Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Most valuable option for resale ....

4K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  VinceP63 
#1 ·
I'm thinking the most valuable option for resale is AWD. :smile:
IMO, At just $1800 it's a steal and will assure demand for your used Ridgeline when you think it's time ... :wink:
I think it's also the one option, reguardless of trim level, that'll bring nearly it's full $1800 price tag with it used ... 0:)

#2 ·
AWD!

Second IMO would be the larger touchscreen display in the dash.

Reactions: ToneGuy007
#3 · (Edited)
I never used mine, not once; nor did my wife on her prior Pilot. Add in the slight mileage penalty and higher maintenance costs a 4wd/awd option is not for everyone. Unless you travel far outside of PC I doubt you will use it either.

My arguable assessment is come resell time it should look/smell good. Most car shoppers are fickle - and looking good (with a lower price) sells more than features.

Reactions: lslick23
#5 ·
AWD are a little more maintenance but there is nothing like the surefooted confidence AWD Ridgeline inspires in the snow. I've owned several 4wd p-ups/suvs over the years and for driving in snow up to 8" none beat RL. I didn't expect to keep my 08 RTL this long, not because of wear but because I'd be tired of it. Hasn't happened. I'm still proud of it and being garage kept and never smoked in it still looks real good. A few dings and nicks but you have to hunt to see them.

I love the bakflip. Not sure it would recoup cost at resale time but it would add some value and it is certainly useful and easy to live with. If something bad happened to mine I would replace it quick.

On Gen 1 I think side steps or nerf bars add value and utility. The door seam and frame bottom edge kind of has an unfinished look and the side steps/bars pulls the look together.

#6 ·
I think AWD is a good choice even if I live in Ft. Worth, Texas and never used it on my 2008 RTL. My 2008 only has 51,000 miles on it and I have never done any service on the AWD, dealer says no service needed with those miles. Personally if your going to keep your RL for some 6-8 years any trim model you buy at this time will most likely be out of date electronically and totally upgraded by Honda with new models, just like today's vehicles. I don't think you would see over two thousand difference in Kelly Blue Book between the RTS and the RTL-E over that time, mileage will be the big factor just as it is today.

trainman

#7 ·
You can't really say you never use AWD.

It's always on, so yes you've used it.

I'm not familiar with Hondas, did they ever have shiftable transfer cases or gearboxes for true 4x4?

#8 · (Edited)
I agree, AWD is by far the most valuable option available.

Biggest issue with pickups in general is the RWD coupled to an empty light rear end. A little wet pavement and they spin their wheels with ease and we won't mention how crap they are in snow. So you select 4wd and now you are fighting a stiff turning and bouncing steering configuration, almost seems like something is wrong with the vehicle, been there done that. Now the Ridgeline being FWD will perform much better in any slippery condition than any RWD could ever dream of and is a good option for those away from the snow belt or with little snow. That being said, AWD is the cats meow. Selecting 4wd as needed is kinda dumb if you ask me unless you are into real off roading. For normal everyday driving especially in areas that see winter nothing beats AWD IMHO. I have had quite a few 4wd pickups and several awd suv's and cars, I never off road and in my case AWD is the best thing out there. Thanks Honda for making this perfect example of pickup and SUV rolled up into one nice extremely well equipped package.

#9 ·
Unless you are into off-road/rock crawling I don't see the point of 4WD L and 4WD high options where you have to be concerned about there being "slippage" to avoid damaging the system. The RL is pretty much dialed in for my needs which is basically an AWD Pilot with a bed which is fine by me. What I like about AWD in any vehicle is the elimination of wheelspin when accelerating from a stop. And now you can get an SH-AWD (arguably one of the better AWD systems out there) variant in a Honda, without having to pay an Acura price to get it, I'll take it thank you!

#11 ·
In my nearly 40 years of driving, this will be the first 4wd/AWD vehicle I own. I've owned other cars and trucks, and have driven plenty of 4wd trucks at work, pulled many boats, trailers, etc. Almost never needed 4wd, and in those situations, i probably could have made it out with 2wd, anyway. But, we only average about 4 feet of snow per year, so not a big deal.

Tires are a bigger factor. A Fwd car with snow tires will run rings around a 4wd pickup with all-season tires, as long as the snow isn't more than 6 inches deep or so...

It's funny how things change. 30-40 years ago, 4wd was looked at as a necessary evil that you only purchased if you absolutely truly needed it. Nowadays, it is expected in almost all trucks and SUVs. In the old days, you got stuck and you asked your neighbor or other passersby for assistance. People don't want to do that today.. they'd rather be self-sufficient and not feel beholden to anybody.
Plus, social media has made us all anti-social.

#12 ·
Hands down AWD!

My first Audi A4 was FWD, it was fine 99% of the time. I really wanted my next A4 to have quattro, but it was an expensive $1,700 option. Turns out you get 100% of your $1,700 quattro investment back when you sell the car down the road, even in virtually snow-free Mississippi. There are lots of shoppers who won't even consider buying a FWD Audi. I predict the same for the Ridgeline and having owned a few AWD vehicles, I would not even consider buying a FWD Ridgeline.

#13 · (Edited)
When I moved to upstate NY, snow tires were not cutting it anymore with FWD. Sometimes you need to get started on a hill. As great as my Odysseys were, come winter time they weren't very effective with snows. Then we got a CRV AWD and put snows on it as we have always done with our other cars. There was no turning back, it was soo much easier to drive in the snow. Now you don't really have to worry about the weather too much because you know that you can go out if you have to which is usually the case for us. True, down south, I don't see the need for AWD/4WD. It's a much better option IMO than say, leather or the difference between an RTS and an RTL.

Having an Accord and CRV with Lanewatch I must say that it is a great feature and should be standard as it really helps for safety. The sensing is also a good feature but not worth going up to 42k, it should be a 1k option on all trims or even better standard as Toyota is now doing on many of its models.

#14 ·
Down south it rains hard, some times flood like conditions. AWD is a massive difference in these condtions. And we get snow down here, as well as ice, and black ice. AWD always if it's available on the vehicle. More traction is never a - in my book, even in the dry. even in normal dry conditions there could always be oil, coolant, or some kind of liquid on surface streets. There is a reason why Subaru is doing so well. They don't make anything in FWD.

#18 · (Edited)
Down south it rains hard, some times flood like conditions. AWD is a massive difference in these condtions. .
I keep seeing similiar comments on the forum and it's "rubbish". I've been driving in torrential rain for the last 2 months everyday and this thing plows thru it like nothing with zero slippage of any kind. Puts every FWD car I've ever owned to shame. Also it handles a curve at 80 mph per hour almost as well as my Focus ST did. LOVE this truck! Almost forgot but I think the whole truck itself is the biggest resale value compared to all the other mid-size trucks FWD or AWD.

#19 · (Edited)
The question I guess was for resale of 2017 model and I agree it with the AWD option of new model that also aids in driving/handling in all weather situation not just inclement weather. As with the 1st Gen Ridgeline VTM-4 is variable torque management system. It works automatically to achieve traction in different situations by varying levels of torque applied to the rear wheels when needed with out any input from you. So those that say they have never used it maybe completely wrong. They are referring to it's ability to lock the VTM-4 Lock button you push when using lower gears or reverse. So the torque management part you are using in the 1st Gen without doing anything. The 2nd is a bit different sending torque to different places that's all part of those systems and you won't have that in the FWD model.

#21 ·
I won't argue with those who feel the AWD system is important, in many areas (snow county) I would agree. Do I like it?
Yes, but in my case I do not find it necessary; I drive prudently and stick to mostly flat paved dry roads (with only a trace of snow once every dozen years).

Lastly I would point out, this AWD capability has the potential to make drivers feel invincible without any additional benefit to braking/steering in these same poor conditions.

#23 ·
As Arthur C. Clarke would say:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Not saying the AWD system is magic, but great to know it is there doing it's stuff. I am sure there are plenty of very experienced off road drivers on the forum, but for me, a simple to use system is great. As for comments here about transfer cases and hi/lo range, in all the work trucks I have driven, have used low range maybe three times in 25 years, always in situation the RL will never be in.

Torque converter gives you low range doesn't it?;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.