Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I recently went to the dealership for the Air bag recall, and they reminded me that my 2006 Ridgeline needed the timing belt replaced even though it has only 62,000 miles! So I looked at the Maintenance schedule and it does say 105,000 miles or 84 months. I'm choosing to ignore the 84 months criteria unless someone can give me a reasonable explanation, other that the dealership needs to enhance its revenues! Any thoughts?
Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
Any thoughts?

I'm in a similar situation, with less than 50k mi on a 2006, which has been perfect in all other regards to date.
And since retirement, my usage has dropped to 'occasional' at best (but still my favorite ride).
The local dealer service mgr said this (lack of) use should be considered hard duty and kick off an accelerated maintenance schedule, with things like the TB to be done this year.
I'd like to wait another year, but would appreciate the groups input on relative risks (= Probability x Impact). Worst case impact appears to be 6x or more the TB replacement cost.
THoughts on probability of the thing failing in the next year of very light use?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Hi Guys,
I recently went to the dealership for the Air bag recall, and they reminded me that my 2006 Ridgeline needed the timing belt replaced even though it has only 62,000 miles! So I looked at the Maintenance schedule and it does say 105,000 miles or 84 months. I'm choosing to ignore the 84 months criteria unless someone can give me a reasonable explanation, other that the dealership needs to enhance its revenues! Any thoughts?
Steve
This topic has been discussed, and there are varying opinions... I'd say 10 years should be a good interval if you haven't seen extreme temps on a regular basis. Others might say different. I think you'll find at 10 years the belt will still "look" great.... but there IS NO definitive time period after which you can expect the belt to fail, so it's really a matter of preference, understanding the risk is low but consequences high, regarding TB breaking. Many have exceeded the 105K miles point by a LOT (I would not suggest this), and others with low mileage are still sporting the original belt on their 2006 (does not surprise me at all). And then, of course there are those few (very few) who have had TB breaks before either mileage or years would indicate they should have...... you make the call.
If I had a low mileage RL, I'd change at 10 years, knowing that I probably could have gone another few years w/o issue.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sounds fair to me. I replaced my timing belt last month with over 120k on the clock and likely over 84 months (not sure when my 07 rolled off the assembly line.)

I say you should do it at 105 months. 1k miles per month. :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had mine done at 52K and 7.5 years. I know, too soon. The old parts looked great. If I keep mine, I will probably wait until 10 years.

Of course my 8 year old granddaughter insists that she is getting the truck when she gets her permit in seven years. At that point the truck will still have less than 100K. If she does take the truck, I will insist on a backup camera. I have almost creamed several cars backing out of parking spots.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts