Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

521 - 540 of 554 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
9,913 Posts
Well, I must've jinxed it. We were replacing the timing belt over the weekend and the cotter pin came out of the crank when we fired it up. Bent a couple of valves. Removing the heads now and sending them off to the machine shop to be resurfaced and get the valves all back in working order.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/7-1g-under-hood-performance/172610-think-we-bent-valve-while-doing-timing-belt.html#post2523506
That's a straight kick in the pants. Such huge issues are caused by the smallest things. Hope you get it all taken care of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got my 06 a couple months ago I'm just under 200,000.
I worked for Honda for a few years, we had a regular with an 2006 with 600,000 on the original motor. That truck was one of the reasons why I chose the Ridgeline. She's the nicest vehicle I've ever owned. I still have some fighting to do with her. Millage is crap right now, 11-12 mpg, but both the front cats are clogged. I'm leaning t words the cat delete, no epa test in GA.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Just got my 06 a couple months ago I'm just under 200,000.
I worked for Honda for a few years, we had a regular with an 2006 with 600,000 on the original motor. That truck was one of the reasons why I chose the Ridgeline. She's the nicest vehicle I've ever owned. I still have some fighting to do with her. Millage is crap right now, 11-12 mpg, but both the front cats are clogged. I'm leaning t words the cat delete, no epa test in GA.
55,000 miles, on average, per year. Wow. I can't even fathom that. That's 150 miles per day every single day of the year for 11 years and filling the tank at least once every three days. Nonetheless, welcome to RL ownership. These trucks are extremely easy to work on and very straight forward machines. 11-12mpg of normal driving isn't normal in any aspect of thinking. I know you probably have already done this, but start with the basics. Change all of the fluids (oil, trans, rear diff, front transfer case, brakes, coolant and power steering), engine air filter, spark plugs and O2 sensors. Having faulty cats is likely the root of the problem, but the other things can't hurt. Run through the brakes to ensure the caliper pins are well lubed and sliding freely and that you don't have any pads hanging up on the rotors. That can be a big cause of bad mileage. If you aren't sure if the timing belt has ever been done, it's WAY past due. Even if it was done at the recommended 105k miles, you're coming up on another change interval at 210k miles. After doing all of that, I'd suggest doing an idle learn procedure (ILP) so that the truck can "reset" itself and begin to learn your driving styles with all of the new parts. With the age and mileage of your truck, some efficiency is expected to be lost, but there's still quite a lot of life left in it.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Mine will arrive at the "moon" within the next 2 weeks. Now all I have to do is turn her around and head back to earth. (Hopefully, she won't burn up on reentry which should be around 430,000 miles).

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,882 Posts
Mine will arrive at the "moon" within the next 2 weeks. Now all I have to do is turn her around and head back to earth. (Hopefully, she won't burn up on reentry which should be around 430,000 miles).
So, you're just now getting it broken in? ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
IanRTL thanks for the heads up.

So far She's gotten a fuel system cleaning, new plugs, trans & dif drain and fill, two new tires, new ballasts for the lights led pod light, and built a custom spars for my roof rack.
My buddies still work at the dealership so I was able to pull the records on the truck. Some minor oil leaks but all the big stuff was taken care of about 15k ago.

I'v never had a truck this nice so I'm likely to buy spair motors for down the road. My last trucks were a 94 ranger with 315,000 miles on the motor and a 89 Jeep Comanche with 280,000 miles. the only thing I miss is both of those were manuals.

The guy with 600,000 miles was a lock smith and drove all over the state. Had every but of maintenance done at our dealership, his records looked like phone books.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just turned 268,000 on my 2007. Had the timing belt kit replaced at 175k. Original CATS, check engine fires on the CATS. Truck is showing its age, few minor oil leaks that had to be repaired, fighting a power steering leak now. By fare the best vehicle I've ever owned, looking to bye a G2 once kids get out of private school (smdh).

·
Registered
617 Posts
My Ridge just turned 12 years old having picked it up 12 years ago this month and over 232K on the speedo. Great truck with no regerts.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe I may have everyone beat on the mileage. I own a 2008 Honda Ridgeline and my speedometer has just passed 327,000 miles. I drive a lot of highway miles to and from work. The last several years I have experienced heavy traffic backup and this adds to a lot of road time. I have used my Ridgeline to pull my 21'-0 camper during the summer months without any issues. It is a lightweight unit about 3,800 lbs. It has been serviced regularly as recommended by the brain minder. I have had no major issues and the truck runs great. The transmission still shifts nicely with no hesitation or other issues. My truck is fully loaded and everything works as it did when I purchased it in 2008. I love this vehicle and would not hesitate to buy another, but this one just doesn't want to give up. I love it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have 159,000 miles on my 2013 sport Ridgeline, i travel all across the US for work,also have a place up in northern BC canada(i live in MN)so travel up there frequently pulling a 16ft BlackHawk enclosed trailer

·
Super Moderator
22,882 Posts
@chisoxjim should chime back in with a report on his 2006 that he sold with 380,000 miles on it. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2006 Ridgeline has 348000 miles and runs perfectly. Tires last very long time. Replaced starter at 150000 miles as well as timing chain/belt. Replaced headliner this week. Great truck!! Plan to keep driving it until it gives up, but I wonder if it ever will! Change oil and filters every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Congratulations on the reliability of your 2006. We also have a 2006 and absolutely love it. Yes, we've done some maintenance like struts, timing belt/water pump/motor mount, and instrument cluster. Tires, regular oil and filter changes and some other minor items we consider just routine maintenance. We plan to drive ours until it won't move too! Almost at 108,000 miles....hope we continue to have the same reliability we've had over the last 12 years!

·
Super Moderator
22,882 Posts
521 - 540 of 554 Posts