Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Middle of Negotiating - What to do Next? - DEAL DONE!

I'm in the middle of negotiating a price on a black RTL with nav. The first price that gave me was $36,000. After talking with the wife, I called and let them know I had to get my payments down to $350 after putting $15k down. They came back with $35,000 and suggested a 72-month loan (I won't do more than 66, preferring 60), with the coming interest rate promotion as an additional way to get payments down.

Of course, I want to get the $35,000 lower. I've seen people on here walking away with the RTL at $33,000, but I know that can depend on other issues.

So, does anyone have a suggestion on what say next? Do I bring up invoice, do I just flat out say "$33,000 or I walk"? Or just take the price if they toss in a tow package or something like that?

Scott

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'd say .... Im checking with another dealer and sofar it sounds like they can do much better.. but you guys can leave me a message with your best price and I'll get back to you.

Then you go to another dealer and tell them you have a dealer that will get it to you for 33K and see if they can beat it.

If you can wait one more week, it will be the end of the month and your negotiations will be that much stronger.

But that's just me. :rolleyes:

Good luck!

PS.... MAKE SURE THAT'S OTD PRICE !!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got my RTL with NAV for $33,000 by using this method.

They didn't have a number we liked so we wrote down a number we wanted, they went and talked with the manager and came to a number between, we said $33,000 they said no, so we said it was ok we were going to the other Honda dealer 15 miles away. The sales guy flipped over the paper and it said "you got a deal, $33,000" on it. :)

I am picking mine up today at 6:30. :D

Can't wait... Tick Tick Tick!

Don't go for the $35,000 deal, thats the STICKER PRICE!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the end of the month can really benefit? I can wait...I wasn't even in the market for a new vehicle until I saw this truck in the mall last week!

Coincidentally, the end of the month is this weekend, same time as the alleged "interest rate promotion" they told me about.

Scott

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wait...so he said no to $33k, but already had "it's a deal, $33k" written on the other side?!

Scott

·
Registered
167 Posts
What's the invoice on an RTL? Just figure what you would be willing to pay over that and tell them. I don't think you should tell them what you want the monthly payment to be. You need to be prepared that they might not like your offer and vice versa--depends on how important it is to you to get it now or later (maybe much later). I'm no expert but I doubt downpayment amount is as big of a negotiation point as it is with real estate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
YIKES I would go to another dealer. never give them a payment always go for a bottom line price. right now you are in the process of playing the dealer game. do yourself a favor and walk away from that and do some homework before making your deal. as for the end of the month thing-it works but the end of the month is next tuesday not this weekend.

·
Registered
169 Posts
As a data point, I ended up right in the middle of invoice and MSRP. Not a great deal but not too bad for a truck in high demand and short supply.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Skaught said:
Wait...so he said no to $33k, but already had "it's a deal, $33k" written on the other side?!

Scott
Yup he did. He had 33,500 written as his final offer on the front then on the back he had written it's a deal, $33,000 on the other side.

I was not upset at this, I wasn't expecting to get it for that price, all the dealers in the area are charging over MSRP for it

·
Registered
25 Posts
I dont think the supply and demand issue is a problem anymore. Most dealers I see today have many in the lot. the whole thing is your decision, if you feel that price is a good deal then go for it. its a Great truck!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The monthly payment I mentioned would require a price of $33,000, so I haven't gotten myself stuck.

I originally checked out and later test drove the car at another Honda dealership, which the new guy knows about (but not which one). I'm going to go to them and try to work it.

Scott

·
Registered
25 Posts
Skaught said:
The monthly payment I mentioned would require a price of $33,000, so I haven't gotten myself stuck.
Scott

Really? whats the interest rate? loan amount? tax title tag? dealer fees? anytime your negotiating with a payment your playing the game. Something does not jive here in car world :confused:

L

·
0 Posts
Skaught said:
So the end of the month can really benefit? I can wait...I wasn't even in the market for a new vehicle until I saw this truck in the mall last week!

Coincidentally, the end of the month is this weekend, same time as the alleged "interest rate promotion" they told me about.

Scott
Yes..the end of the month can make all the difference. Try searching on the net for your Truck. Some dealers out there may be willing to sell to you just to beat another dealers price and bring you to them.

Sometimes, dealers extend the end of the month into the first few days of the next month. SHOP, SHOP, SHOP!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
JOERIDGE said:
Really? whats the interest rate? loan amount? tax title tag? dealer fees? anytime your negotiating with a payment your playing the game. Something does not jive here in car world :confused:
hey skaught,,,,,,,,,,,,i agree with joeridge............discussing monthly payments really puts the dealer in control.....they can shape the financing and terms to meet your 350 month and in turn end up costing you more for the truck. you know what you can afford, thats half the battle, but honestly, consider discussing price, bottom line. also, if you are going to let them finance you, make sure they tell you what the rate is up front and compare that as well......i did, and ended up financing through credit union because the dealer would not tell me there "best possible rate". after they found out i wasn't using them to finance, they offered to "shop my rate around". i said no thanks.....all this via phone mind you....then when i went to c.u. to sign
the papers (dealer faxes purchase order to c.u), the price was inflated by 500.00! so of course i had to go back to dealer and straighten out myself........anyway skaught, two main things to keep in mind is bottom line price and finance rate. that will determine what your payments are. try not to let it be the other way around. ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had them work up the entire cost for buying the truck, including fees, taxes, tag, etc. and had them get the best rate they could. As far as they knew, I was buying the truck right then. They had a credit union with a rate of 4.85%, which isn't too bad based on what I was able to find on my own so far. So we had narrowed it down to an actual monthly payment at that point. I told them I had to know what I would be paying before I would make a decision.

Scott

·
Registered
362 Posts
I agree with joeridge and jeffiam BUT Im not going to argue about someone else's money even if I dont agree. Dude if you think that's a good deal then go for it. People in here are offering you some valuable information and even first hand experience with what they purchased their truck for. The bottom line is all up to you as your the one signing the papers for your truck.

best of luck with your purchase, hope its everything you wanted.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't think it's a good deal yet and if they don't come down, I'm going elsewhere. There's more than one dealer in the area by far! I wasn't diagreeing with the others, but I think they thought I just brought a payment amount to the table without considering all the fees and taxes involved. The only way for them to get my payment amount is to drop the car price to $33k. They already brought all the fees to the table, so they can't add anything on without screwing up the deal.

Scott

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A related question - I've seen some people talk about doing deal entirely over the phone. Can you really call up a dealer and say, "I have such-and-such a deal going on at another dealer. Can you beat it?" It seems like they would think you're just out fishing.

Scott

1 - 20 of 50 Posts