Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I’m sure there are old threads out there that this might have been added to, but I’m lazy.

I’ve been wanting to add additional lighting for the reverse. Some folks have cut lights into the bumper cover, others have added a light strip to the tailgate. Rather than cast light from a higher point to a low point, I wanted to light from a low level outward. So, I bought this: https://m.ebay.com/itm/Trailer-Tow-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It bolts on to the hitch (I can take it off if I choose). I used blade connectors and spliced a wire with a female blade connector to the yellow (reverse) feed on the hitch. I added the male connector to the red wire of the light. Followed the same process connecting the white (ground) hitch wire to the black wire for the new light.

I’ll play with the adjustment a bit, but overall I think I like it. I have LED reverse bulbs in the truck and these new lights are only 18 Watts each (should say up to 18w each) so the draw isn’t bad. Stock reverse bulbs were 25w each so I’m less than that. (Not that that matters much since the hitch is a different. circuit. I only mention this as I think it would be ok to add this setup even if your hitch wasn’t OEM.

Here’s some pics. It’s obviously dark outside but I think between the pics on the eBay ad and these, you’ll get the idea. Whole thing only cost me $34 so I consider it a win.

This pics are: 1) an attempt to show what they look like when not on. 2) a side shot. 3) a shot from the rear 4) a shot of my backup cam monitor.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looks very good for back up lights. Northern Tool have them too. Very bright LEDs and little draw. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200648983_200648983 I had thought of doing the same as you. Thank you for the write up to what wire to splice into. My 2017 RTL-T FWD. did not have the wiring harness. I bought the harness and installed it and all the components myself. If any member here decides to add the hitch wiring yourself. Get help. Removing the rear seat without a scratch to the paint is next to impossible. That rear seat is heavy for one person. You have to add two circuit breakers and the control unit for the electric brake. May want to use that option The two brass threaded grommets require you to get a grade 5 or 8 bolt, nut and washer to expand the grommet into the rear bumper. That mounts the 7 pin wiring harness.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The nice thing over the Northern Tool option is the one on eBay has a bracket to mount the lights to. The bracket makes this a quick, no holes drilled option.

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,615 Posts
The nice thing over the Northern Tool option is the one on eBay has a bracket to mount the lights to. The bracket makes this a quick, no holes drilled option.
Yep, now if it wasn't sold out. :frown:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fortunately, there are lots of options out there. You can find the bracket alone for around $15. The bracket with a pair of 4 LED lights for $16-$25. I went with the one I did to get 6 LEDs per light (a little brighter).

The guy I linked to has been selling LEDs for a long time, if they’re out, I’m sure it will be back in stock soon.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts