Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
you are correct in all accounts. Each company has their own spot and they are snapping thousands of photos of EVERYTHING that rolls by..... everyone can be a customer
These guys do a great job, also they have super equipment. They must have a camera card the size of a credit card. The shutter speeds and recovery times are fantastic. Check out some of the photos of bike wrecks, they will be 1/2 dozen or more shots as the wreck begins and ends. Everyone should experience this little venture at least once in their lifetime. I am sure Keith will be back!!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
you are correct in all accounts. Each company has their own spot and they are snapping thousands of photos of EVERYTHING that rolls by..... everyone can be a customer
I dont mean to sound out of touch on purpose, do they really get enough business to stay out there and do that?

These guys do a great job, also they have super equipment. They must have a camera card the size of a credit card. The shutter speeds and recovery times are fantastic. Check out some of the photos of bike wrecks, they will be 1/2 dozen or more shots as the wreck begins and ends. Everyone should experience this little venture at least once in their lifetime. I am sure Keith will be back!!!
From what I've seen I guess I just answered my own question, they are sharp pics.

·
Premium Member
17,033 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I would think so. Their overhead is extremely small and they charge a good amount for photos. The road has MANY huge clubs that descend to these hills all the time

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/calendar.html
Wow, I didn't realize something local was that popular, thanks for the link. Does the ROC have a time each year for the Dragon or just at random?

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
Is the Dragon hwy 129 like going toward Maryville, TN or is it one of the scenic highways near there?
It is a 11 mile stretch on US-129 with 318 curves, the Dragon starts at Deals Gap at the NC/TN border at the intersection of Hwy 28 to Fontana Dam. It goes 11 miles into TN and ends at the Foothills Parkway exit. If you contine on 129 it will intersect with US-411 South of Maryville. Google a map from your location to Deals Gap, NC. It will probably take you South down US-74 and intersect with 129 in the Natahala Gorge. Great area for a drive!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
It is a 11 mile stretch on US-129 with 318 curves, the Dragon starts at Deals Gap at the NC/TN border at the intersection of Hwy 28 to Fontana Dam. It goes 11 miles into TN and ends at the Foothills Parkway exit. If you contine on 129 it will intersect with US-411 South of Maryville. Google a map from your location to Deals Gap, NC. It will probably take you South down US-74 and intersect with 129 in the Natahala Gorge. Great area for a drive!!
Thanks for the detailed directions, I may plan a leaf looking trip later this fall, sounds like a great place to do so.

·
Premium Member
17,033 Posts
Thanks for the detailed directions, I may plan a leaf looking trip later this fall, sounds like a great place to do so.
Lots of places to pull off on area roads, but not on the section called the dragon.

If you think you can do that on the dragon, you won't make it back alive... seriously, you'll be off the side of the road (no guardrails and has major dropoffs, kinds that the car disappears from sight). That road you have to pay attention. many switchbacks, hairpin turns, vast majority of vehicles flying along. You'll be a road hazard to them, remember to be kind and pull over to allow the train to pass you. I did pass a slow car on the dragon, old dude in an Accord (no not Duncan this time) just wouldn't let people by and traveled below the speed limit. As I and another Civic Si passed (~50 mph), I was also overtaken by two speed bikes. :eek::D They were at warp speed as they quickly disappeared from sight and I was moving along :rolleyes:

... I can't wait to get back there!

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
k757 - you will enjoy, it is a great road. I have driven it several time with several of my cars, including my Ridgeline.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Lots of places to pull off on area roads, but not on the section called the dragon.

If you think you can do that on the dragon, you won't make it back alive... seriously, you'll be off the side of the road (no guardrails and has major dropoffs, kinds that the car disappears from sight). That road you have to pay attention. many switchbacks, hairpin turns, vast majority of vehicles flying along. You'll be a road hazard to them, remember to be kind and pull over to allow the train to pass you. I did pass a slow car on the dragon, old dude in an Accord (no not Duncan this time) just wouldn't let people by and traveled below the speed limit. As I and another Civic Si passed (~50 mph), I was also overtaken by two speed bikes. They were at warp speed as they quickly disappeared from sight and I was moving along

... I can't wait to get back there!

So maybe I drive :eek: and my wife and son can look at the leaves, curves and crazy drivers. :D

·
Premium Member
17,033 Posts
So maybe I drive :eek: and my wife and son can look at the leaves, curves and crazy drivers. :D
Make sure to wave at the professional photographers. I believe there are 5 companies out there

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
Lots of good scenery in East Tn and Western NC. All within a couple of hours drive; Cherohala Skyway, Fontana, Tail of the Dragon, Smokies and Cades Cove, and the Blue Ridge Parkway (Asheville to Cherokee is the best). Here are a few pics of the areas.

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Make sure to wave at the professional photographers. I believe there are 5 companies out there
I just hope they capture my good side. :D

Lots of good scenery in East Tn and Western NC. All within a couple of hours drive; Cherohala Skyway, Fontana, Tail of the Dragon, Smokies and Cades Cove, and the Blue Ridge Parkway (Asheville to Cherokee is the best). Here are a few pics of the areas.
Nice pics, I'll have to plot out making sure we visit those places.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
And if you're anywhere near Linn Cove Viaduct, be sure to take the Beacon Heights Trail up to an incredible view of the mountains. The trail is only about a mile, and WELL worth the hike. Here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,306 Posts
I just hope they capture my good side. :D

Nice pics, I'll have to plot out making sure we visit those places.
I Googled your route to the Dragon, you are about 5/6 hours away from Deals Gap and the start of the Dragon. I-40 to the Waynesville exit West of Asheville, South on 74 into the Nantahala Gorge, then right on 129 through Robbinsville to Deals Gap.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
And if you're anywhere near Linn Cove Viaduct, be sure to take the Beacon Heights Trail up to an incredible view of the mountains. The trail is only about a mile, and WELL worth the hike. Here are some pics.
I agree, I used to hike up there a lot when I was in college at App State.

I Googled your route to the Dragon, you are about 5/6 hours away from Deals Gap and the start of the Dragon. I-40 to the Waynesville exit West of Asheville, South on 74 into the Nantahala Gorge, then right on 129 through Robbinsville to Deals Gap.
Thanks, I appreciate that.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I was watching 'Good Morning America' on ABC and one of the anchors was talking about the Dragon. They showed footage of their motorcycle ride and of course was providing commentary. It was beautiful scenery. One thing I didnt know was part of 'Thunder Road' being filmed on the Dragon. Just wanted to share. :)

41 - 60 of 76 Posts