Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
14,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda sold 3,083 Ridgelines in the US last month which is the best January ever for the second generation model. The Ridgeline hasn't sold that well since 2007.

The Fit, HR-V, and Ridgeline are up over last year. The Accord, Civic, Odyssey, and Pilot are down. A new fourth-generation Fit was announced last year, but the US continues with the third-generation for 2020 - it's sixth model year here. The modestly-powered HR-V is now on its fifth model year.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Honda sold 3,083 Ridgelines in the US last month which is the best January ever for the second generation model. The Ridgeline hasn't sold that well since 2007.

The Fit, HR-V, and Ridgeline are up over last year. The Accord, Civic, Odyssey, and Pilot are down. A new fourth-generation Fit was announced last year, but the US continues with the third-generation for 2020 - it's sixth model year here. The modestly-powered HR-V is now on its fifth model year.
I was one of the first of the 3,083. I purchased mine on Jan. 2nd. Glad to hear sales are up.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I wonder how Honda feels about the RL sales results given the low APR and discounts. My local dealer still has an an assortment of leftover Sports and RTL's in the teens and about 8 2020E's. Pilot is a problem, will be interesting to see if they deal or cut production until the next gen.

Also, the RDX and Accord (arguably the best engineered products that Honda sells) continue to fall probably for different reasons.

·
Administrator
14,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder how Honda feels about the RL sales results given the low APR and discounts. My local dealer still has an an assortment of leftover Sports and RTL's in the teens and about 8 2020E's. Pilot is a problem, will be interesting to see if they deal or cut production until the next gen.
The Pilot is quickly getting outclassed. The Telluride and Palisade are on fire. Buyers are paying near and in some cases over MSRP. Last week, Kia announced a production increase to 100,000 units annually for the Telluride to meet demand and that's not including sales of the sister Palisade which blew past Hyundai's sales expectations last year.

Mazda is nipping at the heels of Acura and with a better reliability record.

·
Registered
164 Posts

I hope that means they will be willing to deal on Pilots in May when we need to replace my wife’s leased Accord, as that it is what she wants.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
The auto market is very dynamic and the sands are shifting for all players. American appetites for SUVs and trucks is unrelenting, but I think innovation in electrification and fuel efficiency will be rewarded. Among the many challenges for Honda, I can see two that that are critical: reclaiming Honda's reputation for reliability and keeping up with the competition by dialing in to what US buyers find most appealing about new SUVs and trucks. Despite its award-winning versatility and performance, I don't think the RL has garnered the market share it deserves because of a few styling quirks and limitations that torpedo its appeal to the majority of US pickup buyers.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The RL is competing in a highly competitive market where emotion and sexual ardor make up 60 - 70% of the decision to purchase one over the other. It is marketing 101... what am I leaving on the table choosing brand X vs brand Y? Will I be less of or more of a man or woman choosing one or the other?

It boils down to being honest with yourself. If you don’t own a boat or trailer, don’t need the ability to off-road or do any related activities, why buy something you might use to it’s capabilities 5% or less of the time.

Is the RL the perfect vehicle for everyone? No... and neither is the F-150, Ram or one of the GM twins.

Define your needs and go find a vehicle that meets them.

·
Registered
2007 RTL Steel Blue
424 Posts
The RL is competing in a highly competitive market where emotion and sexual ardor make up 60 - 70% of the decision to purchase one over the other. It is marketing 101... what am I leaving on the table choosing brand X vs brand Y? Will I be less of or more of a man or woman choosing one or the other?

It boils down to being honest with yourself. If you don’t own a boat or trailer, don’t need the ability to off-road or do any related activities, why buy something you might use to it’s capabilities 5% or less of the time.

Is the RL the perfect vehicle for everyone? No... and neither is the F-150, Ram or one of the GM twins.

Define your needs and go find a vehicle that meets them.
Imagine if the RL appealed to that 60-70%. Honda would be ramping-up production just like Hyundai is, and the bean-counters would be laughing all the way to the bank with their bonuses.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,288 Posts
@McChizzle , do we have a reliability graph on these trucks? Maybe issues over the course of the years would be nice as well.
That would be good to look at. Go for it!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Looks count for something too and some folks just cant get past it. For example, I love my 14 Accord but the new one is better in every way. Would I buy one? Never, too ugly. The same could apply for someone considering a RL,

·
Super Moderator
5,061 Posts
It will be interesting to see how Ridgeline sales stack up for the month of February. Dealers barely have any 2020's on their lots and of those, they all seem to be the RTL-E trim. There are still plenty of 2019 Sport trim Ridgeline's waiting for a buyer.

·
Administrator
14,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
3,210 Ridgelines were sold last month in the US. That's up 46.8% over last year and up 51.7% for the first two months of the year.

Monthly sales have been above 3,000 units for four consecutive months now. Including Canada sales, that's about 44,000 units per year - the highest since the second generation Ridgeline's first year.

For other models, the once-mighty Accord continues to fall. The aging Civic and HR-V are doing well and the CR-V is steady. The Pilot is down, but the Passport appears to make up for it. Acura is fairly flat.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
348 Posts
My 2 cents for what it’s worth.

I really don’t think Honda ever wants to sell a lot of Ridgelines. They don’t market them, the dealers in NJ never have more than a couple of them on the lot, if any, and are hardly on display. Now go to any other dealer like Ford, and you will see F150s for as far as you can see. Trucks are everywhere, and from my own experience, you would have to seek out the Ridgeline and do your homework if you are interested.

No commercials, the dealers don’t promote them and so Mr. Homeowner, who likes having a truck, which I see every day going to work, buys the Taco, the GM or the Ford. I bet dollars to donuts they don’t have a clue about the Ridgeline. The market for the Ridgeline isn’t really the truck enthusiast, it’s the commuter’s truck that just works. When people hear about all the features it has to offer, they are impressed, but what that really means is, that they had no idea, and that is marketing.

I have to assume, unlike the American truck market where trucks are the cash cow of the industry, Honda’s profit margin on the Ridgeline is nowhere near that of an Accord, Civic or CRV.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
...I have to assume, unlike the American truck market where trucks are the cash cow of the industry, Honda’s profit margin on the Ridgeline is nowhere near that of an Accord, Civic or CRV.
Maybe so, but does Honda think it can offset declining sedan sales with increased SUV sales alone? Their indifference toward the RL essentially means they are chosing to ignore that "cash cow" market for pickups. IMO, Honda had a chance to spark more interest in the RL with the 2020 refresh but they flubbed it. Maybe other issues like the quality crisis are higher priority.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Honda is not really interested in trucks and consumers aren't interested in the Ridgeline (RL is a niche platform sharer) The platform determines its future. . It has the best Sedan in a large but declining market. It has no interest in electrics. while positioning for a future in Hybrids. If I was going to buy a Hybrid, I'd go Toyota, they've been doing it well for so long now. Honda's quality is gone now. Some say the other manufacturers are even worse. I'd say the others are living to expectations while Honda is not. Clearly Honda has to build some better, more reliable products. Toyota and Lexus are continually on the charts for the most reliable longest lasting cars with zero from Honda. Honda has a lot more to worry about than a Ridgeline that sells 36k per year. Styling costs zero and Honda could fix this for some of its platforms. I also think that leaving the good stuff for Acura is a mistake. Think of Acura as a Touring and Honda as an LX. For example, the real SH-AWD is for Acura, Honda doesn't have the aggressive software. Do we really need Acura? Do we really need a Civic and Accord?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts