Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Mice behind back seat

11K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  smufguy 
#1 ·
Hi, I am new here, I have a 2010 RL. I have looked at posts in the past for help but the is my first post. Also, keep in mind I am not a "car person" so I would appreciate having things explained in a way that's easy to understand for a beginner, pics help :). I had my engine rebuilt by my buddy on the fire dept, and it was basically sitting in the woods for a month not being driven. I already live out in the country so mice are an ongoing issue....but it really turned into a mice motel. It smelled so bad when I picked it up I had to drive with all windows down. I detailed the interior myself and that made a big difference....but the smell persisted. I replaced my cabin air filter, and that helped, but there were more. I checked my engine air filter, and it was fine, but i found poop on the battery, not surprising. I think there are some behind my moonroof...but that feels like a big problem to tackle (I am open to advice). Last night, I went to set mouse traps and heard the nibbling....I found the biggest nest I have ever seen behind the back seat. I removed it and vacuumed as much as I could reach and set more traps. My question is, is there a way to get back there? I saw some posts about removing the seats, but then people recommending removing the front bed panel (this was all related to wiring stuff though). Any advice? Thanks!
Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Floor

See less See more
#10 ·
#5 ·
I now carry and use cayenne pepper that I sprinkle all over my engine on a regular basis. After the damage they did to my wiring and ultimately catalytic converter. My insurance paid out good money to have it repaired. The dealer shielded the wiring on top of the engine but said the best preventative was cayenne pepper. They told me they have seen the same Hondas in their shop more than once for rodent issues.

#8 ·
I purchased a couple of these on Amazon and installed them on my RL and 4 Runner. $24 each, check em out. Install took about 10min per vehicle and was as simple as loosening (not removing) the +/- bat. cables and sliding in the spade connectors. Been about 1 month and I no longer have droppings under either vehicle's hood.

Loraffe Under Hood Animal Repeller Rodent Repellent Ultrasonic Rat Deterrent LED Strobe Lights Keep Mice Away from Car Pest Control 12V 24V Vehicle Rodent Defense Vehicle Protection

#15 ·
I agree. I had a terrible mouse problem in my house that traps would not solve. I had to kill them with poison. Very little sign of dead mice or of smell. They usually just disappear. Occasionally I would find a dried up mouse. Like mouse jerky lol. It's worth it to get rid of them. Especially in a vehicle you won't have any odor problem I bet. If you do it will only last a couple of days.

#16 ·
I use Fresh Cap I get from Tractor Supply every year to place in various places in my motor home. The smell is not bad from the fresh cap but mice do not like it. I have not had any mice in 8 years. I do live in a small city but have many animals that come out of the woods at night.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN

#18 ·
I to had a mouse issue. Opening up the glove compartment seeing shred up papers. They weren’t making the nest there. They were taking it back to the trunk. I cleaned the truck front to back and top to bottom. Then wiping it down with alcohol. Instead of using poison, we got those Tom Cat super glue traps and put some peanut butter. Also used silica packets. There is no longer a mice issue. With poison you take the risk that it might die in a vent that you can’t easily get to. It happened to me in another truck. As someone mentioned on an earlier post there is a vent on the right side where the spare tire is.

#19 ·
Great simple trap--put one next to the truck, maybe on either side or in the bed if its open: Five-gallon bucket with about 4 inches of water in the bottom, one or two yard-sticks or similar planks as paths from the ground up to the top of the bucket, smear a glob of peanut butter about 6 inches below where the yardstick rests on the top of the bucket. Mice can't resist trying for the peanut butter and will fall in the bucket and drown. If your yard is big enough or your in an open area then disposal is easy because you can just dump out the bucket somewhere. You may get all the mice in one or two nights.

#20 ·
The rodents I encounter, are attacking my RIDGE many miles from home in below freezing weather which is why they are trying to find a warm bed for the night. I don't have a rodent problem at my home. Water, buckets, peanut butter is well and good but not so good 400-500 miles from home.

#24 ·
Somehow I missed all these replies! I cleaned out the nest and regularly set traps and it seemed to get better. Now, my truck is sitting more so they are back and I need to readdress it. I can smell them when I roll down the widows and open the moon roof, so I think somehow they are even in the doors and roof. I am feeling very discouraged honestly....

#26 ·
Unfortunately I experienced this with my 90 civic wagon when i parked it for the winter before. Insurance wanted to write if off due health safety from mice droppings. Which I said no due to it being a rt4wd wagon. The only solution i had was remove all the interior including the dash and carpet. Lifted the car atleast 3 feet off the ground placed traps and poison around the spots i lifted at so no mice and go up again. Few days after i wrapped the whole car with plastic and called the exterminator to fog the whole car with poison. It worked took me about a month to find all the dead mice. Given that it was a small car. A bit unconventional but its my wagon i wouldnt trade it for any sports car.. Its almost 100 chance u can get rid of the infestation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.