Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to get some feedback from the forum on this.

I purchased the RL with 125k on the chassis. I as told that it was an auction car and not running, they replaced the motor, and said it had 70k on it. They told me they had all to documentation on it. It was in amazing condition, and I needed a replacement car fairly quickly being mine was crashed into and totaled. So I bought it. I cant get documentation on the motor. The dealership I bought it from says the place they got the motor had an issue with an employee who was pocketing money for parts sold, so they don't have any receipt for the motor, and no documentation on the mileage on the one they put in. My question is a legal one. They sold me the car with 125k on the chassis. If the motor has been replaced, and there is unknown mileage on the new motor, that would make the mileage exempt correct? If that were the case, obviously the book price would be lower. It would be harder for me to sell, especially for anything near what I paid, which was top of book because it is in great condition. I'm tempted to talk to an attorney about it but don't have money to throw at it if its not worth it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Vehicle mileage on the odometer is the mileage on the vehicle. The mileage on the engine does not matter. If the motor was new and installed yesterday, the mileage would still be the mileage on the odometer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Unfortunately if you didn't get the paperwork up front you're probably SOL. Curious though, how was it registered and what does the title say? I think it either has to say "actual mileage" or "mileage unknown". If the dealership transferred it as actual mileage, technically they lied and you may have a case if you can prove the engine is not original.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately if you didn't get the paperwork up front you're probably SOL. Curious though, how was it registered and what does the title say? I think it either has to say "actual mileage" or "mileage unknown". If the dealership transferred it as actual mileage, technically they lied and you may have a case if you can prove the engine is not original.
Well I called him today and told him I may need to run this by an attorney, he called back and now he says he has documentation on the motor, and will have it thursday when he gets back into town. So, I'll hold off for now. If I dont get anything I'll call my credit union and have them tell me how the title reads. According to the dealer, the motor has a different VIN, and so I should be able to prove its not original easy enough. They told me they did the swap, so I dont think there is anything fishy going on, and I half believe the story, but, I wouldnt have bought it without documented miles on the motor as they told me they had... lesson learned to get it first. Hopefully it works out.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Sorry man. I would still talk to an attorney even after he "produces" paperwork. This could cause problems later down the road for you if you wanted to resell etc. Might be able to get a few bucks back

·
Registered
122 Posts
You did not buy a motor. You bought a vehicle that had a motor in it. The motor numbers does not match the VIN. Any motor can be installed in a vehicle AND YOU STILL BOUGHT THE VEHICLE WITH THE VIN ON THE DASHBOARD.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,263 Posts
Multiple GEN 1 Ridgeline's on this forum have had the engine replaced, because of SMOD, and Cyl 4 related issues, your's won't be the first or the last with swapped engines

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You did not buy a motor. You bought a vehicle that had a motor in it. The motor numbers does not match the VIN. Any motor can be installed in a vehicle AND YOU STILL BOUGHT THE VEHICLE WITH THE VIN ON THE DASHBOARD.
Do you work for the dealer that sold it to him? Chill.

He wants documentation that what they said is true. (This is how we have to do it) When we swap in a used motor we are required to provide the VIN# to the donor vehicle and the documented mileage. That way with that info, it can be proven by the last documented mileage from the DMV. IF IT IS NOT DOCUMENTED THEN THERE IS NO WAY TO KNOW THAT HIS MOTOR DOESNT HAVE 200K MILES ON IT BECAUSE THE MOTOR WITH 70K WAS $3000 AND THE MOTOR WITH 200K ON IT WAS A SIX PACK OF KEYSTONE LIGHT!

To the OP. As far as I know, it does not need to be reported to the DMV if the motor was changed. Only if the odometer was changed to a used one. New ones can usually be adjusted to the correct mileage. You legally do not need to disclose to the next buyer that the engine has been changed, But if the engine has lower mileage it technically would be beneficial to have legit documented paperwork saying the miles are lower on the engine then on the chassis.

Now if he truly is lying and comes up with shoddy paperwork, being as it could cause you legal problems down the road...I would talk to an attorney. The motor could even be stolen...

·
Registered
122 Posts

He wants documentation that what they said is true. (This is how we have to do it) When we swap in a used motor we are required to provide the VIN# to the donor vehicle and the documented mileage. That way with that info, it can be proven by the last documented mileage from the DMV. IF IT IS NOT DOCUMENTED THEN THERE IS NO WAY TO KNOW THAT HIS MOTOR DOESNT HAVE 200K MILES ON IT BECAUSE THE MOTOR WITH 70K WAS $3000 AND THE MOTOR WITH 200K ON IT WAS A SIX PACK OF KEYSTONE LIGHT!

To the OP. As far as I know, it does not need to be reported to the DMV if the motor was changed. Only if the odometer was changed to a used one. New ones can usually be adjusted to the correct mileage. You legally do not need to disclose to the next buyer that the engine has been changed, But if the engine has lower mileage it technically would be beneficial to have legit documented paperwork saying the miles are lower on the engine then on the chassis.

Now if he truly is lying and comes up with shoddy paperwork, being as it could cause you legal problems down the road...I would talk to an attorney. The motor could even be stolen...
In NY the DMV does not care about the motor. Weather it is original or changed 5 times. If the salesman told him verbally that there is a newer motor in the vehicle and he believed him, buyer beware. There is 1 rule when buying a used vehicle from a dealer. The salesman is lying.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Good thought on having documentation on the motor. I didn't think about if it were stolen or something. At this point it sounds like getting it documented would be good for two things, a benefit if selling and it were replaced with a lower mileage engine, and second, that its not a stolen engine. If it turns out it has higher mileage, I'm SOL.

In NY the DMV does not care about the motor. Weather it is original or changed 5 times. If the salesman told him verbally that there is a newer motor in the vehicle and he believed him, buyer beware. There is 1 rule when buying a used vehicle from a dealer. The salesman is lying.
Yea, I got it. The point was just made that your delivery was a little on the aggro side. My OP already stated I was an idiot for not getting the documentation first... I got excited :x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts