Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a stock piece. Its just a guard / aero plate.
It bends up super easy if you hit it. I see you have a tape measure out. What are you up to?
Haha. Thanks for the info! Figured it was more like an aero plate or something like that. I was measuring ground clearance after my lift and tire install. This weekend I learned the hard way about the bending. Did a tight 3 point turn on a narrow trail and rolled a rock under it. Bent up one side of it so much that the clip on one side was dislodged. Not worried about it, will probably just get under there and bend it back into shape. Did some fun climbs and blue trails at Hungry Valley, CA - Was in sand mode the whole time and it handled everything like a champ, clearance was great, expect for that rock.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Haha. Thanks for the info! Figured it was more like an aero plate or something like that. I was measuring ground clearance after my lift and tire install. This weekend I learned the hard way about the bending. Did a tight 3 point turn on a narrow trail and rolled a rock under it. Bent up one side of it so much that the clip on one side was dislodged. Not worried about it, will probably just get under there and bend it back into shape. Did some fun climbs and blue trails at Hungry Valley, CA - Was in sand mode the whole time and it handled everything like a champ, clearance was great, expect for that rock.
Yeah my plate is all bent up but still holding on! The AWD is really good, don't know what year you have but the only problem for me is when things get steep, my 2017 transmission tends to run hot. I've only got the warning lights a few times.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah my plate is all bent up but still holding on! The AWD is really good, don't know what year you have but the only problem for me is when things get steep, my 2017 transmission tends to run hot. I've only got the warning lights a few times.
I got a 2018. I've managed to impress a lot of my 4x4 friends with how capable the RL's AWD is. You really do feel the iVTM working on off road terrain. I hear about this transmission issue a lot. Is that something that only happens with the 6 speed? Or did they fix this in later model years. I hear the new 8 speed handles steep slow climbs better. Do all Ridgelines have the heavy duty tranny cooler BTW? Wondering is putting in an aftermarket one is a good move.

·
Registered
108 Posts
This YouTube video shows a Passport (9speed) and a 6speed Ridgeline on very challenging terrain. The Ridgeline‘s 6speed transmission is not very happy. The 9speed’s lower first gear is a real asset in off road conditions. The 6speed’s higher 1st year ratio means more heat generated by the TQ in the worst environment - slow speed with little or no airflow over the ATF cooler.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got a 2018. I've managed to impress a lot of my 4x4 friends with how capable the RL's AWD is. You really do feel the iVTM working on off road terrain. I hear about this transmission issue a lot. Is that something that only happens with the 6 speed? Or did they fix this in later model years. I hear the new 8 speed handles steep slow climbs better. Do all Ridgelines have the heavy duty tranny cooler BTW? Wondering is putting in an aftermarket one is a good move.
I put on a large cooler but it was over cooling in the winter. I made this twin fan setup for the stock cooler to see if its enough to keep things under control. Hoping to test it out today!

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
606 Posts
I haven’t read any threads on transmission problems or overheat lights on the 2020 yet but they haven’t been out long enough. The transmission cooler on the AWD Ridgelines is not a heavy duty cooler, it’s a very tiny cooler. The FWD Ridgelines don’t have any cooler from the factory.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put on a large cooler but it was over cooling in the winter. I made this twin fan setup for the stock cooler to see if its enough to keep things under control. Hoping to test it out today! View attachment 405551
That's pretty awesome. Would love to hear how it turns out. Do you mount this to the front grille area? Do you have a scangauge to measure your transmission temp before and after this install on steep terrain?

·
Registered
2019 RTL
81 Posts
I made this twin fan setup for the stock cooler to see if its enough to keep things under control. Hoping to test it out today!
Very interested to see how your fan setup works out. I purchased a spal 4". But once I had the bumper off I realized I was definitely going to need a shroud to mount it correctly. I really like the look of your dual setup.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I haven’t read any threads on transmission problems or overheat lights on the 2020 yet but they haven’t been out long enough. The transmission cooler on the AWD Ridgelines is not a heavy duty cooler, it’s a very tiny cooler. The FWD Ridgelines don’t have any cooler from the factory.
The 2020 uses the 9 spd compared to the 6 spd. The gearing is lower and the transmission doesn't seem to have heat issues,
That's pretty awesome. Would love to hear how it turns out. Do you mount this to the front grille area? Do you have a scan gauge to measure your transmission temp before and after this install on steep terrain?
It bolts to the same 4 points that hold the cooler in place. I didn't really give myself a good location to mount a thermostat. I have a 180F thermostat bolted to the shroud but when I went out I waited until the trans reached 221F on my torque pro app before I hit the manual over ride switch, temps didn't drop but they stabilized for the remained of the climb... I have 43K on the truck but I've never changed the screen filter on the transmission and I'm thinking that may be hurting my flow a bit.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E in Modern Steel Metallic
10 Posts
The 2020 uses the 9 spd compared to the 6 spd. The gearing is lower and the transmission doesn't seem to

It bolts to the same 4 points that hold the cooler in place. I didn't really give myself a good location to mount a thermostat. I have a 180F thermostat bolted to shroud but when I went out I waited until 221F on my torque pro app before I hit the manual over ride sger drop... I have 43K on the truck but I've never changed the screen filter on the transmission and I'm thinking that may be hurting my flow.
Great job on thinking of that design, it looks las if it provides great coverage to the stock cooler. It appears you are using two 4" Spal pusher fans but would you mind explaining what you used for the mount and how you were able to modify it to bolt directly to the existing cooler? Feel free to elaborate on other details on wiring the fan to a manual switch in the cabin (I like the connectors plugs you are using, they look very watertight).

I was looking at fan setups made for motorcycle and atv oil coolers but your setup seems like it would provide more cooling than those options. Thanks in advance for any insight that you are able to provide.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Great job on thinking of that design, it looks las if it provides great coverage to the stock cooler. It appears you are using two 4" Spal pusher fans but would you mind explaining what you used for the mount and how you were able to modify it to bolt directly to the existing cooler? Feel free to elaborate on other details on wiring the fan to a manual switch in the cabin (I like the connectors plugs you are using, they look very watertight).

I was looking at fan setups made for motorcycle and atv oil coolers but your setup seems like it would provide more cooling than those options. Thanks in advance for any insight that you are able to provide.
The bracket itself is just .062" aluminum. I had a different cooler on the truck and went back to stock so I just measured the stock cooler while it was off the truck to make the bracket. The factory cooler uses (4) M6 bolts to mount the cooler to the truck. I just used slightly longer bolts from ACE and bolted through the shroud. I used a fuse tap and pulled power off of the heated seats circuit. I ran the wiring through the fire firewall above the gas pedal and added a rocker switch to one of my "blanks" to the left of the steering wheel. Derale offers a thermostat enabled 40A fan relay with an override as a kit. So the override goes to the switch and the other input goes to the thermostat. The fan power plugs are off amazon and I tried out these interesting crimpless/solderless cable mates from Kuject. We'll see if those come back to haunt me or not. The spal fans combine are good for around 250 CFM. I think that about sums it up.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E in Modern Steel Metallic
10 Posts
The bracket itself is just .062" aluminum. I had a different cooler on the truck and went back to stock so I just measured the stock cooler while it was off the truck to make the bracket. The factory cooler uses (4) M6 bolts to mount the cooler to the truck. I just used slightly longer bolts from ACE and bolted through the shroud. I used a fuse tap and pulled power off of the heated seats circuit. I ran the wiring through the fire firewall above the gas pedal and added a rocker switch to one of my "blanks" to the left of the steering wheel. Derale offers a thermostat enabled 40A fan relay with an override as a kit. So the override goes to the switch and the other input goes to the thermostat. The fan power plugs are off amazon and I tried out these interesting crimpless/solderless cable mates from Kuject. We'll see if those come back to haunt me or not. The spal fans combine are good for around 250 CFM. I think that about sums it up.
I can vouch for those Kuject connectors; I used them for a radar detector and dash camera setup in my truck and used a Dewalt 20v heatgun on them. It made the whole process more convenient and the connections have held up well.

The fan setup looks interesting and it seems as if No-Lo designs is testing a similar set-up for the stock transmission cooler (see photos below). This was posted on the No-Lo designs Facebook page so maybe results will be posted in the future. It looks like the pusher fans might block more airflow when the fans not running so I am curious to see how it works.

I looked at my transmission cooler a few weeks ago and was trying to come up with a design to use spacers or standoff hardware to allow pusher fans to be used behind it. I currently plan on using an aftermarket cooler because I do most of my driving in warmer climates, but it would be nice if the stock cooler could be modified to make the ATF run cooler in towing and off road situations.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,020 Posts
Baller with those SPAL fans. As always, your workmanship is top quality bud. Keep it up.

@joal81 , @Venphic = No-Lo Designs, in case you missed.One and the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts