Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., so I noticed that my '06 RL was vibrating through the steering wheel (very slightly) at stop lights and when I lightly accelerated. At first I thought it was dirty injectors, a bad plug, etc. While checking everything out I noticed a brown, oily liquid running down the frame on the passenger side of the engine. I pulled the motor mount and sure enough, it was leaking. I ordered a new mount, but my question is: How often is just one mount bad? I have read a lot of threads where owners replace two or all three mounts but I haven't seen anyone who only replaced a right side mount. Could I have caught it in time to save damage to the others or am I just "wishful thinking"?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
You can replace just the bad one now, but you should consider replacing all of them -- they're all about the same age and have been exposed to the same loads, so there's a good chance you'll have another one go bad soon.

You'll save on the labor costs, since you'll only have to jack & support the motor once.

Chip H.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. I just hoped I could avoid the time and expense, but in my heart I know I will only be worrying about the older mounts until I replace them. This is too good a vehicle to short-change the maintenance. I can't imagine not having this truck....

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I do believe you'll find that to be the one most common to first failure. If it were me, I just replace the one & move on (having inspected the others of course to be sure they have not yet failed as well). You're probably going to find that replacing that one will put you back in good shape.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,434 Posts
Oldretiredcop,

Do you, or the previous owner, tow with your Ridgeline? How many miles do you have on your 06?

I believe there is a cause and effect relationship between towing and engine mount life due to hard torque twisting that the engine goes through when pulling. If your Ridgeline was never used for towing and it has a moderate amount of miles on it, then your case of motor mount failure is evidence that I may be wrong.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 129,000 miles on her right now. I have done some light towing, but nothing that would result in significant torque increases. I am planning to inspect all the mount and check bolts before moving on. After doing some research I have found there are a significant number of owners who have experienced failed mounts. I guess I shouldn't expect all of her parts to last forever!

Thanks guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts