Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Of course this is purely a very biased personal opinion, where we happen to own a vehicle that is much MUCH more fun than any Miata:

1590294585618.jpeg
:p:devilish: :):D

Bill

·
Administrator
18,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
It's hard to believe the Miata is now a year old. "Mr. Miyagi" got his first oil change today based on time at 2,531 miles. I've had no problems whatsoever with it.

I visited the local Mazda dealer this morning and bought oil and filters for both the Miata and the CX-5 which will be due for its first oil change by mileage soon. I've had no problems with it, either - both Mazdas remain an absolute pleasure to drive.

I paid for the filters, sealing washers, and oil for the CX-5, but the parts manager said the oil for the Miata wasn't showing up in inventory so she gave it to me for free. The 5W-30 oil for the CX-5 was Mazda-branded, but the oil she gave me for the Miata was Castrol. She said they didn't stock the Mazda-branded oil for the Miata. Initially, I was discouraged by this, but when I got home and read the manual, I realized that Mazda actually specifies Castrol for the Miata so I got the correct oil after all.

Changing the oil was a piece of cake. I drove the Miata up on a couple of RhinoRamps then removed the (9) 12mm bolts that secure an underbody cover/brace which allowed easy access to both the 17mm fill plug and Lilliputian oil filter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve had a ‘97 Miata from brand new. It’s the last year of the first generation Miata, and it’s a ton of fun to drive in the rural back roads. It is so unique among my fleet (‘18 Pilot Touring, ‘95 Prelude VTEC and ‘20 TLX) as are the others. I wanted a Ridgeline but I also wanted all the luxury features in our loaded Pilot, so the dream of owning a pickup still lives on unfulfilled.... Back to the Miata, it’s a classic bare-bones roadster with near zero tech and conveniences, just like the British roadsters were (no A/C, wind-up manual windows, and the funky pop-up headlights and other things that make the first generation Miata so fun and full of character. So I say “don’t overlook the first generation Miata” if you want an authentic classic roadster experience.

·
Administrator
18,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Back to the Miata, it’s a classic bare-bones roadster with near zero tech and conveniences, just like the British roadsters were (no A/C, wind-up manual windows, and the funky pop-up headlights and other things that make the first generation Miata so fun and full of character.
I've never even sat in a classic bare-bone roaster before and I'm not one to rough it - I had to get the Grand Touring trim so I'd still have my automatic climate control, adaptive headlights, premium audio, CarPlay, additional sound insulation, etc. :)

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Hey, @zroger73, you know that Alfa Romeo 158 you've been wanting?

😁

·
Administrator
18,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
As an enthusiast, I still want more power out of it and they are now working on the next gen BRZ with rumors of the Toyo/Sub partnership going with the new 2.4L boxer in the Ascent, Legacy, and Outback. That should give the bump in power the car needs.
I've now put just over 3,000 miles in 15 months on the Miata and I'm still in love with it, but I'm anxious to test the new BRZ now that the 2.4L has been confirmed. I suspect one of those will become the next garage queen.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I've now put just over 3,000 miles in 15 months on the Miata and I'm still in love with it, but I'm anxious to test the new BRZ now that the 2.4L has been confirmed. I suspect one of those will become thee next garage queen.
Just seeing this. Yeah, it’s between the new BRZ and the next gen STI for me. Will decide between the two once the STi is released. The first year new BRZ will not have a performance pack option and it’s really worth it. Sachs dampers, Brembo calipers and Lighter aluminum alloy wheels for $1195. Hopefully year 2 they offer it. They fixed the issues with the old one. Torque is available much lower in the powerband and more power through the rev range so it just linear to 7k rpm’s. Torque dip is there but they largely fixed it. Love the looks and the cabin is just updated. The BRZ remains a great option for 6 footers. Awesome cabin for us tall folks. Really excited to drive it. All the material I’ve read and watched it looks like they’ve corrected every issue I had with it. Finally some new affordable performance cars coming out.

·
Administrator
18,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I've now put 3,300 very enjoyable miles on the Miata since October 2019. Last month, I decided to sell it to Carvana because of their very generous offer due to current market conditions. I had a pick up scheduled, but couldn't go through with it.

I'm not as excited about the 2022 BRZ as I had hoped. I'll still drive one, but I'll probably end up keeping the Miata.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,455 Posts
I've now put 3,300 very enjoyable miles on the Miata since October 2019. Last month, I decided to sell it to Carvana because of their very generous offer due to current market conditions. I had a pick up scheduled, but couldn't go through with it.

I'm not as excited about the 2022 BRZ as I had hoped. I'll still drive one, but I'll probably end up keeping the Miata.
Everyone should be lucky enough to have a garage queen once in their lives. It's fine, change oil annually, battery maintainer, and other fluids such as coolant after 5 years due to electrolysis, your allowed. And it's much safer than that motorcycle/scooter stuff you were doing a few years back...

Reactions: zroger73
61 - 69 of 69 Posts