1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed the J-Sport Basic package:
  • 1.5 leveling kit
  • 18 inch Nitto Grappler AT tires.
Expecting to loose miles per gallon with the upgrades. Had Metro Honda install all components and do all the calibration to match speed with the odometer and actual speed bc once you change tires or do any upgrades I was told that the speed would change. So everything that could be done on my Ridgeline was done. I reset my mileage each time I fill up.
Now the question to this thread is that I’ve noticed my MPG has been increasing these past two weeks. It started from 18.9 (install) to now 20.3 today. I’ve gained an additional 1.4 miles to the gallon. It seems I’m defying the laws of physics here. I don’t understand how this is happening and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I have a 2019 Ridgeline Sport Edition AWD.

87 unleaded fuel each time I fill up

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m going by my computer mileage. Haven’t done the hand calculated yet. I just filled up my tank to do just that to make the comparisons. I just can’t see how my computer mileage would go up with increased drag and bigger tires?

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Had Metro Honda install all components and do all the calibration to match speed with the odometer and actual speed bc once you change tires or do any upgrades I was told that the speed would change.
Am I understanding you correctly that Metro Honda recalibrated your speedometer and odometer to correct for increased tire size?

·
Registered
99 Posts
You might want to plan out a route of highway only driving about 60-100 miles or so in a loop and test methodically. Fill up at a particular pump next to the highway. Get on and drive out 50 miles, turn around and come back to the same pump and fill up the same way again. Then calculate. That should give you the correct number. Just make sure the miles is either by mile marker or google or NAV or something other than odometer reading.

You could also just get on the highway and drive a set speed with cruise control on and then check a gps app on your phone and see if they match. Might not give you quite as much info, but would at least tell you your speedometer is correct or not.

But in any case, I was getting well over 27mpg highway computer miles on mine with the stock tire setup. If I put new tires on mine and went down to 20 I'd think, man those tires sure did a number on my mpg! :)

I don't think you can really trust the computer much for accuracy. Maybe relative numbers, but since yours was recalibrated you can't even trust it for relative numbers between old and new tires. Too many variable changes.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Yours would be the first instance where the computer was "recalibrated" for a tire size change. Please confirm as the word previously has been that it is not something that the dealer can do.

You have almost no real before or after data yet. I can promise you that your lift kit and higher rolling resistance tires (they are probably heavier too) are hurting rather than helping your mileage.

You also need to forget about the trip computer and do some actual MPG calculations if you want to know your current MPG. Tracking over a significant amount of time will make the numbers valuable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah... That’s what Metro Honda said they did. My friend who recommended the Ridgeline sent me a video about recalibrate great the actual speed to the odometer. So I asked Metro Honda if they calibrated everything and they said they did.

They said they took it out for a ride and checked the computer and everything mechanical on it.
On a side note...RL friend told me that I should report my upgrades to my insurance to let them know I’ve made modifications to my truck. A small leveling height and change of tires I wouldn’t think so?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I will be trying what Kevo said. I’ll update this post after the weekend

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm pretty sure if they told you they calibrated the speedometer for the larger tire size, their answer was either based in misunderstanding or a straight up lie.

Perhaps they meant they recalibrated the driver assist functions after the front lift?

To my, and the forums collective knowledge, there is no possible way to adjust the speedometer for a change in tire size.

Is there a chance you can confirm this with the dealer? If they know of some magical way to do this, it would be of great benefit to this community.

Also, your truck looks awesome after the mods!

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
On a side note...RL friend told me that I should report my upgrades to my insurance to let them know I’ve made modifications to my truck. A small leveling height and change of tires I wouldn’t think so?
Traditionally that is to cover accessories that were not on the list of items on the vehicle, when the policy was written. If one had $4000 worth of wheels and tires, and come to find their truck on cinder blocks, reporting it to the insurance may get you no where, but OEM replacements. If items get tacked on to your vehicle and you report it to your carrier, then your policy coverage will increase and thus the premium.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Been thinking more about this . . . regardless of your calculated accuracy, if your computer is showing an increase in mileage, you could be amazing lucky and actually be getting better mileage for some unknown aerodynamic reason, but I'll bet it might just be the variation in your driving pattern on the ones you've compared. My driving that has more "city" driving vs. "highway" driving can show several mpg difference easily. This came to mind because my last tank had dropped mileage so much that I was wondering what I really did that was different, or was something wrong. Next tank . . . all back to normal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts