Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found 5 dead baby mice in the bed trunk area. Pulled out spare tire and there is a vent I presume in upper right area..think that is where they got in or rubber grommet for wire harness. Anyone else have this problem and how you kept them out of that area....

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I dont have that problem but moth balls will do the trick.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
my mother in law is allergic to cats

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yikes, I see no reason for cables running into the cargo area. I'd get some flexible caulk into the hole.
Thanks for he heads up. I'll be pulling the spare and looking around in there.
A family of mice or chipmunks can reak.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Yikes, I see no reason for cables running into the cargo area. I'd get some flexible caulk into the hole.
Thanks for he heads up. I'll be pulling the spare and looking around in there.
A family of mice or chipmunks can reak.
I believe the hole exists to equalize pressure when you close the in-bed trunk. - At least that's what I think I read somewhere. You might pop the mice's eardrums if you seal the hole !

:act030:

·
Registered
526 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,035 Posts
There is, indeed, a vent in front of the spare tire. Mice could easily get in it if you live in a mouse-prone area. I like to completely pull out my spare at least once a year or so and clean it and check the air pressure. When I do that, I clean back there as it does get a little dusty. Never had an issue with critters getting in, though. I would suggest you take out the spare and maybe throw in some Decon or some other mouse poison. If you don't want to go that far, believe it or not, mice hate the smell of Irish Spring soap. I know it sounds nuts, but it works. Take a bar of the original IS and put it back there. It shouldn't melt even in very high temps and will keep your trunk mouse-free and smelling amazing.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
That's why I love this place! Never knew the vent was there and I live in a mouse prone area. I'll check it out, maybe make a small screen cover for it. Something to do.

I've heard about the Irish Spring thing never tried it. I do keep one or two of those fresh pine air fresheners in the trunk to kill the tire smell on my camping gear. Might that have the same efffect?

I knew about the steel wool and mouse/rat barrier.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,035 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
After 320K miles, the first issue I have had is a mouse in the trunk, nice to know I am not the first! 🤣 thanks for the tips. I will moth ball the little nuisance.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
4 Posts
Seems like mint (peppermint?) might be the ticket. I opted for peppermint oil on cotton balls.

I'm going off of what I found on YouTube:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts