Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 RL and am getting a check engine light and misfire in cylinder 4. Sometimes the VTM-4, !, and VSC lights will also turn on. I've changed the spark plugs to the stock type, changed the Timing belt, water pump, and changed the battery. With these eliminated, what are the likely causes?:

1) valves need to be adjusted
2) coil pack is bad
3) Other

·
Registered
277 Posts
#1 can be checked easily enough, especially since the code indicates the front bank. You can have the intake manifold and cylinder head cover off in about an hour.

#2 can be checked easily as well...easier than #1 can. Swap the coils between #4 and #6 (for example), clear the codes, and see if you now get a P0306. If so, you can figure on a bad coil. If you still get a P0304, then the problem remains with cylinder #4. If still #4, swap spark plugs between #4 and #6. If the problem moves, then it's a bad plug. If it remains, then it's probably something mechanical with that cylinder.

#3 can be a host of other things, like oil control rings, valve seat problems, etc. What does the #4 spark plug look like? If it's a consistent misfire, the plug should show evidence of that (either oil- or fuel-fouled). A picture of the spark plug would help, as well as a picture of the business end of the coil. The spark plug tube oil seal for #4 could be bad, too, but that's unlikely. There's only one seal, it's at the very top of the tube, and there's not any oil pressure there, so it's unlikely that you'd experience a problem from that. Possible, but not likely.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Does the engine run just fine but you are getting these indicators on dash? My RL has been doing that on and off for a couple years? Runs fine but the lights keep coming on and off. This happens usually just after I fill the tank with gas. Like fifty miles and the lights come on. Drive another fifty and they go off. Stopped by parts store when they were on and got a bank reading misfire. There isn't any misfire as it runs fine. If yours is doing this it is a common thing. I am thinking it is a bad sensor?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,588 Posts
I wouldn't say it is common. I've never seen it in the two J35s that I have. I have no idea what is causing the issue in your case.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it runs fine so maybe you are correct. The check engine light tends to stay on, but the other lights will often turn off if I turn the ignition off and back on.

The gas mileage isn't the greatest, but no idea if that is normal. Seems to get 17.5 going 78 mph and 18.8 or so going 65.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Stopped by parts store when they were on and got a bank reading misfire. There isn't any misfire as it runs fine. If yours is doing this it is a common thing. I am thinking it is a bad sensor?
Misfire codes aren't reported by "bank", as in Bank 1, Bank 2, etc. They're reported by cylinder. Did your misfire codes report different cylinders each time? What were your misfire codes? I couldn't say that false reports of misfires are common -- whether the misfire is real or not, something is not correct in the engine and I'd recommend further diagnosis.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It has been sometime since I had the codes read. As I remember it was something like complete complete misfire in all banks?? As I stated this has been going on for almost two years. Truck runs fine. Owned it from new and still runs like the day I bought it. Local Honda dealer says they can't find anything unless I can catch it with warning lights on? They are located 20 miles from me. Sorry to have jumped your post. Just wanted to know if you really had a misfire or if you have the same problem I have. There have been a couple posts with same problem we are having. To repeat the same sequence every time I fill the tank makes me think it is some problem with a sensor??

·
Registered
579 Posts
Intermittent misfire codes can be a pain and if a shop says that they can't get a code, there are still test that they can do.

1. Check the spark plug gap for excessive wear.
2. Fuel pressure check (could have plugged filter or weak pump)
3. Use a multi-meter and check fuel injector resistance & ignition coil to see if it's still in tolerance.
4. check battery voltage & amperage.

My Redneck check list:

1. I usually start off by running a good injector cleaner. My new favorite is RxP (1 bottle only treats 1/2 tank), YMMV.
2. Clean/check battery and vehicle hot & ground connections. Test battery.
3. Check plug gap and inspect plug and coil boot.
4. Then I like to look at the engine compartment at night while the vehicle is running. Look for any electrical sparks/flashing, I've spotted bad coil wires before.
5. I inspect vacuum leaks by lightly spraying carburetor cleaner around vacuum lines and intake manifold while it's running. If the engine rpm's increase, you have a vacuum leak.

If you have a specific code such as P0301 etc, clear codes and swap coils and see if the code changes.
If issues still persist, then I get into resistance of injector and fuel pressure.

Now where did I put my coffee....lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts