Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Administrator
14,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're still a few weeks away from knowing January 2019 sales, but if the number of new members on here that recently bought RTL-E's is any indication, it might be a strong month. I've seen a half-dozen just this week.
Despite the largest inventory and lowest prices yet, Honda sold only 1,962 US Ridgelines in January 2019 - the lowest month ever for the second generation.

https://hondanews.com/releases/american-honda-reports-sales-increases-for-both-honda-and-acura-brands-despite-winter-chill

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,288 Posts
Despite the largest inventory and lowest prices yet, Honda sold only 1,962 US Ridgelines in January 2019 - the lowest month ever for the second generation.

https://hondanews.com/releases/american-honda-reports-sales-increases-for-both-honda-and-acura-brands-despite-winter-chill
Roger, can you help me find a source I can use that states something similar to "Despite the largest inventory and lowest prices yet..."?

EDIT: Never mind, I took a different approach.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
In my opinion, American Honda is being too conservative right now, especially with all the competition that's out there producing the same type and class of vehicles they are. Honda has always been a conservative company, but it has gone to an extreme and it's starting to hurt sales. As any company would, their marketing people try to make excuses, but...

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I posted on the Accord forum with a link, but apparently Honda was giving incentives on the CRV, cutting into profits. There was also a flood with a plant in Mexico. IMO, this is all about the fuel dilution issue and they wanted to make good sales numbers. Also , IMO they knew about this all along and that's played into the Accord leases not being subsidized earlier in the year. Let's be honest, Honda is all about CRVs, Accords and Civics of which the sedans will not have sales growth anymore regardless of how good they are. There are too many questions surrounding the CRV now and the product mix isn't ideal. They have nothing else in the brand to make up for the sedan decline Passport or not. That may all be fine with Honda though. Pilot doesn't review well and the sharing of interiors with the Passport, Odyssey and RL starts to feel dated despite the refreshes. Live and die by platform sharing. Look at the brand new Ford Ranger, that dash looks so dated. Then there are the surveys with Honda nowhere near the top. Buyers have changed too. I think they are less loyal and monthly payment driven.
There's little to get excited about in the car world right now that's attainable so it's easier to run your current ride into the ground.
Pilot sales were down probably because with the 2019's out they weren't dealing anymore. As for the RL, it's still within projections but a little disappointing that sales weren't higher with the inventory that people can see and touch. Finally, the December stock market plunge way have spooked some buyers.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Honda is a conservative company, but it is their conservative cars that earn their profits. We all love and fondly remember their great cars, like S2000, Prelude, NSX, Element, etc., but almost nobody buys them, relatively speaking.

However, it is a new direction that the v ed hicle market seems to be heading in, and it will be interesting to see if Honda follows suit, or tries to blaze their own trail.

There was an article on Jalopnik the other day about how Honda had a pretty bad last quarter, but they still made billions for the year.

There were also a number of articles out last month predicting that the next auto recession was near. That, coupled with huge stock market losses in December, and the Polar Vortex curbing sales last week, it will be interesting to see sales across all makes. With that being said, Ford has joined GM in going to quarterly sales reports. The reasoning is that the market may respond better if consumers see less volatility month-to-month, as well as shareholders...

·
Administrator
14,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With that being said, Ford has joined GM in going to quarterly sales reports. The reasoning is that the market may respond better if consumers see less volatility month-to-month, as well as shareholders...
I'm surprised that automakers share such details at all.

·
Registered
145 Posts
...With that being said, Ford has joined GM in going to quarterly sales reports. The reasoning is that the market may respond better if consumers see less volatility month-to-month, as well as shareholders...
Volatility cuts both ways, so that's an odd reason unless they are predicting a long stretch of mostly downward volatility. I tend to doubt the vast majority of consumers look at monthly sales reports and/or make decisions based on those. So, they must have had some other, self-interested reason for the change, but their PR department came up with these to avoid giving the self-interested reason (possibly having more to do with their de-emphasis on sedans, which itself will create some volatility in their overall numbers for a couple model years)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since Honda replaces model years on Ridgeline in March or April, I would not buy one in Dec again or January, why get stuck with an "old" model that kills resale. The only reason to buy in Dec is if you buy a RTL-E it is over the 6000 lb GVW so you can take advantage of tax benefits if you use it for business.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
The most new G2 RLs that I've seen at my local dealer (town population = 60K) had been four, which only lasted for a couple weeks. Typically, this dealer has two or three new RLs on the lot, but now there are seven! I have never seen this much color and trim selection before. So, like many of you, I'm thinking Honda ramped up RL production to boost dealer inventory before HMA focused on turning out new Passports.

It's gonna be interesting to see how long these RLs hang around the lot. It seems like we should be seeing more Ridgeline ads to help dealers move the trucks. This would be a good time for prospective buyers to negotiate a deal, but is there enough demand for the RL? Could the ultimate fate of the G2 be playing out now across the country?

·
Administrator
14,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The most new G2 RLs that I've seen at my local dealer (town population = 60K) had been four, which only lasted for a couple weeks. Typically, this dealer has two or three new RLs on the lot, but now there are seven! I have never seen this much color and trim selection before. So, like many of you, I'm thinking Honda ramped up RL production to boost dealer inventory before HMA focused on turning out new Passports.

It's gonna be interesting to see how long these RLs hang around the lot. It seems like we should be seeing more Ridgeline ads to help dealers move the trucks. This would be a good time for prospective buyers to negotiate a deal, but is there enough demand for the RL? Could the ultimate fate of the G2 be playing out now across the country?
Another member mentioned that they felt we'd seen the last of the 2019 production already and I tend to agree.

I don't personally feel that much, if any, advertising will be done in case current Ridgeline inventory needs to last for 3-4 months before production resumes - assuming it does resume.

Unless Passport sales are off the chart and the Odyssey and Pilot hold up forcing Honda to cut Ridgeline production altogether, I don't see the Ridgeline disappearing just yet. Don't forget that the G1 soldiered on for almost six years at sales of less than half of what sales currently are.

The Clarity, Insight, ILX, TLX, RLX, and NSX all sell at much lower volumes than the Ridgeline, yet they continue to exist. Honda doesn't seem bothered by low-volume models.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Since Honda replaces model years on Ridgeline in March or April, I would not buy one in Dec again or January, why get stuck with an "old" model that kills resale. The only reason to buy in Dec is if you buy a RTL-E it is over the 6000 lb GVW so you can take advantage of tax benefits if you use it for business.

I got "stuck" with a 2018 model purchased in January. Why almost 6k off new list price. To me that's worth it, as when the new model appears list price it will be.

·
Super Moderator
5,058 Posts
Honda must have cut down on the Deep Scarlet Pearl production. Only (1) at my dealer and they have (40) Ridgeline's on their lot. (0) Deep Scarlet Pearl Ridgeline's at that giant Honda dealer in Minneapolis, but they now only have (26) Ridgeline's.

·
Administrator
14,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
February 2019 was another slow month for US Ridgeline sales and this time it can't be blamed on inventory constraints due to Passport production because dealer inventory remains the highest it's been.

Inventory levels are high and discounts of thousands off MSRP are common, yet Ridgeline sales continue to slowly sink. It appears the initial inrush of buyers looking for a G2 was over some time ago and sales have leveled out at around 35,000 per year.

I received an email advertisement for the Ridgeline earlier this week for the first time ever. I have a feeling Honda is sitting on a pile of Ridgelines and starting to get a little antsy.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I'm waiting on the 2020. Depending on transmission offerings in the 2020, i will either pay near MSRP for the 2020, or pick up a 2019 E-type for $5k below MSRP.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
February 2019 was another slow month for US Ridgeline sales and this time it can't be blamed on inventory constraints due to Passport production because dealer inventory remains the highest it's been.

Inventory levels are high and discounts of thousands off MSRP are common, yet Ridgeline sales continue to slowly sink. It appears the initial inrush of buyers looking for a G2 was over some time ago and sales have leveled out at around 35,000 per year.

I received an email advertisement for the Ridgeline earlier this week for the first time ever. I have a feeling Honda is sitting on a pile of Ridgelines and starting to get a little antsy.
I received two snail-mail flyers advertising Honda vehicles, but no Ridgeline.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Our dealer here in the PNW was willing to deal in February because the snowstorm killed two weekends for car buying. They just wanted the thing to leave the lot.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
February 2019 was another slow month for US Ridgeline sales and this time it can't be blamed on inventory constraints due to Passport production because dealer inventory remains the highest it's been. ...
At least US sales are up a little from last month (Jan=1,962, Feb=2,186). :wink:

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
...Inventory levels are high and discounts of thousands off MSRP are common, yet Ridgeline sales continue to slowly sink. It appears the initial inrush of buyers looking for a G2 was over some time ago and sales have leveled out at around 35,000 per year...
Seems like Honda has four choices (or combination thereof):
1. Accept a niche sale level of 35K/yr and keep building RLs as a production line "filler".
2. Tweak styling or features in an attempt to broaden the G2's appeal.
3. Increase advertising.
4. Throw in the towel on the G2. Either walk away from the pickup market or take the G3 in a new direction.

What happens with MY2020 may reveal more about Honda's plan for the future of the RL.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Passport sales came in around 1900 for the month. I believe it went on sale Feb 9 so if you do the math and annualize the actuals that's somewhere around 36k per year. I wonder how many of those sales were taken away from the Pilot. I think there will be room for future RL's. It's still early for the Passport but everything I read says something bad about the 9 speed if it's mentioned. I now think that the 6 speed will be a choice for the RL as it is in the Pilot. Passport is marketed as more premium although you can't get carplay on a base model. YTD HMA is down so far so maybe capacity isn't an issue.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts