Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ridgeline stinks! It developed the smell (like old cigars) about 3 months ago following a period of heavy rains here in the Northeast. I'm wondering if it's related to the water leak front right side.....maybe mold/mildew under the carpet. Anyone else have the problem? Got to fix this. It's making me sick!

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Check around the boards. There are several threads discussing not only windshield leaks but leaks in the back seat areas as well.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
the smell was how I discovered my leak (front passanger side). Dealer offered and perfectly installed new carpet when they fixed it. I didn't have to ask. Smells like new still (8 months later).

·
Registered
802 Posts
If it turns out it's not a leak but something more like condensed water in the duct system, an ozone treatment is an option. Most professional detail shops have an ozone generator. Pop it in, run it for 24 hours and it'll kill about anything. :) Should run around $45.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
RMG said:
My Ridgeline stinks! It developed the smell (like old cigars) about 3 months ago following a period of heavy rains here in the Northeast. I'm wondering if it's related to the water leak front right side.....maybe mold/mildew under the carpet. Anyone else have the problem? Got to fix this. It's making me sick!
Hi RMG, Hope you get this fixed. Keep us posted as to the outcome.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had a subaru that had a leak in the window. After the leak was fixed the inside smelled like mildew. Only fix was to rip out the carpet- found mold on the underside of the rugs. If you had a leak or suspect a leak get the carpets checked ASAP. That smell took months to get rid of even after replacing the carpets. Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also dicovered my leak after a smell had appeared. The dealer fixed the leak and put in new carpet. Smell has not returned.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My RTL has a moldy/mildew smell, but only when the heater or A/C is activated. Carpets seem dry. Taking to the dealer this week to see what the problem is and hopefully get it fixed. Will post a note when the work is finished.

·
Registered
319 Posts
tricycleone said:
My RTL has a moldy/mildew smell, but only when the heater or A/C is activated. Carpets seem dry. Taking to the dealer this week to see what the problem is and hopefully get it fixed. Will post a note when the work is finished.
good idea, weather its a leak or just condensation in the heating/A.C system, at least you will have it documented by the dealer for future references.

·
Registered
132 Posts
How do I change my pollen filter?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine has it too. I bought the vehicle in May 2005 and began noticing this odor in the late summer when we had heavy rains. So you know where the problem surfaced. After doing research on this and other sites, I checked under the rubber floormats last night and sure enough, moisture. This morning by the light of day and pulled the mat back and WOW, my carpet is 3 different colors, really creepy.

Dealer immediately acknowledged problem over the phone and is ordering all the replacement parts, windshield, carpet, etc. Why isn't Honday notifying early buyers of this major problem? I hope this smell will go away eventually. I actually believe it's making me physically sick.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That smell is coming from the A/C unit. Moisture collects inside during the summer when the A/C is used extensively. After the vehicle sits for a while the mold blooms and smells when the air is circulated.
One way of controlling it in the summer is to run the heat at ful tilt (temp and blower speed), and not on recirculate, for about 2-3 minutes prior to shutting down the vehicle for the night. The heat will dry out any moisture that's left behind and kill remaining mold spores.
Or stop at an auto parts store and pick up a spray can of disenfectant designed for car A/C systems. I have tried it and it does work....for a little while.

Don't blame Honda for this. Every vehicle gets this. Especially those like mine in Florida.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Your A.C also runs in winter to remove humidity when you select Defrost regardless of your temp setting.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I disagree with the statement that every vehicle gets this - if "this" is the level of moldy smell that comes out of the heating system. Please don't apologize for Honda, they did not get this heating system designed as well as they might have.

·
Registered
100 Posts
BillB, I can put you in a Ford, GM, Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, etc. and let you take a whiff from the A/C ducts. It's not how the system was designed, just a fact of life. I have been living in Florida for 18 years and I have yet to find a vehicle old or new that doesn't have a mold smell.
Life in Florida is nightmare for mold allergy sufferers. All we can do is cope with it.

BTW running the A/C system in recirculate all the time is the worst thing you can do. You need to pump in outside air to help clear it out.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Iggy, I have been driving different vehicles for many years and the mold and mildew smell is highest level in this new truck. I also lived in Florida for 3 years and you are right about that area being tough on vehicles and everything else when it comes to humidity related problems. Maybe only Seattle area is worse in this country.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I agree, bad honda design. MY truck almost killed me today.

I have a 78 truck that still smells like roses. Yes, it has A/C !!

Will see what the dealer has to say.........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Iggy said:
BillB, I can put you in a Ford, GM, Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi, etc. and let you take a whiff from the A/C ducts. It's not how the system was designed, just a fact of life. I have been living in Florida for 18 years and I have yet to find a vehicle old or new that doesn't have a mold smell.
Life in Florida is nightmare for mold allergy sufferers. All we can do is cope with it.

BTW running the A/C system in recirculate all the time is the worst thing you can do. You need to pump in outside air to help clear it out.
I've had that smell in probably each car I've owned. Turning off the a/c and running the fan for the last mile or so has seemed to work. Although I didn't notice that much of a smell with my RL this summer and I ran the a/c just about every second I was in the car, day and night.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts