Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2013 Ridgeline Sport and I used Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy (AFE) 0W-20 for my first oil change. With the A/C off and at speeds of about 60 mph, and with relatively flat terrain, the mileage hits 24 to 25 mpg. This is with only me in the truck and about 25 pounds of luggage. I wasn't able to achieve this mileage until after the first oil change which was at about 7,500 miles. I should also mention that the VTM-4 fluid was also changed before I noticed the improved mileage. (VTM-4 fluid was changed early due to 3,000 miles of towing before the first oil change). Has anyone else gotten up to 25 mpg on the highway with their trucks using Mobil 1 AFE? The mileage I listed was reported by the truck. I most often use the same gas station and pump when I fill up. The mileage calculated by miles driven / gallons used was within 0.5 mpg of what the truck reported. I use 87 octane gas. I now have about 13,000 miles on the truck. I have not changed the oil for the second time yet.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
It is possible I guess that 0.5 to 1.0 mpg could be attributed to the oil. A few others have reported similar mileage on 5-20 oil.
There are so many variables involved it difficult to ascertain how much each one contributes. But they are all additive, and anything you do to improve mpgs can only help not hurt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks rollinhonda. Do you know if the Honda engineers improved the Ridgeline's highway mileage over the years but never advertized it? I'm surprised that I achieve mileage much better than the EPA highway spec of 21 mpg. Even on hilly roads, I get 22 or 23 mpg.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
When I first got my RL I compared the MPG the gauge reported to the actual mileage and found that the gauge is actually very accurate. Others have done the same test with similar results, so I don't bother calculating mileage anymore.

I've not reset my mileage gauge in several thousand miles, my RL is my daily driver, I drive it to work every day (7-mile in-town commute) and I travel 120-150 miles roundtrip to nearby towns a couple of times a month. I'm very pleased to be getting 19.3mpg average.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have a 2013 Ridgeline Sport and I used Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy (AFE) 0W-20 for my first oil change. With the A/C off and at speeds of about 60 mph, and with relatively flat terrain, the mileage hits 24 to 25 mpg. This is with only me in the truck and about 25 pounds of luggage. I wasn't able to achieve this mileage until after the first oil change which was at about 7,500 miles. I should also mention that the VTM-4 fluid was also changed before I noticed the improved mileage. (VTM-4 fluid was changed early due to 3,000 miles of towing before the first oil change). Has anyone else gotten up to 25 mpg on the highway with their trucks using Mobil 1 AFE? The mileage I listed was reported by the truck. I most often use the same gas station and pump when I fill up. The mileage calculated by miles driven / gallons used was within 0.5 mpg of what the truck reported. I use 87 octane gas. I now have about 13,000 miles on the truck. I have not changed the oil for the second time yet.
I'm sort of doubt the oil or the VTM fluid had too much to do with these numbers. All 0W-20 oils are synthetic. I would expect the Mobil1 to be a little better than some others. Maybe 0.5 MPG at the very most.

I have obtained similar readings over relatively short routes but it required a couple of "tricky" methods to obtain that kind of mileage on the readout. Fill tank to only first click, or run the test with a partial tank of gas. Obtain highway speed (60 mph) prior to resetting the MPG calculation. Maintain speed using cruise control only and avoid the temptation to pass using the throttle (plan passes as far ahead as possible to avoid throttle). Stay away from hilly routes and any hint of city traffic. Plan exits or stops to allow the truck to "coast" as far as possible prior to applying brakes.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I have been able to get 24+ MPG highway with Honda oil since my engine was broken in years ago. I can get even better going 50-55 MPH for long stretches. This is easier to reproduce using slightly higher octane (89+), but it's quite doable under your conditions without special aftermarket oil.

EPA standards assume somewhat aggressive driving (made moreso in 2008) and Honda is not yet one of the many auto companies that have been caught fudging their measurements. This doesn't help with their marketing, though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to mention that I always use cruise control on long trips. I assume Honda optimized the cruise control for gas mileage.

I also always reset the trip meter when I get gas. The excellent highway mileage numbers were for the full tank of gas. I definitely "babied it" to achieve 25 mpg but I was still traveling at about 60 mph. Routine highway mileage is more like 23.5 mpg.

I wonder if the EPA highway mileage rating of 21 mph was with 5 passengers on board? If the average man weighs 180 pounds then this would add up to 900 pounds.

In any event, I'm very happy with the Ridgeline highway mileage.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a 2013 RTS with 12000+ miles using Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy (AFE) 0W-20. On long trips in the northeast, (rarely any flat terrain) I am getting 22.5 MPG but that is at 70 to 75 MPH. Just had my second oil change and scheduled for transmission drain and fill and VTM-4 fluid changes shortly.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Cruise control is great for long stretches of flat land. It doesn't do so well in hilly country, as it can't predict the hills. So your speed will drop until it hits the lower-bound that the CC likes, then it'll drop one or two gears to get you back up to speed. This drinks gas.

I-10 in the Florida panhandle looks like it ought to be flat -- right next to the coastline, right? But it's actually rolling hills, and I got rather bad mileage on it with the CC active.

Chip H.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I wanna add to this thread that I was using Mobile 1 5w-20 full synthetic and getting almost 21mpg in my 2006, but then I changed over to Castrol 5W-30 High Mileage and have yet to get more than 18-19 mpg. I'm suprised that the change in oil can make such a difference.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,347 Posts
Bogus,
I doubt very seriously the change in oil had much if anything to do with your change in mileage.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
......... With the A/C off and at speeds of about 60 mph, and with relatively flat terrain, the mileage hits 24 to 25 mpg.....
I'm really not surprised at all. I expect anyone who hits the road as you did.... looong stretches of flat terrain, 60MPG (no punching the throttle)... wlll achieve same results with any ordinary oil; no tricks involved. The only time I've been self-restrained enough (can you say cruise control?) to drive like this (62 MPH), I got similar results (right at 25 is what I recall)... that was driving down from Idaho thru part of Utah to Wyoming (don't remember which stretch, but it was pretty flat). It wasn't easy driving that slow on their wide open, fast moving Interstates.
The key is even throttle & that low speed.... it's all about wind resistance with the Ridgeline.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts