Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a happy owner of a 2007 Ridgeline and am ready for a new truck.

I've been waiting a year for the new Ridgelines and called a dealership last month only to have the unknowing salesman state to me that it would be another 2 years for the new Ridgeline to be released.

I went and checked out the new Tacoma. i like them, but too many things are missing that the Ridgeline has.

I was ready to buy the Tacoma until I decided to double check this forum.

I'm ready to hold another 6 months for the Ridgeline but I sure hope Honda will give a definite release date January.

Is the April 2016 estimation realistic?

·
Registered
9,967 Posts

I've been waiting a year for the new Ridgelines and called a dealership last month only to have the unknowing salesman state to me that it would be another 2 years for the new Ridgeline to be released.

I went and checked out the new Tacoma. i like them, but too many things are missing that the Ridgeline has.

I'm ready to hold another 6 months for the Ridgeline but I sure hope Honda will give a definite release date January.
Welcome to the ROC, you should get your opportunity with in the next 6 months or less. A preview of the 2017 should be released early in January.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Out of curiosity, has Toyota fixed the soft, floaty ride that the previous gen.Taco's and 4Runners had?
I would say yes its much better. Had a firm Ride. It has a few perks I like that include on the off road edition, more ground clearance among a few other thing. I will still considerthe Tacoma if Honda is not superior.
Problems I do not like are:
1. not trunk in bed
2. bed will not allow a sheet of plywood to lay in the bed with out the tire wells getting in the way.
3. uncomfortable / non electric adjust seats

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
If you're looking for a capable lightweight play-truck then ask yourself ...

Do you want an off-road type buggy? Then go Tacoma.
But if you want a more capable family type truck then go RidgeLine.

Serious off road and/or towing usage would require a totally different vehicle.

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
538 Posts
I would say yes its much better. Had a firm Ride. It has a few perks I like that include on the off road edition, more ground clearance among a few other thing. I will still considerthe Tacoma if Honda is not superior.
1. not trunk in bed
2. bed will not allow a sheet of plywood to lay in the bed with out the tire wells getting in the way.
Good to know. Other than the seating position, the only other annoyance i'd ever had with the previous generations of 4Runners and Tacomas was that stupid soft, wallowing ride. Always seemed like you'd hit a bump on the freeway and a mile later, the truck was still recovering. I'm keeping my 07 RL until it dies...but I'm very curious to see what Honda does with the 2nd gen.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had a Ridgeline since 2007.
I have been very pleased with its 4X4 abilities.
From sandy beaches to rocky steep inclines to mud and creek bottoms.
For a truck to be used in town and then off road on weekends, The Ridgeline has exceeded my expectations. Hopefully they will market this.

·
Registered
726 Posts

Is the April 2016 estimation realistic?
FYI you don't have a Ridgeline EX-L (stated in your profile on the left). I'm guessing you own other Hondas. EX-L is the top trim model used by Honda on their other passenger vehicles. The top trim for the Ridgeline is the RTL.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
...The top trim for the Ridgeline is the RTL.
Once the Gen2 arrives, the new top trim will be the RXL (Ridgeline Extra Luxury). It will have the 10AT from an intro batch made in Japan, and because it is a push button AT, it also gets a slightly modified version of the MDX's console with armrest. Oh sorry, I dozed off and must've dreamed that up...jeez, I'm spending too much time on this forum!

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
Once the Gen2 arrives, the new top trim will be the RXL (Ridgeline Extra Luxury). It will have the 10AT from an intro batch made in Japan, and because it is a push button AT, it also gets a slightly modified version of the MDX's console with armrest. Oh sorry, I dozed off and must've dreamed that up...jeez, I'm spending too much time on this forum!
You'd are thinking of the Acura RXL...

·
Registered
93 Posts
1. not trunk in bed
I was keen on the '16 Tacoma until I saw it in person and was underwhelmed. I wanted the top of the line Limited trim, for $40K you'd think the driver's seat would have power adjustments... and to add to the above list:

With the push button start / proximity fob, if you touch the passenger door handle, it doesn't unlock, it only unlocks if you touch the driver's door handle. The power locks don't lock or unlock the tailgate. You have to use a separate key for that.. The fuel filler door doesn't lock. Rear drum brakes, still.

I'm sure Toyota will sell every one they make, but it's not really an all new truck, they just gave it an updated cabin and look. The engine is used in a Lexus RX350 but has been reworked, and the transmission is a new 6 speed.

I find the backseat of the current generation Ridgeline much roomier than the Tacoma's.

For my intended use, I will never go off roading with my truck, and I prefer the refined ride of 4 wheel independent suspension to that of a solid axle and leaf springs. And if the new Pilot is any indication, the new Ridgeline will have a very nice cabin. Good luck with your choice..

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I have the C&D Taco v. Colorado in my bathroom, so have read about 15x and C&D pretty much trashes the Taco. To add to their complaints, the new Tacoma IMHO is downright ugly. I liked my father's old Tacoma, but was nearly 20 years younger when he got that and could tolerate 30 minutes sitting in that amusement park ride seating.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,586 Posts
The Taco is a sales success so Toyota doesn't want to do more than evolutionary changes to it.

That said I have always hated the look of the Tacoma. Too rounded and now the front end is trying way too hard to look angry. It looks cartoonish to me.

On the other hand, I really think that Toyota has found a good combination of modern and tough truck looks with the Tundra. Too bad the truck itself is not really up to the level of its competition. Scaling down the Tundra looks for the Tacoma would seem the obvious choice to me but Toyota must be worried about messing with success. . . .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts