Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pickuptrucks.com Posts their 2017 Midsized Pickup Challenge tomorrow. Comparing the 2017 Ridgeline , Colorado, Canyon, Tacoma and Frontier in a comprehensive off roading, towing, hauling and race track testing.

The teaser videos they have released hint at big news for the Ridgeline.

Here is how the one released today reads.

The videos are located here

2017 Honda Ridgeline Is More Than Ready to Compete - PickupTrucks.com News

2016 Midsize Pickup Challenge: Off-Roading Video - PickupTrucks.com News

·
Registered
488 Posts
I can already predict what comments will be made tomorrow over at pickuptrucks.com:

30% of the comments will be intelligent
60% of the comments will be moronic
10% of the comments will be clueless

>:)

The most memorable comment I have read about the new Ridgeline is: "the unibody will rip in half if the Ridgeline is used to pull another vehicle out of the mud".

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can already predict what comments will be made tomorrow over at pickuptrucks.com:

The most memorable comment I have read about the new Ridgeline is: "the unibody will rip in half if the Ridgeline is used to pull another vehicle out of the mud".

I don't have any illusions that they will bow before the Ridgeline. It will get some platitudes but in the end they will elevate one or more of the others above it. The best I expect is that they will admit it surprised them with how well it performed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I will be interested to read their take on the RL and the midsize segment as a whole. Love comparisons.

My guess is the RL will come in second behind the Canyon/Colorado. That seems to be the consensus for most publications because many people have a real hard time getting over the towing limitations and the minimal ground clearance.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I will be interested to read their take on the RL and the midsize segment as a whole. Love comparisons.

My guess is the RL will come in second behind the Canyon/Colorado. That seems to be the consensus for most publications because many people have a real hard time getting over the towing limitations and the minimal ground clearance.
Not sure I agree... depends on how they weigh the factors. Clearance is only specific to off-roading (IMHO), and we already know the Tacoma reigns there... Towing deficit is somewhat offset by hauling premium...
And, in just about every other category, I think Ridgeline has an advantage...

My posts would suggest that I'm an RL/Honda fanboy... However, this is my *first* Honda (non-motorcycle), ever (and I'm no spring chicken), and I'm (so far) very, very impressed...

Reactions: Blueboy

·
Registered
417 Posts
The RL should easily win the overall.... this is not a strong field by any stretch of the imagination.

Reactions: Border411

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
in that dirt drag race, the ridgeline has to kick all their asses with the IVTM awd. no two ways about it. if it doesn't, something is rotten in denmark.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are not wrong, as long as the judges are objective.
I personally doubt any of the testers would own a truck that was not good off road so they come to it biased.

They make take a smart approach and define three or four typical owners. The serious off-roader, The Job site contractor, The lawn care operator and the dual use commuter/weekend handyman.

Then rate the truck from the perspective of each.

We will know tomorrow.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You are not wrong, as long as the judges are objective.
Well... with the exception of the Jeep Wrangler pickup, which isn't out yet, every midsize truck is represented in the shootout... So, weak, strong, other, there's nothing else to compete against in that class... If Honda wins... they've earned it.

Reactions: Haymoose

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
It's pretty easy to predict that any praise given to the RL will NOT go over well with traditional pickup truck enthusiasts. They are just not ready to let go of conventional truck lore, imagery and myth. The G2 lost the flying buttresses but that Pilot face doesn't say "real truck" to them. However, the market will have the final say, and that remains to be seen.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The RL won't win. I don't care let the posers pretend they're driving real trucks. I'll smugly smile at em knowing I made the right choice. :p

·
Super Moderator
5,333 Posts
A guy at work today referred to my G2 as being an El Camino. I don't think that was a compliment.:grin:

Reactions: bkp

·
Registered
441 Posts
A guy at work today referred to my G2 as being an El Camino. I don't think that was a compliment.:grin:
Funny. Ive gotten nothing but "dude magnet" interest from coworkers with F-150,250,Silverados and Rams.. They all seem to like it and are shocked about the dual tailgate and trunk.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,586 Posts

Hmm. You mean like this?

Turn down the volume (NSFW)

Reactions: bkp

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I've driven an F-150 for almost 18 years. Ford knows what its customers want but I'm not going to spend the dollars Ford wants for what they think the next big thing will be.

The RL will exceed my needs for the next 18 years and will do it with style.

The haters will always hate but the anger is born of jealousy; this is a gorgeous truck with all the comforts. The extra goodies Honda engineers have added will pay off in the long game!

This review will send a wake up message to the big 3. WAKE UP!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
How come the guy in the first video contradicted himself ??

Watch the short video ( 1st link ) .. he praised the RL.

Then watch the long version of the group comparison .. when it's his turn... he was all negatives.

??? :surprise:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts