Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
18,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2,616 Ridgelines sold in the US in January 2021. Not as good as January 2020, but still one of the better Januarys. I suspect sales would have been higher if not for the near void of RTL-E and Black Edition inventory and the announcement of the 2021 model.

I'm surprised how well the Pilot continues to sell considering the current generation is near the end of its life. The poor sedans continue to take a beating. It won't be long until the CR-V alone outsells the Accord and Civic combined.

·
Administrator
18,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
3,873 Ridgelines sold in the US in February 2021. That's the highest since December 2016.

The Ridgeline is up more than any other Honda model over last February.

The Accord and Civic continue to swirl the drain. I think one more generation and they're done.

Acura buyers like the new MDX, but every other model is a sales disappointment.

·
Super Moderator
6,076 Posts
I am a little surprised that the Pilot is holding its own, since it is in sore need of an update or even a facelift.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Yikes, only the Alabama built stuff is positive Year To Date. Accord and Civic my gosh, can't be about the product.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
4,907 Posts
Yikes, only the Alabama built stuff is positive Year To Date. Accord and Civic my gosh, can't be about the product.
It's backwards. This doesn't bode well if some thumbsucker at Honda decides that quality doesn't sell. Hopefully they see the bigger picture and realize that SUVs and trucks are the fad for now, regardless of quality.

I wonder at what point Honda would pull the plug on Accord/Civic? There will always be a market for sedans, albeit the size of said market may be too small, like for manual transmissions. If we lose the Accord/Civic/Corolla/Camry, it will indeed be a sad day.

If Honda did drop the Accord, they'd likely move the Pilot or Odyssey to Ohio, with no benefit to the Ridgeline. HmA just needs to get their act together. If we keep pushing for warranty repairs on quality control items, maybe that will be incentive enough for Honda Corporate to put the hammer down on HmA.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I don't expect a sale or merger in the immediate future, but relationships are forming and electrification will change the business layout in the next decade.

As far as sedans go, I've been unimpressed with Honda's sedan design direction for the last few years. In addition to consumer trend, I think the current designs are not helping sales.

·
Administrator
18,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's backwards. This doesn't bode well if some thumbsucker at Honda decides that quality doesn't sell. Hopefully they see the bigger picture and realize that SUVs and trucks are the fad for now, regardless of quality.
Crazy, ain't it? The Alabama built models are Honda's least reliable. If you look at reliability surveys, it seems there is no meaningful relationship between sales and quality suggesting that actual quality simply isn't all that important to most buyers.

I wonder at what point Honda would pull the plug on Accord/Civic? There will always be a market for sedans, albeit the size of said market may be too small, like for manual transmissions. If we lose the Accord/Civic/Corolla/Camry, it will indeed be a sad day.
We already know there's at least one more generation of Civic coming, but I'm becoming less confident about an 11th generation Accord with each monthly sales report

·
Registered
340 Posts
One would think the dealers would be pretty aggressive on discounting the civic and accord to move them, unless Honda is paying them to sit around?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Looks like the new TLX is a bust. There a 24 in inventory at my local dealer so doesn’t appear availability is the issue.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
4,907 Posts
Looks like the new TLX is a bust. There a 24 in inventory at my local dealer so doesn’t appear availability is the issue.
In Motorweek's Drivers Choice awards episode (2/12/21), the TLX was their pick for best sports sedan, and Ridgeline was their pick for best mid-size pickup.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
RDX had most of the Honda commentary on the sales figures highlights for many months now it looks like the excitement is over. I have yet to see a TLX on the road. To me Acura is still irrelevant, they just build halo cars. Does the average Acura buyer care more about double wishbone or the badge? My sister has an MDX, which is just meh, they won't be getting another Acura. When I was getting gas the other day, a guy mentions to the woman pumping gas behind him that her Lexus SUV was beautiful. First thing she says is "thanks, it has over 200k on it." That says a lot right there.

·
Registered
387 Posts
In Motorweek's Drivers Choice awards episode (2/12/21), the TLX was their pick for best sports sedan, and Ridgeline was their pick for best mid-size pickup.
So even great press did not inspire sales. SUVs are just too good these days for sedans to compete. Why buy a sedan when you can get a SUV that handles as well as a sedan for 90% of day-to-day driving needs? If gas prices go above $5/gal, sedans will make a roaring comeback.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,490 Posts
3,873 Ridgelines sold in the US in February 2021. That's the highest since December 2016.

The Ridgeline is up more than any other Honda model over last February.

The Accord and Civic continue to swirl the drain. I think one more generation and they're done....
Which nameplate gets killed first, I'm thinking Accord, but who knows
....We already know there's at least one more generation of Civic coming, but I'm becoming less confident about an 11th generation Accord with each monthly sales report
Now I see you answered this already

Reactions: zroger73

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
4,907 Posts
Meanwhile, Honda moves ahead full-force with their sedans in the JDM:

If we do lose the Accord, perhaps we can take solace that Honda will be building something similar in Japan. Heck, this might even be a way that we can get Japanese-built Hondas in the U.S. once again... maybe something good will come of this!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Meanwhile, Honda moves ahead full-force with their sedans in the JDM:

If we do lose the Accord, perhaps we can take solace that Honda will be building something similar in Japan. Heck, this might even be a way that we can get Japanese-built Hondas in the U.S. once again... maybe something good will come of this!
Very cool, it seems like they could improve their current system even though it's not automated but assist. Surprised LSF wasn't on the 2021 even though I get competition probably doesn't have it but I mean were talking a RL where Honda is charting it's own path offering a unique truck that is more road friendly than typical trucks.

·
Administrator
18,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And they're continuing to try hard to defend the Ridgeline and get at least a few "real truck" buyers to think outside the box[ed frame].

·
Super Moderator
6,076 Posts
I am truly expecting Honda Ridgeline sales to break through the 4K unit mark this month.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts