Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my MM let me know that it was time for a B16 (Oil, filter, Rotate Tires and Change Rear Differential Fluid.) Problem is that I just did an A16 in July (confirmed with dealer). Since then I've only done ~3500 miles. No towing!

I can't for the life of me figure out why the MM thinks I need to do the diff fluid again. Is my Ridge a hypochondriac? :act002:

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Today my MM let me know that it was time for a B16 (Oil, filter, Rotate Tires and Change Rear Differential Fluid.) Problem is that I just did an A16 in July (confirmed with dealer). Since then I've only done ~3500 miles. No towing!

I can't for the life of me figure out why the MM thinks I need to do the diff fluid again. Is my Ridge a hypochondriac? :act002:
So you had the A16 service done in July by the dealer. The question is, did your MM require the A16 service to be done then?? If not, then it could not have been cleared (this resets the "counter" so-to-speak). If that's the case, then you're likely looking at a matter where you just got your service done earlier than called for, so now you're out of synch with your MM. IF this is the case, you now need to either start doing your maintenance independently of the MM (by calendar, miles or whatever), or return to MM schedule by doubling up now or just resetting the minder now & delaying next service ... which extends the period the MM would have you performing your service by. Hope this makes sense to you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...Hope this makes sense to you.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks Dnick!

Trust me the ONLY reason I would take it to the dealer was if the MM was calling for something. I actually did the Oil change myself but because it was "Certified Used" :act002:, and still under the warranty, I kept the receipts and took it to them for the Diff change and tire rotation.

When I got it back there was no MM message. I don't 'think' it's possible to selectively reset the MM. Especially while turning off the reminder... Is it?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,588 Posts
The question is: what was the MM calling for back in July?

Regardless, I'd clear the MM at this B16 and not worry about the -6 code until the next time it's due. You'll only be 3500 mile-ish over, if that.

If you have confidence that the dealer actually did the -6 service, that is. How many miles did you have on it in July at that service interval? I wonder if the dealer was doing some sort of 15k/30k/60k service rather than following the MM?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Just to confirm, it was a Honda/Acura dealer which did the A16, service. If it was me, I'd either stop at the dealer and have them reprint the service order from last year or have them email it to me. My dealer has started emailing me both the drop off paperwork and the final pickup paperwork.

Otherwise, I'm with Speed, +/-3500 miles, NBD, but get it in writing, I just wouldn't trust a phone call for confirmation.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point(s). I'll swing by and get the printout of the service order from the dealer. Then reset the MM.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
22,588 Posts
Just to clarify, I wouldn't reset the MM now. I'd reset it at your next service interval (OCI).

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
If he's like me he'll want to reset it now, just so he won't have to look at this for the next several months. And go ahead & do an (extra?) oil change now or in the near future. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,588 Posts
Since he's also due an oil and filter change, I'd do the work and reset the MM (just not doing the rear diff service if there's high confidence that work was done 3500 miles ago).

But I wouldn't reset the MM until the work is done. It's likely a 15% callout anyway. That's typically another 1000 miles of driving for me and is simple to kill the alert.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts