Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night I fueled up my wife's Pilot. When I went to reset the tripmeters, I found the MM had somehow reset itself to 100% (it was probably showing about 30% remaining before as I was only about 4k miles into the last oil change).

I have never seen that happen before. My wife knew nothing about it, in fact, she doesn't even know how to reset it. And it's such a defined procedure to reset it, I can't see it being accidentally reset.

Maybe I found a trick way to do it by pressing the knob too quickly or something paging through to reset the tripmeters.. I have no idea, and doubt I could duplicate it if that was what actually triggered the reset.

I'll just change oil about the usual mileage between OCIs and reset it again.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Could maybe be something with the crystal that saves that data? I now unplugging the battery doesnt even reset it. I guess it could just be an electronics fluke as long as it doenst happen again. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. Unless something else pops up, I'll just write that off as a stray electron.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,605 Posts
I'm too old to change an ingrained habit. I still go by mileage. It seems to always work.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
If the power is removed the MM acts as reset - battery failure will do this - My 2009 Ridgeline had 50% oil life showing when the battery failed after 3 months of ownership - when the replacement battery was installed it went 100% oil life - I acted like 60% was 10% and changed the oil.

It went to 100% two times the week the battery failed. Ironically, I was going to take it in on Monday when the battery failed completely and I had to jump start it. No other warnings and the replacement battery lasted until I replace the Ridgeline with a CR-V.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,381 Posts
When I had a cell fail in the battery in 2013 the 'pop' from the cell failing, flashed the entire dash, reset the MM, & Radio. I'd check the battery before it leaves you stranded somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
22,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never considered the battery could be the culprit. Good idea. The battery is getting on in age... it's probably 4-ish years old. Still cranks good and no other weird lights/warning signs. I do think it's cranking a bit slower than it used to... which clued me that my RL battery was going south. But I have never seen the MM reset or heard of that before due to a failing battery. (I carry a jump starter in each vehicle... so at least the inconvenience will be minimized).

But I'll bet you're right about the cause of the spontaneous reset. Iirc, this is only the 2nd battery in the 2006 Pilot which is now 9+ years old. ;) (I can't complain if that's true).

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I never considered the battery could be the culprit. Good idea. The battery is getting on in age... it's probably 4-ish years old. Still cranks good and no other weird lights/warning signs. I do think it's cranking a bit slower than it used to... which clued me that my RL battery was going south. But I have never seen the MM reset or heard of that before due to a failing battery. (I carry a jump starter in each vehicle... so at least the inconvenience will be minimized).

But I'll bet you're right about the cause of the spontaneous reset. Iirc, this is only the 2nd battery in the 2006 Pilot which is now 9+ years old. ;) (I can't complain if that's true).
You know what's funny Speed... I bet if someone else had had this problem & posted it here, you just might have thought to tell them to check the battery. LOL..... sometimes we're just too close to the trees. ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably so!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I have never seen that happen before. My wife knew nothing about it, in fact, she doesn't even know how to reset it. And it's such a defined procedure to reset it, I can't see it being accidentally reset.
Ya, my wife couldn't explain why there was a silverware knife down the drain of the bathroom sink until it started to clog, or denied knowledge of why the toilet clogged due to a certain article was continually being flushed down the toilet, or how a her bike got stuck while being put in the back seat of her CRV thru the rear doors instead of putting it in through the hatchback...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts