Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I purchased a brand new 2021 Ridgeline . The 3rd one I have owned.
One of the worst mistakes I have ever made.
This collision system makes the truck unsafe to drive. I have had several instances now with going 70 mph down the interstate and it slams on the brakes all by itself with nothing in front of me.
Thank god no one was behind me, but that’s just a matter of time.
Anyone know how to remove the computer control of the brake?
There has to be a valve or actuator that I could mechanically remove to make it safe. I just have the thing parked and refuse to drive it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Mine neither.
The driver assistance features are my favorite thing.
There are sensitivity settings that you can adjust. Check the manual.
The dealer says it’s fine.
It has done it once with the system enabled, and once with it disabled.
The disable button does nothing. Except turn an orange light on in the dash.

·
Premium Member
2020 Black Edition
1 Posts
What did the dealer says is happening? Did you have the cruise control engaged when this happened? was the mitigation system engaged when this happened? you have not given us enough information to answer your question. Mine has never done this. It has slowed down considerably when the cruise mitigation system was activated as it is made to do. If the cruise was activated, was the mitigation on or off? were you going around a curve when this happened while the cruise mitigation was activated? please help us out so we can answer your question hopefully. please read your manual and go to honda.com and look at the video they have there that discusses the outstanding safety features this truck has that others do not have. this is only my opinion on this subject nothing more!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The dealer says it’s fine.
It has done it once with the system enabled, and once with it disabled.
The disable button does nothing. Except turn an orange light on in the dash.
I have a hard time believing that a Honda dealer would say that this scenario is "fine". Ask him to put that in writing and sign it, and then raise your concerns with Honda Corporate.

·
Administrator
18,252 Posts
A few weeks ago I purchased a brand new 2021 Ridgeline . The 3rd one I have owned.
One of the worst mistakes I have ever made.
This collision system makes the truck unsafe to drive. I have had several instances now with going 70 mph down the interstate and it slams on the brakes all by itself with nothing in front of me.
Thank god no one was behind me, but that’s just a matter of time.
Anyone know how to remove the computer control of the brake?
There has to be a valve or actuator that I could mechanically remove to make it safe. I just have the thing parked and refuse to drive it.
When this happens, do you see an orange BRAKE warning appear in the instrument cluster or no?

If no, does the vehicle pull to one side while slowing down or does it stray in a straight line?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sometimes I do see braking warning, sometimes not.
first time I was going down interstate at 70mph. With no warning light or noise the truck slammed on the breaks.

Second major time was going down interstate at 70mph with cruse on, I hit the break to take an off ramp to another interstate, cruise control would not turn off. I had to turn cruse off with cancel button. Drove another 10 miles and was about 5 miles from house truck started to slow down like it was loosing power. By the time I got home and got out of the truck I realized it was the brakes slowing me down as the front rotors were blue and smoking.

Had dealer tow to garage. After few days they said they checked everything and nothing was wrong.

After those two highly dangerous problems, I will never drive it again until computer controlling brakes is removed.
Its got 600 miles on odometer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I understand your fear, but I highly doubt that brake assist can be removed. It is integrated, not a stand alone feature.

I expect it could be permanently disabled, but you will have lots of other systems affected and I can't see you finding a reputable mechanic willing to disable a safety feature.

If the dealer refuses to make any further efforts to reproduce/diagnose the problem, escalate it with Honda. If you still are not satisfied, sell it or trade it in.

·
Administrator
18,252 Posts
Yep. The OP could pull the VSA/ABS fuse(s), but they'd be blinded by all the warning lights and messages that would appear.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,469 Posts
Sometimes I do see braking warning, sometimes not.
first time I was going down interstate at 70mph. With no warning light or noise the truck slammed on the breaks.

Second major time was going down interstate at 70mph with cruse on, I hit the break to take an off ramp to another interstate, cruise control would not turn off. I had to turn cruse off with cancel button. Drove another 10 miles and was about 5 miles from house truck started to slow down like it was loosing power. By the time I got home and got out of the truck I realized it was the brakes slowing me down as the front rotors were blue and smoking.

Had dealer tow to garage. After few days they said they checked everything and nothing was wrong.

After those two highly dangerous problems, I will never drive it again until computer controlling brakes is removed.
Its got 600 miles on odometer.
Doubt you can "remove" the computer controlling the brakes, but if it was "keeping the brakes on" to the point where they were blue and smoking out would have been the camera/smartphone/flip phone and I would have evidence and then escalate it to Honda.

Totally agree with what was already said try another dealer and another after that

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
'21 Ridgeline RTL-E, '07 Ridgeline, '08 997TT
208 Posts
I have a 2021. I’ve had it for a month and it has never behaved in the manner described.

Get it fixed. It’s obviously broken.

·
Registered
116 Posts
were you going around a curve when this happened while the cruise mitigation was activated?
i actually had this happen while driving an HRV loaner -- I was coming off a curved bridge and to the left there was a lane to make a turn with a vehicle stopped there waiting to make said turn, and the hrv sensed it and while it didn't slam on the brakes it did engine brake and went from 60 mph down to 30 and I really had to step on the gas big time so I would not be rear ended by the vehicle behind me and the damn thing would not accelerate.

·
Administrator
18,252 Posts
Strange to say but they keep getting worse.
That's easy to believe and mirrored my experience for Ridgelines 1-5 ('07, '10, '14, '17, and '19) along with other Honda/Acura products I've owned. The '21 Ridgeline is okay so far, but it's got less than 400 miles on it.

The Canadian-built Ridgelines ('07-early '09) seemed better assembled. The Alabama plant where they've been built since then isn't known for outstanding quality.

The 07 [...] got the best gas mileage.
That's a little hard to believe unless your driving habits have changed significantly...or your brakes are dragging.

My 2010 averaged 18.0 MPG over 54K miles.
My 2014 averaged 17.7 MPG over 20K miles.

My 2017 averaged 20.7 MPG over 21K miles.
My 2019 averaged 20.3 MPG over 17K miles.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Along with the curvy road someone else mentioned, this could happen if the person in front of you is leaving the freeway and slows down a lot. Even if they are ‘not in your lane’ anymore, if they start to slow down too quickly in the exit lane, the vehicle might react. I’ve had this happen a couple times.

There could be an actual issue, or just something to get used to.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Along with the curvy road someone else mentioned, this could happen if the person in front of you is leaving the freeway and slows down a lot. Even if they are ‘not in your lane’ anymore, if they start to slow down too quickly in the exit lane, the vehicle might react. I’ve had this happen a couple times.

There could be an actual issue, or just something to get used to.
i certainly felt unsafe when that happened to me in that crv loaner because the system does not account for traffic coming right behind you

1 - 20 of 63 Posts