Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been playing around with various raw and assembled LEDs for a while now. Borrowing the idea from Ford, I installed the stainless fixtures seen in the middle on the underside of the exterior rear view mirrors.

Technology Wire

There's plenty of how to mirror removal/mod info on the ROC, so this ain't no "how to" post, just the results.

If I had it to do over again (and I will), I'd move these to the outer most portion of the mirror, away from reflections on the door skin.

In the images above, the light emitted by the black fixture is MUCH more pleasing, with a natural-ish yellow tint. But even mounted on the bottom of the mirror, I couldn't handle the cosmetics. They were likely made for a specific application/installation, hence the recessed groove. Tried filling it with an O-Ring but... ah... no.

Automotive mirror Rear-view mirror Vehicle door Automotive exterior Auto part

Anyhoo, these are mighty bright. Like obnoxiously bright. And there is glared from the door, but if you wanna see whats on the ground, you will.

Automotive lighting Light Night Vehicle door Darkness

Next time the door panels come of, these will get moved to the outer edge.

In the meantime, they are wired to power at the rear console/back seat passenger feat. I like having the vehicle let me know where it is in a dark lot, lighting up the ground around her, but they MIGHT be times you don't want to advertise so brightly.

True of all LEDs, these things are hyper-current efficient. The combo of rear seat and both exterior mirror LEDs require less than half the current demanded by the single incandescent bulb that used to light the rear passenger floor.

Wire Electrical wiring Electronics Technology Electronic device

I've already experimented with tint. No bueno. Will play with a resistor or two to tone down the overwhelming eye ball piercing pure white light from these little devils.

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting

https://www.oznium.com/

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,894 Posts

· Registered
4,166 Posts
2014 ACURA MDX Technology Package has LED Puddle Lights Entertainment/Advance Package have it. The standard MDX features do not include the Puddle Lights. Since 2016 Pilot did not list this feature for any models it is something I would consider aftermarket if getting Next Gen Ridgeline but under door. However the 2016 Honda Pilot does have Running Boards with Lights as a factory accessory as well as illuminated door sill trim.
Not exactly sure every factory accessory Next Gen Ridgeline is coming with.

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've thought about the down lighting under the doors so it lights the ground when you open the door, but this is an interesting concept along that thought process.

Something Similar to these although I could care less about the logo...

Although I'm now interested in these. or which ever will work...
I romanced the idea of using these LED "bolts" in the sheet metal at the bottom of the door - and thought O-Ring seals would do the job of keeping bare metal isolated from moisture - but I've seen far too many vehicles over the years suffer from the ill effects of penetrating factory steel. The only way I'm comfortable doing that is priming and painting after the fact - which isn't all that practical in some installations. From a practical point of view, installing puddle lights on the underside of the door makes perfect sense. And even more so when power to the door panel mounted light is close by for taping. The mounting options you linked to are cool, but like you I could care less about logs - and danged sure don't want to be fussing with batteries.

Besides, after seeing both mirror and underdoor mounted lights in action, the added benefit of lighting the approach to the vehicle won me over.

"Real" puddle lights do a better job of lighting passengers exit, but I'm enjoying the way people react to these - sometimes they even change course to avoid getting close to the illuminated space around the truck. I dunno why they do but I tested it out a few times. Its amusing!

· Registered
156 Posts
Awesome work! While my Ridgeline is stuck in the garage I may follow your lead and rig something similar. Great post.

· Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,988 Posts
I am now experiencing the down light phenomenon with my Enterprise RTL replacement vehicle, a 2015 Ford Expedition XLT EL with Ecoboost. I notice that it also reflects off the door and it's mounted about in the middle of the mirror.

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am now experiencing the down light phenomenon with my Enterprise RTL replacement vehicle, a 2015 Ford Expedition XLT EL with Ecoboost. I notice that it also reflects off the door and it's mounted about in the middle of the mirror.
Doncha love the way they light approach to the vehicle in total darkness? I sure do. The Ford Edge I swiped the idea from uses incandescent bulbs, the light the emit contains much more yellow - even though there is glare from the body, it's not as intensely bright/white as the of Oznium stainless "bolts" used in the OP. Moving them 4" or so to the outer edge of the flat underside mirror housing should make a small difference - probably just broadening the glare over a wider area. I'm guessing it'll spread light more evenly around the vehicle perimeter.

We'll see. Best of luck if you go with this addition. :)

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Update....

These have grown on me. So, they'll be staying where they are, at least for now.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Honda ridgeline

Vehicle door Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Vehicle Car

In preparation for audio projects (adding 3rd amp and a sub woofer build) the glove box & driver side panel under the main dash were left out, so the floor console was pulled out, disassembled, cleaned up, plastic treated, measurements taken and the area between seats made new again. Unreal how much crud collects in the crevices between console and seat trim!

While the console was fully apart, LEDs like those mentioned in this thread were installed. They *should* provide a light green glow to open space under the arm rest where loose kah-gah tends to collect.

Vehicle Car Vehicle door Auto part Automotive exterior

While at those projects, found a use for the ugly black LEDs on the right side in the image below. Thought I'd wasted $ of these because they are too industrial to be seen.

Technology Wire

Continued....

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Placing them on the glove box support bracket between the opening damper and lower edge of the dash, they shine towards the center console, lighting the footwell nicely.

Automotive lighting Light Automotive design Mid-size car Car

On the driver side, used a wire loom keeper attached to the underdash rail, just right of the e-brake release. It too shines towards the center.

Light Automotive lighting Car Night Vehicle

From the center, the wells light fairly evenly. The combo of the mirror mounted down lights and footwell lighting make for a comfortable approach and entry to the truck.

Light Night Mode of transport Darkness Lighting

EDIT: When the snout was off last weekend, I ran out of time to install DRL's, but did manage to create an opening in the slots under the headlights. I much prefer bar style LEDs in this application, but the bars I had on hand simply won't work out. So, I'll be fashioning a different solution to install a series of water proof 1W Oznium LED bolts. They should be fairly low key, more on that as time comes available.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Honda Pickup truck

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool project. How did you get behind the mirrors to install the LEDs?
Search "LED mirror" on the forum, pretty sure I've seen "how to" including door panel removal to get at the bottom two side mirror mount nuts.

20-28 in the field service manual details releasing the mirror from the nylon frame into which the mirror snaps. Easy peasy. Routing wire, just follow the factory path all the way thru the door wiring boot. I drilled a hole for the pre-wired LED's just outside where the mirror motor wires pass. Might have a photo or two of that if it would be helpful to you.

Text Line art Diagram Illustration

· Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,329 Posts
I think you will really enjoy the console LEDs.

The OCD in me wants to know, what's up with the house number in the last photo?

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,894 Posts
Bob,

Haven't you noticed by now how much fun Six has with PhotoShop or some other editor. He's always screwing with license plate numbers, and he's good at it, too. It's almost his signature...

Reactions: coolbob

· Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think you will really enjoy the console LEDs.
Haven't connected them to power yet. But I left the back of the console open so will get that part done in an early evening this week. Speaking of OCD, it can be both a blessing and a curse. I absolutely detest hacking into existing cables, for any reason. Did that countless times on customer vehicles, and had come backs because of it. So I adopted ways to connect to specific circuits that don't modify OEM cables/connectors. In the image below, it took about an hour to make power connections for the damned down lights. Ended up using old style ATC fuse taps, cut, filed and contoured to fit into the multi-pin housing under compression on both the insulator and factory pins held captive inside the connector house. 1/4" male spades exit the connector house, females soldered onto the wires - inside split loom - run along the rear HVAC ducting, the female terminations are enclosed in double heat shrink. This version of OCD insists that when looking at accessories, wiring and wire routes, it's difficult to distinguish new work from OEM. This brand of OCD makes otherwise quick jobs take hours. STUPID BRAIN!

Cable Wire Technology Cable management Electronics

The OCD in me wants to know, what's up with the house number in the last photo?
Just playing around with images. Don't go getting the idea I'm OCD and paranoid too. I don't believe they're out to get me. Honest!

Bob,

Haven't you noticed by now how much fun Six has with PhotoShop or some other editor. He's always screwing with license plate numbers, and he's good at it, too. It's almost his signature...
You noticed!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

The front plate on 06 was hacked into place by some schlub who should never be allowed to touch a drill. Almost lost my mind when I got around to pulling it off. Haven't put it back on yet, cuz I like rolling the dice with Sheriff Andy.

Vehicle registration plate Automotive exterior Auto part Motor vehicle Font

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.