Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTH. New truck and I park it in driveway while boat is in garage. I go to look under hood and pop the plastic cover off to find this. Ridiculous. MVIMG_20180711_194829.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Wowserz !!!! :surprise:

I wonder where/what they do when you get moving ??...do they just scatter somewhere & when you come back they huddle back to the engine ??

Kinda odd place to grow a nest...isn't it really hot there ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wow - I've found two black widows in the tailgate hinges, and feel lucky compared to that. Hope the move out soon for you... I'd worry about a fire.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Kill em, kill every last one of the Bastages!!

Rodents, never good!

Traps, guns, fire, cats—whatever it Takes!! Killl them until they are DED!

Tru...ar

Reactions: Last Train

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Where are they finding the stuffing? Holes in your seats or airfilter missing? Animals do silly things, sounds like you need some cats.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where are they finding the stuffing? Holes in your seats or airfilter missing? Animals do silly things, sounds like you need some cats.
The stuffing comes from the underneath of the plastic engine cover. Three cats. We have a lot of mice and Chipmunks this year for some reason. Cats can't keep the population in check, lol

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Mice under the hood can be catastrophic!

Whole wiring harnesses had to be replaced costing 5-10 grand.

My brother had them get into his engine and it cost over $750 to just get the motor running again and many thing still do not work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm really surprised by this as my truck only sits in driveway overnight, maybe a couple day stretches here and there when I use my wife's car. Seems like an odd spot to build a nest given how hot it is under the cover. Anyways, I see no mouse poop. Interestingly, I had another truck (2006 Tundra) that sat outside all the time and there was poop under the hood and I even saw a mouse under there recently. That truck was parked much closer to the woods so it kinda makes sense. The Honda is kept on pavement near the garage.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I used to see a lot of discussion of rodent damage on the GM-Trucks forum. The consensus was that peppermint oil applied under the hood was a good deterrent. A couple of members stuffed whiffle golf balls with cotton, applied peppermint oil to the cotton and then attached the final assembly under the hood in various places near the wiring. There certainly was a lot of "MacGuyvering" going on including a water bucket rat trap device....it all seems to be aligned with the soy based wiring issue...good luck

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The stuffing comes from the underneath of the plastic engine cover. Three cats. We have a lot of mice and Chipmunks this year for some reason. Cats can't keep the population in check, lol

Dang, that sucks. Maybe I'll take a peek at mine. We have feral/farm cats that hunt for a living, but also plentiful rodents due to the farm animals.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I feel your pain. I just dug this off the top of the engine block of my classic '93 Porsche 911. That's a five gallon bucket lid and that's the air guide the buggers chewed through to build their "little" nest. I'm lucky it didn't ignite and burn my car to the ground.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I'm really surprised by this as my truck only sits in driveway overnight, maybe a couple day stretches here and there when I use my wife's car. Seems like an odd spot to build a nest given how hot it is under the cover. Anyways, I see no mouse poop. Interestingly, I had another truck (2006 Tundra) that sat outside all the time and there was poop under the hood and I even saw a mouse under there recently. That truck was parked much closer to the woods so it kinda makes sense. The Honda is kept on pavement near the garage.
What then do you think it was?

It has to be mice or rats. It can happen inside of garages.

DeCon can be your friend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Went through the same thing. Rodents chewed through wiring. Soy based wiring and living in the bush is the problem. Neighbor down the street who has no garage puts lights under both cars and leaves them on all night.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had my FJ Cruiser wires completely eaten by rodents while it was in a garage, lights on with mothballs EVERYWHERE. I had loose mothballs placed in spots in the engine bay, on the floor and big bags of them hanging from the hood. ( I don't drive it much) Chewed the main wire harness, fuel injector wires, windshield washer hoses, even chewed the return fuel lines. Total bill was over 8 grand.
I was lucky, State Farm insurance covered it all with $100 deductible!

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
WTH. New truck and I park it in driveway while boat is in garage. I go to look under hood and pop the plastic cover off to find this. Ridiculous. View attachment 377754

I deal with a lot on mice in the bush and for some reason that pic of a mouse house doesnt look right, its soooo fresh. What made you remove the cover, do you have a pic of the cover that was damaged. Just wondering...............

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I deal with a lot on mice in the bush and for some reason that pic of a mouse house doesnt look right, its soooo fresh. What made you remove the cover, do you have a pic of the cover that was damaged. Just wondering...............
I took the cover off to install a s-tcm module

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
No point getting them out of the truck if they aren't out of the garage and home.

Call a good pest control service. Your problem will be solved

1 - 20 of 25 Posts