. In the ~year I've owned the 2019, I hauled home three motorcycles last Spring and some lumber to build a crane this Fall. I never tow and rarely haul so it really isn't economical for me to own a truck, but I am willing to pay the price for the convenience of having one at my disposal. I also like the confidence-inspiring capability of higher ground clearance and AWD even though I don't need those features because of my climate and use. The answer to this question is: No.

I tend to buy groceries as-needed or every week or two. Between Mom's leftovers from "family dinner night" each week and dining out, I don't purchase a lot of groceries. I tend to buy household supplies in bulk. There's nothing I buy on a repeating basis that won't fit in the Miata's lilliputian trunk. The answer to this question is: It depends. I can fit a few bags of groceries under the seat of the PCX150 scooter, so I often use it in warm weather. I usually have a couple of passengers with me for the bulk of my shopping, so I'll usually take the Ridgeline. Otherwise, I'll take the Miata.

I don't plan to drive the Miata in the rain or when it's too cold to drive with the top down comfortably. The climate here allows for some comfortable driving days even during the Winter.

I didn't know if I'd enjoy driving with the top down or not since I've never owned or had any desire to own a convertible, which is why I was leaning toward an RF for a while. I considered a Miata primarily because it is a small, RWD car with a manual transmission that is a blast to drive - I did not seek it out because it was a convertible. In hindsight, I'm very glad I decided on a convertible because I've found that I prefer the open experience at every opportunity.

The Miata continues to be a "special occasion" vehicle for me that is a treat to drive and own. Mazda makes me feel appreciated and valuable as a customer. I've already received three, lengthy surveys from them that are primarily focused on the vehicle and less about the dealership. It's been nearly 13 years since Honda has asked for my feedback about anything and the one time I really needed them to come through on an issue (when the back glass of my '07 Ridgeline exploded), they told me to go pound sand. Curiously, I don't receive any vehicle surveys, purchase surveys, or service surveys from Honda and can only assuming I've been "blacklisted" because they have all my contact information.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
In hindsight, I'm very glad I decided on a convertible because I've found that I prefer the open experience at every opportunity.
That's great! Glad to hear you're enjoying the Miata!

Perhaps not too surprising, your use habits seem to coincide pretty closely with mine and my long enjoyed 'special occasion 2001' (both of us fortunate to live in weather-friendly TX and have the wherewithal to own a fun special occasion vehicle).

Thanks for the 'update' :)

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
BTW, I hope we're both here long enough to see if the Miata breaks the typical @zroger73 roll-over rule. :ROFLMAO:

Getting through the middle years of 'not quite new' / 'not quite an old friend' is the test IME. Having gotten through that with my '01 there's no question it's a long-term keeper for me - the lack of the very latest tech has proven to have no bearing whatsoever on its essential purpose and enjoyment for me, now it's a matter of pride (OK, hard-headedness) to keep it as long as I can enjoy a clutch pedal.

Mechanical soundness / reliability has never been an issue with mine - hopefully the same for your '19 (y)

·
Administrator
18,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Unlike previous generations, the 2016-current Miata has experienced a concerning number of manual transmission failures that have been reported mostly in 2016-2018 models that are autocrossed where second gear gets a workout, but there have been a few failures reported in non-tracked examples as well. Mazda is currently on their fifth transmission revision in an attempt to address the problem. Unlike Honda and most other manufacturers, Mazda has been covering these failures even in vehicles that are tracked - they sent a letter to dealers advising them NOT to deny warranty coverage because the vehicles are tracked - they expect them to be. Mine will likely never be tracked or modified and it's guaranteed to work for five years, so it probably won't be an issue for me.

The Miata has an emotional appeal and fun character unmatched by any other vehicle I've ever owned or driven, so it might be a keeper. I really, really need to build a shop, though. There's no more free space in my garage. I've toyed with the idea of moving ever since I had my home built seven years ago, so I've been reluctant to spend the money on a shop. Recently, I was appointed to serve on my city council after becoming more involved with the city through membership in their version of a chamber of commerce which might encourage me to stay put for a while.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Obviously I've not kept-up with later gen Miata, bummer about the tranny but sounds like Mazda is trying hard to do the right thing so kudos for that. I'm sure some affected owners are verily disappointed, though, and others on tip-toes.

One of the 'standard features' of my NB '01 SE is the 6-speed (optional on other trims) which is less favored than the 5-speed by many for that generation. No issues with either per se, just the '5' offers slightly shorter throws and the ratios work well for most including on the track (it might be a tad more robust at the limits, too).

An interesting 'quirk' of my 6-speed: It has what to most would appear to be a side fill-plug but which in fact is an assembly access for a shifter-fork spring / detent. More than a few folks over the years, especially quick-lube shops, have casually unscrewed the wrong plug when attempting a tranny D&F :oops: .

The result is loss of reverse and 2nd gear (and worse if you keep driving with the now loose-in-the-tranny parts), requiring drop of the tranny / splitting the case (but not full disassembly) to reassemble correctly o_O . Paying attention to WSM procedures (and avoiding quick lube shops for such maintenance) definitely pays.

Nope, not an indignity I've suffered ;):)

Congrats and kudos on your civic involvement!

·
Administrator
18,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I don't doubt that at all - its tiny dimensions, light weight, and easily-approachable handling limits encourage 10/10, autocross-like driving everywhere you go. It feels like a harmless toy that can be flogged around on public roads without certain death or a prison sentence.

With that said, I was surprised to learn that full coverage insurance on my Miata is about 20% lower than any other automobile I've owned regardless of price.
Whoops. Perhaps a little too "harmless feeling"...

"Closing out the ranking of cars with the most reckless drivers is the Mazda MX-5 Miata, making both of the top two models sports car coupes. With a 2019 MSRP of $26,650, the MX-5 Miata is a sports car with a more affordable price tag than most of its counterparts. Perhaps this lower dollar investment engenders more reckless behavior behind the wheel, but, regardless, the Mazda MX-5 Miata has more reckless drivers than any other models in the nation."

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Seeing @zroger73 's thread on his CX-5 (also showing his Miata) brought me late to this thread (I'm catching up on my my reading backlog due to the "rona"). It got me nostalgic for my 1995 Miata that I bought new then (photos below). While mine was a G1 car (Miata is up to G4), it was almost perfectly created even them. I still remember its exquisite 5 speed manual transmission - going "snick-snick" thru gear changes, great handling, 100% reliability, etc. We sold it after 5 years, to free up garage space for a growing family, but it's one car I wished I would have kept.

Though it's been 20 years since I had it, my G1 Miata's ride / quality / handling would still be competitive today. I installed the MSW wheels and Eagle Aquatred tires pictured, which further improved handling (they really gripped the road, and eliminated the hydro-planing of such a light car). I also (formerly) had a 2011 Accord EXL-Navi Coupe, but I quickly soured on its harsh ride and thinly padded seats (my Miata was more comfortable, but also better handling). I'm not a big fan of low profile tires, my coupe had 50 series (bone jarring ride on our increasingly crappy roads during "McMiles" heavy-traffic driving). Hopefully the low profile tire fad will someday diminish, along with some other unpleasant fads of modern life (I won't digress here)...

My only criticism of my G1 Miata was it was just a tad too small for someone of my stature. I'm 5'11", and my head would stick up about 1-2" above the windshield frame top. One day I came up behind some "dip-wad gomers" hauling a scary load of non-secured particle boards, and was trying to change lanes to avoid them, when a 12" piece of it broke free and came flying right towards my head like a rotating ninja throwing blade. I quickly ducked my head, and the board hit the Miata's windshield header where my head at been seconds before! The miscreants escaped (hopefully to be later done in by their own bad karma), but a $500 insurance claim fixed my Miata's header nicely. Other than that, my Miata experience was mishap free.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts